The Student Room Group

Should I resit

So I don’t know if I should resit or not so I had taken my GCSEs last year and theses are the grades I got:
English literature: 4
English language:4
Maths : 2
Combined science: 3-3
History:2
Spanish:3
Business: 5
I want to resit maths, combined science and history to get into sixth form. The grades I would like to achieve for these exam are:
Maths: 5
Combined science: 5-5
History:6
I only have 3 month I have not decided if I should retake yet. I would like to retake but I only have 3 months to relearn all the topics and I also have to pay to resit so I don’t know if I want to resit or not because 3 months is a short period of time to learn everything. Is this doubtable? Should I resit?
Original post by Zaraa123
So I don’t know if I should resit or not so I had taken my GCSEs last year and theses are the grades I got:
English literature: 4
English language:4
Maths : 2
Combined science: 3-3
History:2
Spanish:3
Business: 5
I want to resit maths, combined science and history to get into sixth form. The grades I would like to achieve for these exam are:
Maths: 5
Combined science: 5-5
History:6
I only have 3 month I have not decided if I should retake yet. I would like to retake but I only have 3 months to relearn all the topics and I also have to pay to resit so I don’t know if I want to resit or not because 3 months is a short period of time to learn everything. Is this doubtable? Should I resit?

Why were your grades as they were the first time around? Have you worked out what to do to change the outcome?
What have you been doing since you got these grades? Why are you only now considering retakes?
What is your goal for after you leave school/college? What do you need to reach that goal?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gdunne42
Why were your grades as they were the first time around? Have you worked out what to do to change the outcome?
What have you been doing since you got these grades? Why are you only now considering retakes?
What is your goal for after you leave school/college? What do you need to reach that goal?

The reason my grades were so low the first time round was because I only started revising the month before and my revision was really terrible like I would make notes and just read them so it was passive revision not active and I have learnt from my mistake and have got the CGP books to revise from and flash cards. I am going to change my grade by doing my active recall and more practice and following the specification. After I go theses grade I have decided to go on and do a level 2 extended certificate in business which is apparently equivalent to 5 GCSEs but the reason I have decided to retake now is because I originally didn’t plan on going to my college I planned on going to sixth form and studying 1 A level and 2 level 3 BTECS but because I didn’t get the grades I couldn’t so I contacted my sixth form and asked if they would accept my because I have the equivalents of GCSE but they said that they don’t accept this and they need the real GCSEs set so this is why I resitting I am determined to pass this time but it’s sometimes I lose motivate and think I can’t do it because of past grades but can I do this in 3 months because I also have to pay to do these. I would like to go into uni and do an LLB in law
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Zaraa123
The reason my grades were so low the first time round was because I only started revising the month before and my revision was really terrible like I would make notes and just read them so it was passive revision not active and I have learnt from my mistake and have got the CGP books to revise from and flash cards. I am going to change my grade by doing my active recall and more practice and following the specification. After I go theses grade I have decided to go on and do a level 2 extended certificate in business which is apparently equivalent to 5 GCSEs but the reason I have decided to retake now is because I originally didn’t plan on going to my college I planned on going to sixth form and studying 1 A level and 2 level 3 BTECS but because I didn’t get the grades I couldn’t so I contacted my sixth form and asked if they would accept my because I have the equivalents of GCSE but they said that they don’t accept this and they need the real GCSEs set so this is why I resitting I am determined to pass this time but it’s sometimes I lose motivate and think I can’t do it because of past grades but can I do this in 3 months because I also have to pay to do these. I would like to go into uni and do an LLB in law

It's hard for anyone who doesn't know you well to guess at your potential and how realistic you are being. What will your college allow you to do if you successfully complete the L2 BTEC? It feels to me like the goals you have to improve your GCSE grades so that you might be accepted back to a sixth form (or might not) are very ambitious and hard to achieve without you risk underperforming on your BTEC.

I think I would definitely retake maths GCSE work hard on the L2 BTEC and build a plan for the next steps with my college.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gdunne42
It's hard for anyone who doesn't know you well to guess at your potential and how realistic you are being. What will your college allow you to do if you successfully complete the L2 BTEC? It feels to me like the goals you have to improve your GCSE grades so that you might be accepted back to a sixth form (or might not) are very ambitious and hard to achieve without you risk underperforming on your BTEC.

I think I would definitely retake maths GCSE work hard on the L2 BTEC and build a plan for the next steps with my college.

For my L2 BTEC I am predicted D*D. I used to revise really terribly before but I have learn how to revise properly and I am getting much better grades. It’s just that if 3 months in enough for me to cover all the content for combined science, maths and history. I have CGP books to revise from as well for the exams I am prepared but I don’t know if I will be able to cover everything in 3 months
(edited 1 year ago)
Okay if you're determined to go to sixth form... how many passes do you need for sixth form entry?
If it's just 5 passes that you need, resit the Maths and one other (either the History or the combined Science).
You already have 3 passes so you only need 2 more.

However I think personally you should stick with the L2 BTEC, then go on and do an L3 extended BTEC, and just forget about the sixth form.
Still resit Maths though because universities and employers will want you to have that.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Okay if you're determined to go to sixth form... how many passes do you need for sixth form entry?
If it's just 5 passes that you need, resit the Maths and one other (either the History or the combined Science).
You already have 3 passes so you only need 2 more.

However I think personally you should stick with the L2 BTEC, then go on and do an L3 extended BTEC, and just forget about the sixth form.
Still resit Maths though because universities and employers will want you to have that.

My sixth form requires 5 GCSE at grade 4 for Applied courses and then 5 GCSE at grade 5 for A level so if I get another 5 and the rest 4s then I can do A level and 2 BTEC. But would 3 months be enough to learn the content and how many hours should I be revising a day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending