The Student Room Group

Swapping a levels

I've applied for sixth form to study chem, bio, psych, and math. I got all A* for these in mocks and got good recommendations. However, I thoroughly enjoy gcse Spanish, and got A* in that mock. So I'm thinking of swapping either math or psych for Spanish a level. I'm planning on going into biomed science if that helps. Advice?
Original post by Jasmineh0107
I've applied for sixth form to study chem, bio, psych, and math. I got all A* for these in mocks and got good recommendations. However, I thoroughly enjoy gcse Spanish, and got A* in that mock. So I'm thinking of swapping either math or psych for Spanish a level. I'm planning on going into biomed science if that helps. Advice?

Knowing an extra language can result in a higher salary, and if you want to go into biomed science it can be useful for out reach. You can do all four of those but that’ll be stressful. I hope this helps :smile:
a language is always useful if you keep it up. it can expand your career overseas, or even allow you to take a year abroad during your degree or for an internship scheme. just be aware that there will be quite a jump from GCSE to A level in any language, but it is so rewarding in my opinion - whichever career you want to go into.

Hiya! I do A-Levels at the moment and I also intend to do biomedical science at uni. I take chem, bio, and psych. I am retaking year 12 and last year I did chem, bio, and maths. Personally, I have found psych to be WAY more important and helpful for not only the modules in a biomed degree but also to compliment bio and chem. The 3 subjects interlink much more than maths (through my experience). In my opinion, you need bio, chem, and psych but a language like spanish does boost your career prospects so if you feel like you are capable of 4 A-Levels then I would choose spanish over maths. The key thing is to do what you enjoy and get the grades in bio and chem!! Hope this helps and good luck!:smile:

Hey Jasmineh0107,

Well done on your mocks you're doing great!
I'm at university studying biomedical science and I would strongly recommend sticking with A level maths as it will really help you when you get to statistics modules and quantitative skills. Biomed does involve a lot of equations in your chemistry modules and microbiology.

It is possible to get accepted onto the degree without A level maths (like me) if you do well at GCSE but your first year will go a lot easier with knowledge of maths at the higher level. There's a big jump between GCSE and A level in all subjects so best of luck for what you choose to do.

If you've got any questions about biomed let me know. This is the course that I'm doing and I'm in my second year:
https://www.essex.ac.uk/courses/ug00039/3/bsc-biomedical-science

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Quick Reply

Latest