The Student Room Group

How many university students would like to take a questionnaire regarding ChatGPT

I want to find out how students use ChatGPT and how often they use it, what their grades are, what their stress levels were before using ChatGPT and what it was after- I'm just gauging interest for now
It's a little pointless using ChatGPT, it's like looking at solutions when you are doing past-papers, doesn't really help you.
Reply 2
Original post by CompSciJP
It's a little pointless using ChatGPT, it's like looking at solutions when you are doing past-papers, doesn't really help you.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's pointless using ChatGPT. People who struggle with things like "writer's block" or the equivalent of that in the academic field can use ChatGPT to produce suggestions of what to write or how to structure things- and although ChatGPT may not be entirely factually accurate or its methods may not be the best in academics, it IS fed a LOT of data and is trained specifically to respond with the most appropriate answer.

I'm certain if you asked ChatGPT how you could use ChatGPT effectively in academia, it would probably produce a response that would introduce ideas you may not have thought about before.
(edited 1 year ago)
I would still go as far as to say it is pointless, if a writers method for getting over "writer's block" is using a language AI, they will lack skills in the future that will help them overcome such an issue.

This is applicable to all fields in academia.
Reply 4
Original post by CompSciJP
I would still go as far as to say it is pointless, if a writers method for getting over "writer's block" is using a language AI, they will lack skills in the future that will help them overcome such an issue.

This is applicable to all fields in academia.

You bring up a fair point. Out sourcing tasks that is necessary to the development of skills crucial to any field, let alone the academic field could always have negative implications. But the primary issue would be an over-reliance on tools capable of completing said tasks. Although this is just pure speculation, it is not unreasonable to say that finding a balance with utilising said tool could improve other important aspects of one's life, especially that of students. It also is not unreasonable to assume that university students suffer from a considerate amount of relative stress; Adolescents being introduced to the world of the typical working adult in industry or academia would usually lack appropriate methods of dealing with stress. The free time they could potentially possess from properly applying a language model to assist their studies could lessen that stress and even improve the development of skills relevant to dealing with stress.

Again, you could ask the AI exactly how it could be utilised in any field, not just academia, and it would give you a fairly decent response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending