The Student Room Group

Edge Hill Primary Education Interview Task

Hi,
I recently applied for a primary education with QTS course at Edge Hill and I've been given the opportunity to have an interview.
Their website says i need to present a 4-5 minute task before the interview begins, the task being any one of 4 choices. At the end of the task subheading it states:
"As a teacher, you will need to teach a wide variety of subjects. Research the Primary National Curriculum and choose one subject to share with the interviewer(s):

1. You will need to reflect if this curriculum area challenges or excites you, and why.
2. Why this subject is important.
3. How you may approach teaching this subject." I don't fully understand what this means nor do i see the connection to the main task, do i link them? is it a part of my presentation? will the interviewer simply ask me questions based on the second part?
Any and all help is appreciated.
Original post by huge man
Hi,
I recently applied for a primary education with QTS course at Edge Hill and I've been given the opportunity to have an interview.
Their website says i need to present a 4-5 minute task before the interview begins, the task being any one of 4 choices. At the end of the task subheading it states:
"As a teacher, you will need to teach a wide variety of subjects. Research the Primary National Curriculum and choose one subject to share with the interviewer(s):

1. You will need to reflect if this curriculum area challenges or excites you, and why.
2. Why this subject is important.
3. How you may approach teaching this subject." I don't fully understand what this means nor do i see the connection to the main task, do i link them? is it a part of my presentation? will the interviewer simply ask me questions based on the second part?
Any and all help is appreciated.

Hi @huge man,

It's really exciting that you have secured an interview and I can see why you've reached out on here for a bit of help. First, I would consider what their expectations are of you - they won't expect you to know everything. If you did, there wouldn't be much point of starting the course.

A lot will depend on the subject you choose for your presentation but my guess is that through this task, they are looking at your understanding of education as whole. A few points I would suggest are:
1) It's important that you talk about subject knowledge. A key part of planning and preparing lessons involves research. A key challenge is making sure that the knowledge you are teaching the children is age-appropriate and also builds on a child's previous knowledge. For example, in history they might be learning about Vikings as invaders and settlers. As a teacher, it's important to consider what comes before and what comes after this unit of learning and how you, as the teacher, can develop their overall understanding of history.
2) It's also important to refer to the journey of a child's development throughout school. Again, considering history, they will learn this from Y1-6 but this learning links directly to what they learned in Early Years. As well as this, it's knowing what the children need to know and what skills they need to take into KS3.
3) The importance of the subject will refer to the skills and knowledge a child gains from it. It also gives opportunities for a child's social and emotional development and overall knowledge of the world around them e.g. some science and geography areas can help children gain an awareness of the challenges our planet faces, history can develop an awareness of justice, conflict etc.
4) In terms of the approach to teaching a subject, a lot of the information above is relevant - a teacher needs to consider what a child's existing knowledge should be and make sure this is built upon in a realistic, age-appropriate and aspirational way. As mentioned earlier, I doubt they would expect you to refer to teaching strategies and research into these areas as this would be a key part of their course.

I hope this helps!

If anyone out there needs any help with the application process for Initial Teacher Training and you are looking to start this in the next few years, you can sign up for an adviser today. We are all experienced teachers offering free, impartial advice and we work hard to help candidates prepare for an application through bespoke, 1-to-1 support. Here is the link to get an adviser: https://adviser-getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

You can also get personalised guidance to your inbox here: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/mailinglist/signup

Thanks,

Richard

Quick Reply

Latest