The Student Room Group

Oxford and Cambridge Reject

I've been hearing that Durham University is the place where Oxford and Cambridge rejects go and when I first heard it I thought it was a good thing since that means it's only a league below Oxford and Cambridge, literally the most prestigious universities.
But everyone seems to be saying it in a bad light?
Am I just really dense😭
"Oxbridge Reject" although it literally means people who've been rejected from Oxbridge, it also describes a sort of mentality. It's hard to describe, I suggest that you do your own research! Although Durham is academically a fantastic university, it has been involved in many "scandals" and such. Similar to every university.
Original post by venusbby
"Oxbridge Reject" although it literally means people who've been rejected from Oxbridge, it also describes a sort of mentality. It's hard to describe, I suggest that you do your own research! Although Durham is academically a fantastic university, it has been involved in many "scandals" and such. Similar to every university.

It's my top choice at this moment but after talking to everyone it has really made me skeptical if going there will be worth it lol, I guess I'll just have to wait for decisions from other universities.
The stereotype assigned to the university is common among many institutions and shouldn't influence your decision to attend the university.
Yes, it is often touted that Durham is Oxbridge reject central. However, Durham's still an extremely prestigious uni though.
Original post by CompSciJP
The stereotype assigned to the university is common among many institutions and shouldn't influence your decision to attend the university.

It does concern me a little when the stereotype around it concerns with classism, racism etc.
The majority of Durham is private school students and very 'posh' and as someone from a working class family I don't want that to affect my experience.
The student life also seems a little meh from what I can tell but academically its a very good university.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Yes, it is often touted that Durham is Oxbridge reject central. However, Durham's still an extremely prestigious uni though.

It does have very good ranking!
Original post by materialgw0rld
It does concern me a little when the stereotype around it concerns with classism, racism etc.
The majority of Durham is private school students and very 'posh' and as someone from a working class family I don't want that to affect my experience.
The student life also seems a little meh from what I can tell but academically its a very good university.

Where else have you applied to?
Original post by venusbby
Where else have you applied to?

Hi, I applied to Uni of Leeds, Dundee, Durham, Glasgow and KCL
It's my top choice at this moment but after talking to everyone it has really made me skeptical if going there will be worth it lol, I guess I'll just have to wait for decisions from other universities.

They are well-known for messing people around if they miss their offers ...
Original post by Muttley79
They are well-known for messing people around if they miss their offers ...

what do you mean

Firstly, stereotypes are the last thing you should be basing your uni on.

Second, being the destination for Oxbridge rejects is not a bad thing. Those who apply to Oxbridge are themselves very bright students with a great academic record etc. The fact that Durham is their destination of choice should lend credibility to the uni as a good, prestigious uni. Don’t let the tag put you off.
Original post by _shehryar_
Firstly, stereotypes are the last thing you should be basing your uni on.

Second, being the destination for Oxbridge rejects is not a bad thing. Those who apply to Oxbridge are themselves very bright students with a great academic record etc. The fact that Durham is their destination of choice should lend credibility to the uni as a good, prestigious uni. Don’t let the tag put you off.

That is exactly what I thought like why is it a bad thing if its a Oxbridge reject...
what do you mean

Say your offer is A*AA and you get A* in the 'wrong' subject - people have waited weeks for a rejection/acceptance decision in August and therefore missed good options in clearing.
Original post by Muttley79
Say your offer is A*AA and you get A* in the 'wrong' subject - people have waited weeks for a rejection/acceptance decision in August and therefore missed good options in clearing.

ahh I see, that's not very nice of them😭
That is exactly what I thought like why is it a bad thing if its a Oxbridge reject...

You see, generally speaking, an "Oxbridge reject" isn't just everyone that has been rejected from Oxbridge, but people who've been rejected and their ego took a bit of a battering, thinking themselves too good for anywhere else other than Oxbridge, or maybe not necessarily that but they took their rejection too much to heart. Durham attracts these Oxbridge rejects, not necessarily because they genuinely want to go to Durham, but because Durham is largely a copycat of Oxford and Cambridge. That is why it's usually said as if it were a bad thing. It's not necessarily bad but it is what it is.

My personal opinion is that it'd be silly to not go to Durham if that's where you want to go, just because a chunk of the student body is there because the uni is a copycat of the uni they really wanted to go.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Scotland Yard
You see, generally speaking, an "Oxbridge reject" isn't just everyone that has been rejected from Oxbridge, but people who've been rejected and their ego took a bit of a battering, thinking themselves too good for anywhere else other than Oxbridge, or maybe not necessarily that but they took their rejection too much to heart. Durham attracts these Oxbridge rejects, not necessarily because they genuinely want to go to Durham, but because Durham is largely a copycat of Oxford and Cambridge. That is why it's usually said as if it were a bad thing. It's not necessarily bad but it is what it is.

My personal opinion is that it'd be silly to not go to Durham if that's where you want to go, just because a chunk of the student body is there because the uni is a copycat of the uni they really wanted to go.

Oh now it makes sense why people kept saying it in a bad light, trying my best to not let those stereotypes affect my decision :smile:.
Been browsing through TSR the past hour or so and it's actually so helpful (hehe new user) while there have been bad experiences I saw a lot of people saying they really enjoy their time at Durham.

Quick Reply

Latest