The Student Room Group

How to choose your subject combination in AS Level Math's Edexcel?

Hi, guys
I am a little confused about how to choose my maths paper combination.
Should I choose Pure maths 1, 2 and mechanics 1 or pure math 1, 2 and Statistics 1? I also wanted to know whether it is okay to only take pure maths 1 and 2 with no mechanics or stats in AS Level.
Original post by ila-22
Hi, guys
I am a little confused about how to choose my maths paper combination.
Should I choose Pure maths 1, 2 and mechanics 1 or pure math 1, 2 and Statistics 1? I also wanted to know whether it is okay to only take pure maths 1 and 2 with no mechanics or stats in AS Level.

Should I choose Pure maths 1, 2 and mechanics 1 or pure math 1, 2 and Statistics 1?
It depends on whether you like mechanics or statistics more and which of the 2 subjects you will be better in.
Mechanics is more physics based, but still involves calculations. Statistics involve less maths, but far more interpreation

whether it is okay to only take pure maths 1 and 2 with no mechanics or stats in AS Level.
Nope. You will need to take either mechanics or stats. It's a preprequisite that you take a paper outside of pure maths for AS
Reply 2
Thanks a lot. One more thing if I take stats in AS, can I continue it in A Levels too? Because I heard from someone that if you take stats in AS then in A levels you have to take mechanics or vice versa.
Original post by MindMax2000
Should I choose Pure maths 1, 2 and mechanics 1 or pure math 1, 2 and Statistics 1?
It depends on whether you like mechanics or statistics more and which of the 2 subjects you will be better in.
Mechanics is more physics based, but still involves calculations. Statistics involve less maths, but far more interpreation

whether it is okay to only take pure maths 1 and 2 with no mechanics or stats in AS Level.
Nope. You will need to take either mechanics or stats. It's a preprequisite that you take a paper outside of pure maths for AS
Original post by ila-22
Thanks a lot. One more thing if I take stats in AS, can I continue it in A Levels too? Because I heard from someone that if you take stats in AS then in A levels you have to take mechanics or vice versa.

Are you doing International A Levels or UK A Levels?

In UK A Levels, we either do AS or the full A Level. You can't do AS then come back to do A2 as an "upgrade" to your qualification.
Having said that, you do need to cover both mechanics and statistics in the full A Level. See Page 9:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-mathematics-specification-issue4.pdf

If you are doing International A Levels, then you will need to check with EdExcel. I can't see anything mentioned in their specification (https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/2018/Specification-and-Sample-Assessment/International-A-Level-Maths-Spec-Issue3.pdf) that says you can go from AS to full A Level. Having said that, the options for a full A Level are (page 16):

M1 and S1 or

M1 and D1 or

M1 and M2 or

S1 and D1 or

S1 and S2

Nowhere does it say that you have to do mechanics if you did stats or you have to do stats if you did mechanics. The only times when that is the case is if D1, M2, and S2 are not available as options, which won't make sense.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
Are you doing International A Levels or UK A Levels?

In UK A Levels, we either do AS or the full A Level. You can't do AS then come back to do A2 as an "upgrade" to your qualification.
Having said that, you do need to cover both mechanics and statistics in the full A Level. See Page 9:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-mathematics-specification-issue4.pdf

If you are doing International A Levels, then you will need to check with EdExcel. I can't see anything mentioned in their specification (https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/2018/Specification-and-Sample-Assessment/International-A-Level-Maths-Spec-Issue3.pdf) that says you can go from AS to full A Level. Having said that, the options for a full A Level are (page 16):

M1 and S1 or

M1 and D1 or

M1 and M2 or

S1 and D1 or

S1 and S2

Nowhere does it say that you have to do mechanics if you did stats or you have to do stats if you did mechanics. The only times when that is the case is if D1, M2, and S2 are not available as options, which won't make sense.

Thanks a lot for providing me with all this information. I'll definitely check the links you have shared. Actually, all this info that I need is for my cousin who just got admitted to an International EDEXCEL school. He didn't have any idea about the curriculum before the admission so he turned to me for help regarding the choice of subjects. Just like him I too am relatively new to the EDEXCEL curriculum as I was a CIE student. Well, I helped him choose his subjects but Maths was a problem as I didn't know which combination would be the best. Thankfully you helped me a lot with this, now it will be a lot easier to choose the combinations.

Quick Reply

Latest