The Student Room Group

Creative Writing MA requirements

Does anyone know if you can apply for a master's in Creative Writing with a degree in practical Filmmaking? I've heard that you need to have a degree in a humanities subject if looking to apply for Creative Writing. Does anyone have any experience with applying for a MA different to your BA? Thanks
Original post by tsarka
Does anyone know if you can apply for a master's in Creative Writing with a degree in practical Filmmaking? I've heard that you need to have a degree in a humanities subject if looking to apply for Creative Writing. Does anyone have any experience with applying for a MA different to your BA? Thanks

Hey :smile:

I do not have background in humanities, but I'll just put this out there in case you find it helpful. At Essex Uni, to get into MA Creative Writing we accept 2.2 degree in: Creative Writing, Theatre/Drama Studies, Literature, Media Studies, Art History, Music, Philosophy, History, Performing Arts, Journalism, Politics and Sociology.

I suppose your BA degree in practical Filmmaking falls under the umbrella of Media Studies, so I don't see a problem there! However, it might be helpful to call the Admissions office of the Universities you're interested in and ask (or email them), this is what I would personally do. Sometimes they will give you the Department's email and you can ask the Department directly, it depends on the approaches of different universities.

Again, not 100%, but I hope this helped a bit.

Good luck with your studies :biggrin:
xx Angela (Official Essex Rep)
You'll need a portfolio of writing first and foremost, so the degree subject is less important.
Original post by tsarka

Hi @tsarka,

It really depends on the degree programme. Creative writing programmes - especially at MA level - tend to be a more flexible in their entry requirements because writers often come from all sorts of backgrounds, with many turning to creative writing later in life or developing it alongside their careers before choosing to study it formally.

At Keele, for example, the requirement of our MA Creative Writing is to have an honours degree (2:2 or above) but we don't specify what subject that has to be in and will also consider recognising prior learning (known as RPL, or sometimes AoPL, i.e., other modes of study, or an individual's experiences and achievements), depending on an individual's circumstances. Our admissions team are always happy to discuss this with potential applicants, as is the Programme Director.

Instead of the degree subject, the focus for our admissions is upon the 'portfolio of work' that we ask applicants to the programme to submit which, for us, should consist of 10-15 poems and/or 5,000-6,000 words of prose. We also usually interview candidates prior to making an offer.

You can find out more about our MA course and its entry requirements at https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/postgraduatestudy/postgraduatecourses/creativewriting, and about what we mean by Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) at https://www.keele.ac.uk/qa/programmesandmodules/recognitionofpriorlearning/.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Amy Louise
Student Ambassador, Keele University
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending