The Student Room Group

Deal

Hhhhhh
(edited 1 year ago)
There are lots of skills you can use to help when feeling anxious. Look at things like grounding skills, which allow you to focus and remain in the present, and mindfulness, which allows you to manage feeling emotionally overwhelmed.
Original post by Asadhumanbean
One of the most difficult things about dealing with anxiety is doing the rational thinking process that is used to deal with anxious thoughts about a situation…. Like people always say really whats the worst that could happen? Or your being paranoid? But the difficult thing is as an anxiety sufferer is that in the past, we may have said at one point “what’s the worst that can happen” and then the thing that we feared the most happening does actually end up happening…so in the future, their/my fears are justified…

Does anyone get what I’m saying? How can I deal with this?

If you are not seeing a professional CBT or Psychologist I would contact your local General practitioner and request the service. Alternatively if away from home I would contact student support and set-up a meeting with the College, University. Sometimes because we believe in things so strongly is the we subconsciously or even consciously make that thing come to pass in our lives.

I reign in my anxiety by focusing on evidence, my contribution towards events but more importantly letting go and changing the dynamic of the eventual outcome. I am reactionary and can become snappy like a little Chihuahua. I know something happening but I am not necessary able voice what it is in the way that others can understand. I went to see a Psychologist though she was sceptical, she told me I needed to have evidence. I almost went into paranoia but her advice saved me,it a weird thing you no something but you don't have evidence. However years later I found that a friend had been spreading unpleasant untrue rumours about me at time. This is why my peer at that the time had dissociated themselves and kept me at arms length.

I had two very stressful years with Covid, brain fog and it necessitated that I abort my studies in addition I was dealing with a an adult who though I am medically trained had in my personal opinion had personality disorder. She held a position of power over me and after watching Youtube video of Professor Tara Brabazon who helped me realise that I needed to cut my losses and go elsewhere. My brother who is a Computer Science teacher also recommended this course of action. I am now doing just one A level this year the rest will be done in the next academic year.

Covid was one of the best things to happened in that the those in wider society also suffered from mental health issues, because lockdown meant that it was no longer so stigmatised.

Controversial Professor Peterson:

Professor Jordan Peterson it easy to be strong when things are going well for one. Peterson had a nervous breakdown when his support disintegrated, support structure was his wife who died of Cancer.
These HABITS will CURE ANY MENTAL ILLNESS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7U2JjX-38c
Meditation:
Laura Day - Meditation by Crisis Response Type: Anxiety
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1VAaPP-EjE
Laura Day on Recognizing Anxiety vs. Intuition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEWguhKcId0
I recommend Conquer worry and anxiety by Dr Daniel G Amen
Healing anxiety and depression by Dr Daniel G Amen

The things I've discussed have worked for me, bear in mind we are different people, different life experiences, ages perhaps cultures. If nothing here works for you then perhaps something else may work for you.

All the best...
One of the most difficult things about dealing with anxiety is doing the rational thinking process that is used to deal with anxious thoughts about a situation…. Like people always say really whats the worst that could happen? Or your being paranoid? But the difficult thing is as an anxiety sufferer is that in the past, we may have said at one point “what’s the worst that can happen” and then the thing that we feared the most happening does actually end up happening…so in the future, their/my fears are justified…

Hi there,
Dealing with anxiety can be difficult. I would recommend looking at relaxation videos on YouTube and meditation videos on YouTube too, it can take commitment for them to work but for some can definitely be worth it. Other things I would recommend are box breathing and writing everything down when you feel yourself spiralling. It can take a while to find what works for you.

I hope that this helps,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador

I so understand. I get anxious doing normal things like walking down the road from uni after class to buy something’s from different shops. I get anxious walking the dogs on my own - worse when it’s somewhere that I haven’t walked them for a while.

A few other things I hate when people say are:
There is no need to get stressed or anxious
Just calm down
Stop getting so worked up

I also hate it when I yhink - oh other people would not feel like this. They would not be anxious about this.

I hate being so anxious but I can’t help it

Quick Reply

Latest