The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Accomodation

Loads of the suggestions about the best bristol accommodation are from 6 years ago, so I was wondering if anyone had any recent suggestions about which halls are the best/the different aspects of each halls.
I read through those threads over and over, and to me not much has changed. Stoke Bishop is still way up there and the stereotypes are actually really true. I'm in SB so know mostly about those and so won't have as much to say about the other villages.

On the whole far out and you'll need the bus everywhere. Has the catered halls that people say attract the posh 'boarding school' kids. People are friendly and most are eager to go out.

Hiatt Baker catered/Wills/Churchill: Generally considered posh, most people narrow it down to just Wills but I think many people do give a certain vibe. I'm not in any of them but I don't think you have many kitchen facilities, and you only get a kettle, microwave, toaster and fridge. HB is closest to the bus stop out of all the halls. Wills has its own stop but it's still a trek to there and at peak hours it gets full so you'll need to go to the main stop anyway. Churchill is the furthest away, could be a 10 minute hike.

Hiatt Baker self-catered: Gives fairly standard Stoke Bishop vibes to me. Massive flats and kitchens I think. Very close to the bus as with catered. I might be moving there next week so might have more to say.

Badock: Where I am now. Feels standard like HB, something is on most days and people like to have fun. It gets the druggy name but it's not really true, not just Badock does it. Also split into catered and self catered. I'm in catered, and also feel it gathers a bit of the Wills feel from some people. Very basic pantry facilities as well. I don't think that's the case for self catered blocks, most people put that posh reputation on the catered ones only. They should also have nice kitchens. The shower situation in my flat is appalling, one shower between 10 of us and the stuff in there are kind of broken.

Durdham: Still stereotypically dead. I don't know much about them, except one time one guy tried to invite people to his birthday party and when they got there it was silent.

University Halls: Famous for being cheap, almost half the price of some of the catered ones. I heard the rooms are very basic, and the kitchen I went to was very small. People are great though, I met a few of them at the Thekla queue the other day and we had a good night.

West Village: I'm only basing this on Goldney which is the only one I've been to. It's a nice place and the people are great. It doesn't have the party name of SB, but people are definitely happy to go out. Just what you'd expect with self catered halls. Walkable distance to uni and shops aren't too far.

City Centre: Has a reputation of being less active and mostly international students. Some say they can be a bit closed off. The people I know there usually go out with people from other halls.

East Village: I actually don't really know much about them, but think they should be decent.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Do you have to pack up everything for the holidays?? Couldn't find any info on the website
Original post by Firefly9587
Do you have to pack up everything for the holidays?? Couldn't find any info on the website

I have looked at Bristol's student accommodation. The cheapest and also the shortest tenancy length is 38 weeks, from start of school year mid Sep till early June, whilst most others are 42 weeks, mid Sep till early Jul, and some have options for 51 weeks. You will have to check individually.

Judging by the number of weeks, students won't be expected to pack up during Xmas and Easter breaks.

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/about/villages/

NB: "When you receive an accommodation offer, the start date and end date of your tenancy will be clearly stated in your tenancy agreement and in your accommodation offer email. You must check these dates before signing your tenancy agreement."
Original post by Firefly9587

Yeah the tenancies are a bit different but a lot of them are for the whole year

Quick Reply

Latest