The Student Room Group

BTEC 90 Credit Diploma/Extended Diploma

Hi. I am currently in my final year of secondary school and am applying for Sixth Forms and colleges, however I am confused regarding the college course.
I want to study an Extended Diploma in Applied Science, however on the website for my college it says the Extended Diploma is designed for those already with a 90 Credit Diploma and wish to top it up. The 90 Credit Diploma and Extended Diploma all add up to 3 years, is this correct? Quite confused. Thanks!
Hey there :smile:

When I was doing my BTEC health and social care the first year was the National Foundation Diploma. In second year we could either carry on with health and social care or choose to do the Health Studies pathway which gave us the National Extended Diploma. If I had chosen to leave after first year, I would’ve only finished with a Merit grade in Health and Social Care, with the BTEC National Foundation Diploma.

I imagine that this is similar, where you need to do a course beforehand and then can do the applied science one. I think you need to do the 90 credit diploma which I imagine is a foundation diploma before being able to do the second course in applied science.

Which course and college is this for? I could have a read of it and can try and give some more advice regarding this?
Reply 2
Ihttps://www.wmc.ac.uk/courses/science/btec-applied-science-medical-science-90-credit-diploma-s143=

https://www.wmc.ac.uk/courses/science/btec-applied-science-extended-diploma-s201

First course (90 credit) is 36 weeks and second course (Extended Diploma) is 2 years. Doesn’t really make sense that’d it be 3 years, surely?
Original post by Simone1236
Hey there :smile:

When I was doing my BTEC health and social care the first year was the National Foundation Diploma. In second year we could either carry on with health and social care or choose to do the Health Studies pathway which gave us the National Extended Diploma. If I had chosen to leave after first year, I would’ve only finished with a Merit grade in Health and Social Care, with the BTEC National Foundation Diploma.

I imagine that this is similar, where you need to do a course beforehand and then can do the applied science one. I think you need to do the 90 credit diploma which I imagine is a foundation diploma before being able to do the second course in applied science.

Which course and college is this for? I could have a read of it and can try and give some more advice regarding this?
Original post by LewisTh
Hi. I am currently in my final year of secondary school and am applying for Sixth Forms and colleges, however I am confused regarding the college course.
I want to study an Extended Diploma in Applied Science, however on the website for my college it says the Extended Diploma is designed for those already with a 90 Credit Diploma and wish to top it up. The 90 Credit Diploma and Extended Diploma all add up to 3 years, is this correct? Quite confused. Thanks!

It's a 2 year course in total.,the 90 credit diploma is year 1 and the Extended Diploma is the second year.
Reply 4
Original post by bamtutor
It's a 2 year course in total.,the 90 credit diploma is year 1 and the Extended Diploma is the second year.

On the website it says the Extended Diploma is 2 years? I also thought it was two years but saw that recently.
Original post by bamtutor

This does sound really similar to what I had done. At the end of the two years I had done, I’ve walked away with the equivalent of three A levels. A lot of universities (if you’re thinking of going to university) will accept the BTEC course and will state what grade or UCAS tariff points they want (your overall grade will convert into tariff points, for example mine is DDM so it’s 128 points).

You’ve got this :smile:
Original post by LewisTh
On the website it says the Extended Diploma is 2 years? I also thought it was two years but saw that recently.

I’ve just read the info on the website and it’s not very clear like mine was. It might be worth contacting the college and asking for information on this to clarify what to do and what it means.
The 90 credit diploma was the old spec and therefore shouldn't be being offered anywhere but it could be tge college hasn't updated the spec pages. The extended diploma is normally delivered in stages over the two years so that learners still get a qualification if they drop out after first year. What college is it and I can look at their website
Reply 8
I posted the link before, just scroll a little bit up. When we went for the open evening the women said something pretty similar to what you did, and that after a year you’d get 1.5 A Levels so even if you dropped out you’d still get something out of it. Does that apply to the 90 credit or Extended Diploma?
Original post by LewisTh
I posted the link before, just scroll a little bit up. When we went for the open evening the women said something pretty similar to what you did, and that after a year you’d get 1.5 A Levels so even if you dropped out you’d still get something out of it. Does that apply to the 90 credit or Extended Diploma?

Their website is certainly confusing. The 90 credit diploma is equivalent to 1.5 A levels and the Extended Diploma is 3 A levels. The 90 credit diploma has been replaced but their website does say they take 2 years to deliver the Extended Diploma part, which is very unusual. For comparison the City of Liverpool college does the Extended Diploma in the normal 2 years. Have a look at other colleges and 6th forms that you can easily travel to and do it in 2 years https://www.liv-coll.ac.uk/courses/applied-science-btec-level-3-extended-diploma/
Original post by LewisTh

Like the other person has stated, I would look in to other colleges and sixth forms that offer the same or similar courses. As I’m sure there are others that do the updated spec as was previously stated.

I do think it applies to the Extended Diploma. I’m unsure of the 90 credit one but it does sound like that would also be 1.5 A Levels.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest