The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Oxford or Imperial for Geology

Hi, I’ve received offers from imperial and Oxford for geology / earth sciences (thankfully), and I can’t seem to make up my mind. On one hand I am advised that oxfords name alone will help a lot in my career, whereas imperial is probably better for going into industry and Oxford is more for research/ academia. I’m not too pressed about the ‘Oxford experience as such’, but which of the two are genuinely better for a career in geology related fields.
Original post by TSid89
Hi, I’ve received offers from imperial and Oxford for geology / earth sciences (thankfully), and I can’t seem to make up my mind. On one hand I am advised that oxfords name alone will help a lot in my career, whereas imperial is probably better for going into industry and Oxford is more for research/ academia. I’m not too pressed about the ‘Oxford experience as such’, but which of the two are genuinely better for a career in geology related fields.

Where else have you applied?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Where would you prefer living? Oxford or London?
Can you afford the costs of going to Imperial? If not its a moot point.

Congratulations on the offers! Both sound amazing.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Where else have you applied?

Leeds, Manchester, Durham
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Where would you prefer living? Oxford or London?

Personally London, due to greater diversity etc plus I’m used to living in a city and I don’t think Oxford has the same attractions as a typical city.
@Plagioclase - any thoughts?
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
Can you afford the costs of going to Imperial? If not its a moot point.

Congratulations on the offers! Both sound amazing.

Thanks!
I’ll be able to cover the cost hopefully as I’ve found shared and pretty cheap accom which rounds to about £3k only for the academic year so I think it won’t be too much of an issue.
Say if the cost isn’t an issue, would imperial be a better choice?
Original post by TSid89
Thanks!
I’ll be able to cover the cost hopefully as I’ve found shared and pretty cheap accom which rounds to about £3k only for the academic year so I think it won’t be too much of an issue.

Not a field I know a lot about I'm afraid so hopefully someone in that area can advise. I had a couple of friends who took Geology at Oxford, loved it and do amazing sounding things now (one went to the South Pole on a field trip) but that was a long time ago.
Original post by TSid89
Thanks!

£3k in London??? A cardboard box on the Thames embankment??? 😆
Original post by TSid89

Oxford's course is excellent, and is definitely designed with academia in mind. I don't have first-hand experience with Imperial's course, but I've only heard good things about their Earth Sciences department. I agree with @ageshallnot that the very different setting (Oxford vs London) is a major factor you should consider here.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TSid89

One factor to consider is whether you want a career in geology/resource industry. The Earth Sciences course at Oxford is very broad, a point they make on their website. There are only a couple of lectures on economic minerals and the resource industry in the third year, and only if you take that option. This is unlikely to impress a mining company and in recent years Oxford graduates who want to follow that career path have taken a follow up Masters course at the Camborne School of Mines (Exeter Uni). The Imperial course has a more applied focus and often leads directly to jobs in the mining industry. From a practical consideration, Oxford has been closing its chemistry labs and selling off its mass spectrometers in recent years.
If you are considering a career in pure research and academia then Oxford may be the better option.

Quick Reply