What does grade requirement say about course/uni Watch

This discussion is closed.
ponjavic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I'm wondering if offers say anything about a course.

Does it mean anything if one course at a uni has BBB while another at another uni has AAA?
It must atleast say something about the quality of the students attending the course which also should reflect the general quality of graduates.

I don't really know how to phrase my question but I suspect you understand what I'm going at. What do offers say about the course and the uni?
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ponjavic)

Does it mean anything if one course at a uni has BBB while another at another uni has AAA?
It must atleast say something about the quality of the students attending the course which also should reflect the general quality of graduates.

I don't really know how to phrase my question but I suspect you understand what I'm going at. What do offers say about the course and the uni?
How popular it as. As simple as that. For example, exeter wants AAA for English, whereas 'better' unis ask for lower. But because Exeter is so popular, it can afford to ask for the highest grades. You'll also find that undersubscribed courses such as languages often have lower grade requirements
rmyl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
How popular it as. As simple as that. For example, exeter wants AAA for English, whereas 'better' unis ask for lower. But because Exeter is so popular, it can afford to ask for the highest grades. You'll also find that undersubscribed courses such as languages often have lower grade requirements
surely, that in turn means they can attract better lecturers and the department improves?
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by razormylight)
surely, that in turn means they can attract better lecturers and the department improves?
you would think so. Maybe you're right, i dont know
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
you would think so. Maybe you're right, i dont know
likewise, universities or colleges are normally popular for a reason? & that reason may have something to do with academics, although no doubt other location/accomodation/atmopshere etc. considerations will come into it too.. (my like of gargoyles influenced my choice! :p: )
ponjavic
Rep:
?
Would it determine intellectual stimulance too, as in from other students, this affects you more or less if you're independent or not but still...
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As otherts said its just about popularity, take Bolton and MMU for example both started out with very similar backgrounds, however MMU is now the better institution because its more popular.

It dosn't mean there is any differences in the standards of work.

UMIST for example were making many CCC offers before the merger with Manchester, despite UMIST being an excellent university to study science subjects in the UK it wasn't that well kown. Manchester on the other hand is extremely well known.
SophistiCat
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
likewise, universities or colleges are normally popular for a reason? & that reason may have something to do with academics, although no doubt other location/accomodation/atmopshere etc. considerations will come into it too.. (my like of gargoyles influenced my choice! :p: )
Gargoyles are ace!
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ponjavic)

The general rule is that the higher the grade requirements, the better the uni - especially if the difference is by at least two grades (i.e AAA and ABB).

However, also be aware that uni's can change their grade requirements with ulterior motives. For example, if a uni knows that all the other uni's with similar prestige are asking for the same grade requirements, then it may just up their offers by a grade to create the impression that they are slightly more prestigious than their competitors. You can often tell if a uni is doing this by the number of people who are let in with lower grades than were asked for.

So just bear in mind, the prestige of a department is long term and rarely fluctuates, whereas grade requirements change from year to year. Different requirements by the single grade rarely represent a difference in prestige. There are many, many other factors to take into consideration.
ponjavic
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingslaw)
The general rule is that the higher the grade requirements, the better the uni - especially if the difference is by at least two grades (i.e AAA and ABB).

However, also be aware that uni's can change their grade requirements with ulterior motives. For example, if a uni knows that all the other uni's with similar prestige are asking for the same grade requirements, then it may just up their offers by a grade to create the impression that they are slightly more prestigious than their competitors. You can often tell if a uni is doing this by the number of people who are let in with lower grades than were asked for.

So just bear in mind, the prestige of a department is long term and rarely fluctuates, whereas grade requirements change from year to year. Different requirements by the single grade rarely represent a difference in prestige. There are many, many other factors to take into consideration.
Yeah but if typical offers range from BBB-BCC for example, I have a hard time believing the quality is the same as an AAB-BBB uni. Even though I still don't understand a BBB offer from a heavily subscribed uni. Most good students should be able to get an A in their chosen A-level so why accept someone with BBB for maybe engineering? (unless they want to be nice to the applicant)
rmyl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'm currently applying to do architecture and places like UCL want BBB, where as newcastle are looking for AAB. In the world of work, UCL is supposed to give you a better degree (supposedly), so newcastle asking for AAB puts me off somewhat.

UCL's reason for a lower grade expectation they say is due to the fact that grades are not all they're looking for. they want people to have a certain level of academic ability, but artistic evidence and other things play a part. I don't think that means its a worse course though, does it?
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by razormylight)
i'm currently applying to do architecture and places like UCL want BBB, where as newcastle are looking for AAB. In the world of work, UCL is supposed to give you a better degree (supposedly), so newcastle asking for AAB puts me off somewhat.

UCL's reason for a lower grade expectation they say is due to the fact that grades are not all they're looking for. they want people to have a certain level of academic ability, but artistic evidence and other things play a part. I don't think that means its a worse course though, does it?
Precisely, theres a lot more to the worth of a degree than the grades required to get into it. For example, when deciding where to go, if I'd gone off grade requirements alone, I could have ended up at Leeds doing Law instead of Kings, which would've been silly to many people.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads