The Student Room Group

Uni of Durham v Uni of Bath v Bristol. Which is better for MSc Management?

I'm an international student, and I have received offers from both universities. Still, I am thoroughly confused about which one to choose as they have similar rankings and course structures since I am not from the UK & can not visit campuses, I would really appreciate it if yall could help me with this. Does being a Russell Group University matter a lot?
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,
I do feel for you as there are lots of things to consider when thinking about where to do a degree - particularly if you are not from the UK and aren't sure of what the cities are like!
If rankings are similar, and you are okay with both courses structures, then maybe consider some other things.
For example, you mention the Russell Group. Bath is not Russell Group, while Bristol is. The Russell Group basically means that these universities get a lot of money to carry out research and therefore the lecturers/teachers are usually carrying out their own research while engaging with students. This means that you will often be getting knowledge that is very up to date, relevant and from leading experts - however, this doesn't mean that non-Russell Group universities are in anyway bad or worse! Though the Russell Group get a lot of money and are considered quite prestigious, there are only 24 in the UK, meaning A LOT of people go to non-Russell Group universities and get an equal degree etc!
You might want to consider visiting the cities if possible, but I can try to give a bit of a run through of them too. The two cities are really close together but Bristol has a population 4 times as big as Bath. So depending on what sort of environment you'd prefer this is something to consider! I'd also suggest that Bristol probably has better transport links due to being larger.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
Reply 2
Hi,

Firstly, thank you so much for replying, I wasn't expecting such a quick response. What you've said makes complete sense. You have helped me to look at the situation beyond the binary, I will try to look into the students' livings and lifestyles a bit more. Maybe some testimonials too.

PS- if it helps i lived in Leicester for a year so if you could tell me either of the cities have a similar vibe/ culture? Thank you so much again.
Bath is highly regarded for business / management and is ranked much higher than Bristol in all of the relevant league tables. The links with industry are very impressive and therefore they have students on placement at top companies.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/business-and-management-studies

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2022/sep/24/the-guardian-university-guide-2023-the-rankings
Reply 4
Original post by nish0405
I'm an international student, and I have received offers from both universities. Still, I am thoroughly confused about which one to choose as they have similar rankings and course structures since I am not from the UK & can not visit campuses, I would really appreciate it if yall could help me with this. Does being a Russell Group University matter a lot?

"Bath", wins hands down. They have an stellar reputation for their business courses and have amazing links with industry. They also just opened a new state of the art School of Management last September. Their careers service is commended. I know you're an international so the industry link aspect might not appeal to you, but seriously out of the two Bath beats Bristol hands for Msc in Management. As for Russell Group, Although bath isn't in the RG that's not because it not on par with them, infact Bath beats many of the RG universities in the league tables. Bath is a very prestigious university in the Uk.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hello,

Huge congratulations for receiving multiple different offers for university and we hope that wherever you end up going you will throroughly enjoy!

Here at the University of Bath we are extremely proud of our Managment course, ranking top 5 for Business and Management studies in the Complete University Guide 2023. We have also just opened a new School of Management building on campus for all students to enjoy the state-of-the-art facilities. To find out more about the rankings of our Management course, please look at this helpful link: https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/school-of-management-rankings-and-accreditations/

In terms of university life at Bath, here are a few key factors that make Bath the university that it is today:

- Strong sense of community: here at Bath you are always bumping into people you know and making friends constantly. There is a society or club for everyone with many different social opportunites from walking, having cocktails, crocheting together, going clubbing, baking cakes together etc.

- Safety: The University of Bath campus is one of the safest campus' in the UK and therefore you always feel safe walking around campus and the city at night. We have 24/7 security that work incredibly on campus as well as in the city, making sure that everyone is enjoying their university experience.

- Social opportunities for everyone: due to the high number of clubs and societies means that there is a group out there for everyone. Unlike other universities, the social life here is a bit more relaxed but by no means boring. There are lots of clubs, bars and pubs to go to, including on campus, but if that doesn't take your fancy there are loads of opportunities to meet people in sober environments and still have lots of fun!

- The city: Bath city is a UNESCO world heritage city meaning that the city is a wonderful place to walk around in. We also have the Roman Baths, which are free for students to access as well as the beautiful Skyline Walk which is a must when you come to visit!

I hope that has given you a good overview of what its like to study at the University and do let us know if you have any more questions, as we'd be happy to answer!

Sophia (2nd Year Modern Languages)
Reply 6
Hey everyone, thank you so much for replying. I wanted to know about Durham university now, between Bath v Durham what would be ideal?
(edited 1 year ago)
Durham will be better
Hey everyone, thank you so much for replying. I wanted to know about Durham university now, between Bath v Durham what would be ideal?
Actually Bath ranks higher than Durham (by about 10 places) in all the UK rankings. Bath is very well regarded for Business (top 5). Durham, in general, is more prestigious than Bath, it has historically been a kind of Oxbridge runner up, but it doesn't have the same reputation for Business and Management. The information is available on the 'net if you do your searches.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending