The Student Room Group

A level choices: stuck between Maths, FM, Physics, English lit and French

Hi, I’m a year 11 student currently deciding her A levels, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on an A level combinations

I have 3 main uni degrees in mind; Law with Law studies in Europe, Physics and actuarial science and am choosing between English lit, French, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. English lit as an essay based subject would be ideal for Law, and French is essential if I want to do a year abroad studying Law studies, whereas if I want to go down the physics route, top universities will be expecting me to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I’m still not sure about which path is right for me, and I’m doubting if I actually want to go into physics at all. I’m really interested in learning physics concepts and subjects such as astrophysics and space really interest me, however I’m not sure about what I would do with my degree, as I don’t want to be an engineer or work in research.

I can’t seem to find a combination that keeps all my options open and I’m hoping someone can give me a fresh perspective on what A levels they think would be ideal. Any response would be much appreciated!!
(edited 1 year ago)
I'd drop further maths and keep French, Eng, Maths and Physics if I were you and then drop one in 2nd year if you realise you no longer want to go in to one of the options/you decide you hate maths
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by GeT_iN_SHinJI
I'd drop further maths and keep French, Eng, Maths and Physics if I were you and then drop one in 2nd year if you realise you no longer want to go in to one of the options/you decide you hate maths

That was actually my initial option, but I had a meeting with a few teachers at my school who told me the top unis that I want to go to will require me to do further maths if I want to study physics, especially coming from my current school which is very academic…
do you think it would be stupid to take all 5 A levels?
Original post by bella_bjk
That was actually my initial option, but I had a meeting with a few teachers at my school who told me the top unis that I want to go to will require me to do further maths if I want to study physics, especially coming from my current school which is very academic…
do you think it would be stupid to take all 5 A levels?

I'm pretty sure you can only take 4 a-levels max, and even if you were able to take 5 I'd recommend not to cause 3 is a pain as is, let alone 5. A lot of people take 4 when they're not sure where they want to go, and usually drop 1 of the 4 at the end of 1st year/take it as an AS-Level. When I checked Oxford Uni for Physics, it doesn't mention needing Further Maths for the course, just that it would be helpful. You did also mention that you're not very sure you want to take the Physics route. What are your grades looking like right now in terms of Maths, Physics and English cause that could help you decide
Reply 4
That’s true. I’ve just got my mock results back with 9s in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English so in terms of ability I’m pretty well rounded in all of the subjects, although I’m not the best at public speaking and I’m not really sure if that will impact my potential law career, or if it’s just a skill I’ll be able to pick up later on.
Thank you so much for your help by the way
Hi, I’m a year 11 student currently deciding her A levels, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on an A level combinations

I have 3 main uni degrees in mind; Law with Law studies in Europe, Physics and actuarial science and am choosing between English lit, French, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. English lit as an essay based subject would be ideal for Law, and French is essential if I want to do a year abroad studying Law studies, whereas if I want to go down the physics route, top universities will be expecting me to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I’m still not sure about which path is right for me, and I’m doubting if I actually want to go into physics at all. I’m really interested in learning physics concepts and subjects such as astrophysics and space really interest me, however I’m not sure about what I would do with my degree, as I don’t want to be an engineer or work in research.

I can’t seem to find a combination that keeps all my options open and I’m hoping someone can give me a fresh perspective on what A levels they think would be ideal. Any response would be much appreciated!!

Heya!
I would recommend researching entry requirements and noting what you must have and what are optional subjects. You can use unicompare as a start :h: For law in the UK you don't need specific subjects. For Physics you would indeed need physics, maths and FM. Perhaps physics, maths, English lit and Fm could be good options. Remember, unis require 3 levels, only take 4 if 4th is FM.
Is French a must for your application? Do some research on it and look at if it's a must. You could do French privately not as an a-level, would that be possible? Could uni offer you a language course in 1st year? Lots of my friends at UCL picked language modules even if they haven't done them before.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 6
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would recommend researching entry requirements and noting what you must have and what are optional subjects. You can use unicompare as a start :h: For law in the UK you don't need specific subjects. For Physics you would indeed need physics, maths and FM. Perhaps physics, maths, English lit and Fm could be good options. Remember, unis require 3 levels, only take 4 if 4th is FM.
Is French a must for your application? Do some research on it and look at if it's a must. You could do French privately not as an a-level, would that be possible? Could uni offer you a language course in 1st year? Lots of my friends at UCL picked language modules even if they haven't done them before.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Unfortunately, the Law with Law studies in Europe course at Oxford requires a modern foreign language A Level, so to do that specific course I would have to take French. I also love the language and am really keen on taking it.
Do you think I could still get a place studying Law at Oxford or Cambridge if I didn’t do an essay based subject, and did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French?
Unfortunately, the Law with Law studies in Europe course at Oxford requires a modern foreign language A Level, so to do that specific course I would have to take French. I also love the language and am really keen on taking it.
Do you think I could still get a place studying Law at Oxford or Cambridge if I didn’t do an essay based subject, and did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French?

Heya!
I see, I wasn't sure if you needed French so thanks for letting me know as well! :h: Law doesn't have specific entry requirements generally so even if you don't have an essay subject I believe you should be fine. On the website, it states 'An essay subject can be helpful when completing this course but is not required for admission.'
Law at Oxford and Cambridge is very competitive generally and it's not only up to good grades in a-levels, you will also need to do well in your LNAT and interview (which can be very challenging). I would recommend checking out this Oxbridge guide with useful tips about applying to Oxford and Cambridge :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest