The Student Room Group

Postgrad study

So I'm coming to the end of my undergraduate and want to apply for a postgraduate course ... is there a deadline to apply for SFE funding or for the uni courses? is there any questions I should ask to prospective unis?
Original post by ElvisTheLemon
So I'm coming to the end of my undergraduate and want to apply for a postgraduate course ... is there a deadline to apply for SFE funding or for the uni courses? is there any questions I should ask to prospective unis?

Hey @ElvisTheLemon

Happy to hear that you are considering postgraduate studies.

The application for SFE is expected to open in March 2023. You can find more information about the process here.
Each university has different application deadlines. You should contact each university you are interested in for their application deadlines. I thought about the different questions I asked universities when I was applying. Here are some of the questions I asked:
1. Are there any placement opportunities?
2. What is the employment rate of students after graduating from the course?
3. What networking opportunities are available through the course?

I hope this helps. I wish you all the best as you finish up your undergrad studies. You got this! :gthumb:

- Dennis :biggrin: (PhD Air Transport Management student)
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey @ElvisTheLemon

Happy to hear that you are considering postgraduate studies.

The application for SFE is expected to open in March 2023. You can find more information about the process here.
Each university has different application deadlines. You should contact each university you are interested in for their application deadlines. I thought about the different questions I asked universities when I was applying. Here are some of the questions I asked:
1. Are there any placement opportunities?
2. What is the employment rate of students after graduating from the course?
3. What networking opportunities are available through the course?

I hope this helps. I wish you all the best as you finish up your undergrad studies. You got this! :gthumb:

- Dennis :biggrin: (PhD Air Transport Management student)

Thanks for the response ... are there generally any grants / bursaries available for living costs etc or part time work available to cover this e.g. teaching?
Original post by ElvisTheLemon
Thanks for the response ... are there generally any grants / bursaries available for living costs etc or part time work available to cover this e.g. teaching?

Hi there again @ElvisTheLemon! Great to see you are planning ahead and thinking about how to fund your studies and build on your C.V. too!

According to Student Finance England (if this applies to you) the current Master's loan offered for postgraduate study is £11,836. This is to cover tuition fees, additional costs, and any left over can help support you financially during your studies - that's what I did:smartass:

More info can also be found on funding options (charities to support, teacher training funding, societies etc.) on the Gov SFE website here: https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study

Part-Time work is definitely also one of the main ways I funded my Masters degree! DMU I know offer support and advertise part-time positions through our on-site employment agency (UniTemps) so students can access support and fixed term positions whilst they study. I would definitely recommend for looking for similar support systems at the institutions you are interested in studying at.

Also when I chose to study at postgraduate level I know a big factor for myself, personally, was any Alumni discounts offered by the institutions I was interested in - to help stretch the Masters loan further! :top2: Many Universities usually offer a discount on the tuition fees of postgraduate study if you have completed your undergraduate study, with them, or from another university nearby. In terms of DMU (as I know about this one the most!) we offer a 20% Alumni discount if you have completed undergraduate study with us, or our neighbours, the University of Leicester. I'm sure other Universities might have similar offerings and definitely research is key to look out for these options and also it's worth it to ask around!:tsr:

I hope this helps and fire away with any more queries and I'll try my best to help!

All the best,

-Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending