The Student Room Group

Do I drop Physics A level?

Recently after studying for a few months into year 12 I have realised that doing 4 a levels do have quite a toll on me. I am consistently doing work all the time, this doesn't bother me as much however it does seem slightly demotivating at times when comparing myself to the many people in my school who chose to study 3 a levels
(edited 2 months ago)
If you apply to Oxbridge and get accepted you experience a shorter term and an even bigger workload than you have now. Is physics worth dropping? Yes if it does not impact your career aspiration further down the road. You only need three A levels. Maybe a step, or to pass internal University entry exams. I would have a look at the course outlines of the respective universities you wish to apply.

You might be feeling demotivated with physics if you are not in the top third in your Physics class. A "B" for Physics is a very good grade, I recently got that grade for my English Language and Literature. I was not best pleased, because of my desire to have an A* at A-level. Alas A* don't grow on trees. However there are students who did no do so well in the first year who ended with the grade they wanted with the actual exam.

I am doing Physics and recently watched a video that drummed the importance of understanding, application and practice of papers and only using the syllabus, revision books, text books as reference. I did a post on here but did not spark anyone interest here it was A* A level Physics in 5 months. Whats not to like about such a title but alas no one was interested! I did notice something odd happening, when I had ago and it seemed to work. However it was not working for the Edexcel board I am following. Seemed to work on the Physics A-level Cambridge International papers, think they are more straightforward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uul5JyMi9oM

It sound like you don't want to work at Physics? Sounds like you would rather replace it with your extra curricular activities? Well that your prerogative. Why not discuss things with your parents or teacher/s.
Original post by distill32
Recently after studying for a few months into year 12 I have realised that doing 4 a levels do have quite a toll on me. I am consistently doing work all the time, this doesn't bother me as much however it does seem slightly demotivating at times when comparing myself to the many people in my school who chose to study 3 a levels. May I add that I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics. These topics in themselves are quite intermediate when it comes to difficulty from what I've experienced and been told. With the maths, Further maths and Computer Science I have seen myself coping well and understanding the work well. However when it comes to physics the work load is significantly higher than other subjects and to be honest the work is quite difficult. I am by no means bad at physics however my question is if it is useful to study 4 a levels when it comes to applications to such prestigious universities such as oxford? In addition I also took an EPQ which I will be doing on quantum computing in the stock market and self teaching myself German and Electric Guitar (Which I will be going forward to getting graded) My plan is to study either Finance or Computer science at Oxbridge, MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Toronto or Russel group University (Written in respect to preference ). My GCSE Grades may I add were 998888766 with the 9-7 grades being in stem subjects and the 6s being in English Lit and Lang. My grade for Computer Science was a 7 may add too. If I were to drop physics it should not matter to what I am eventually going to study as it has no relation into it and I only chose to study it as It was related to Maths. In addition my Predicted Grades are A* A* A* B (The B being in Physics) Therefore is it worth Dropping?

Check the entry requirements for the unis you are going to apply to (and some insurance choices). If physics is not required and your other subjects are acceptable, then it is fine to drop it.

Quick Reply

Latest