The Student Room Group

oxford vs cambridge

i'm going to be applying for mathematics, 2024 entry, i'm studying a levels in maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, my gcses weren't great because of covid and i had some really bad things going on health wise, i got A* 4A 5B C, which am i more likely to get into? and which would you recommend i apply to? i've not had a chance to visit cambridge yet(i hope to do so soon) but i have fell in love with how pretty oxford is and it would be a dream to go there,
i hope you're doing well in your A levels so far
I read somewhere that oxford tends to put a greater emphasis than Cambridge on gcses while Cambridge focuses more on A level results
Cambridge also has a slightly higher acceptance rate
and although I have also never been to Cambridge myself, I did apply there so did a lot of research and I think the colleges are also quite aesthetic, so...
Reply 2
Original post by sbwhoexists
i hope you're doing well in your A levels so far
I read somewhere that oxford tends to put a greater emphasis than Cambridge on gcses while Cambridge focuses more on A level results
Cambridge also has a slightly higher acceptance rate
and although I have also never been to Cambridge myself, I did apply there so did a lot of research and I think the colleges are also quite aesthetic, so...

Maybe true of other subjects but GCSEs are of marginal interest re Oxford maths.

OP if you search there are lots of threads on TSR comparing the two degrees.

Happy to try to answer specific questions.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by RichE
Maybe true of other subjects but GCSEs are of marginal interest re Oxford maths.

OP if you search there are lots of threads on TSR comparing the two degrees.

Happy to try too answer specific questions.

Hey! What do you study at Oxford :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by harlz_chalamet
Hey! What do you study at Oxford :smile:

I'm not a student. I teach maths at Oxford.
Original post by RichE
I'm not a student. I teach maths at Oxford.

Ohhh right thats amazing!!
one of my future options, as for uni, is to perhaps study chemistry at Oxford. That would be the dream haha
Original post by meowwwwe
i'm going to be applying for mathematics, 2024 entry, i'm studying a levels in maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, my gcses weren't great because of covid and i had some really bad things going on health wise, i got A* 4A 5B C, which am i more likely to get into? and which would you recommend i apply to? i've not had a chance to visit cambridge yet(i hope to do so soon) but i have fell in love with how pretty oxford is and it would be a dream to go there,

Hi, Cambridge offer holder here. I'd say how much they look at gcses depends on the college/course/admissions tutor which makes it hard to predict, though I think it is generally understood that Oxford overall looks at them more than Cambridge (though I'm by no means an expert!)
You'll likely apply with predicted A-Level grades, so gcses are used to see how you perform in exams. However by the sounds of it, you have extenuating circumstances you should tell them about. As for covid, not sure about Oxford, but Cambridge this year sent out a form to fill in about how Covid affected your education/school.

Don't give up on your dream because of your gcses! At the end of the day no one knows exactly what they look for, and how they use the information you provide. It was a dream of mine for a very long time to apply to Oxford, then looked around Cambridge and absolutely fell in love with the place/course. Lots of the architecture is similar, so you'll probably love Cambridge too! Never in a million years did I think I'd get an offer, so my advice is to at least try!

If you have any questions about applying to Oxbridge, I'm more than happy to answer them!
Reply 7
A suggestion here. If you would like to apply to Cambridge, do not choose Homerton.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending