The Student Room Group

A level History Coursework on the Origins of the Cold War

Hi, I'm struggling to find a source for my coursework. The source needs to be of chapter length or article length and it needs to be a work of a historian that says the cold war was caused by a security dilemma.

So far the sources I have found on the security dilemma are either written by political scientists like Robert Jervis or university professors (I need a historian's work), or they are dated to the end of the cold war when my work is focused on the origins.

I really need help, thanks so much
Original post by idkwhattowritee
Hi, I'm struggling to find a source for my coursework. The source needs to be of chapter length or article length and it needs to be a work of a historian that says the cold war was caused by a security dilemma.

So far the sources I have found on the security dilemma are either written by political scientists like Robert Jervis or university professors (I need a historian's work), or they are dated to the end of the cold war when my work is focused on the origins.

I really need help, thanks so much

Why can't you use a university professor if their subject is history?

Plus I doubt that the rules are so prescriptive as to rule out someone who is generally described as a political scientist rather than a historian. The aim is to incorporate the views of experts into your coursework.
Original post by ageshallnot
Why can't you use a university professor if their subject is history?

Plus I doubt that the rules are so prescriptive as to rule out someone who is generally described as a political scientist rather than a historian. The aim is to incorporate the views of experts into your coursework.

Thanks...I'll have to ask my teacher as she didn't tell us anything other than it has to be a historian
Original post by idkwhattowritee
Thanks...I'll have to ask my teacher as she didn't tell us anything other than it has to be a historian

What exam board are you using? A lot of people have multiple titles, so they may be a political scientist and a historian. Additionally, I find it strange that the teacher said your sources have to be from historians - OCR at least puts a lot of emphasis on primary sources as well as secondary, which obviously won't be from historians, and there is a lot to be gained from the analysis of political scientists and other secondary sources. I wonder if your teacher put that restriction in place to prevent people getting random sources from reddit and so on. In other words, she meant that you should use professional sources that have been peer reviewed and are by experts in the subject, not necessarily specifically historians. Maybe it differs by exam board. Or maybe my school was wrong and I have completely failed my coursework lol.

Quick Reply

Latest