The Student Room Group

A-level options? - help

I am choosing my A-level options and I’m thinking of History, English Lit and Geography.
I was wondering if anyone has done this combination, or can help me get an insight of what I’m getting myself into.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Hi, it all depends on what would you enjoy at highschool and what career path you have in mind!
Original post by User8810
I am choosing my A-level options and I’m thinking of History, English Lit and Geography.
I was wondering if anyone has done this combination, or can help me get an insight into what I’m getting myself into.

Good if you want to go into law, history or English at uni; but other than that you're quite restricted.

Don't forget, you’re also going to have to do two NEAs
Reply 3
Original post by lanky_giraffe
Good if you want to go into law, history or English at uni; but other than that you're quite restricted.

Don't forget, you’re also going to have to do two NEAs

I am hoping to study history at uni so that’s good to hear. Are handling multiple NEAs extremely difficult?
I do these subjects as well as Maths and Welsh Baccalaureate. Geography is quite similar to GCSE but is an extension, the subject I find isn't too difficult however the marking scheme is a lot pickier. History has a large workload and exam technique is a lot different than GCSE (at least with WJEC), its s subject that requires a lot of practise and revision as it is completely essay based. English isn't too hard either but there is a lot of work and extra reading especially with connecting quotes to context. The mark scheme for English is also more thorough in A level. All together they are a lot of work but that's what A levels are like, I would recommend that you check the subject requirements for your university choices at the moment but also look at alternative uni courses because it is quite common for people to change their mind by the time to apply for uni.
I was wondering if anyone has done this combination, or can help me get an insight of what I’m getting myself into.
Reply 5
Original post by CatandCat
I do these subjects as well as Maths and Welsh Baccalaureate. Geography is quite similar to GCSE but is an extension, the subject I find isn't too difficult however the marking scheme is a lot pickier. History has a large workload and exam technique is a lot different than GCSE (at least with WJEC), its s subject that requires a lot of practise and revision as it is completely essay based. English isn't too hard either but there is a lot of work and extra reading especially with connecting quotes to context. The mark scheme for English is also more thorough in A level. All together they are a lot of work but that's what A levels are like, I would recommend that you check the subject requirements for your university choices at the moment but also look at alternative uni courses because it is quite common for people to change their mind by the time to apply for uni.

Thanks for your reply! I am thinking of doing Maths as the 4th for one year, how do you find it at the moment compared to your other subjects? I am doing further maths GCSE so does that help a lot with the A-level?

Useful tool for trying different A levels combos:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
I am hoping to study history at uni so that’s good to hear. Are handling multiple NEAs extremely difficult?

I have finished my geography NEA; it was okay.

From what I have heard from people that have done two NEAs is that it wasn’t that bad because they are quite different, but it was hard to revise close to mocks for the other subjects that they were taking.

On a side note, Geography is my least favourite subject (I take bio, chem and geo), mostly because of the horrendous residential trip and the lessons can be quite repetitive and boring. But it's quite easy to get an A/A* if you have good technique and are interested in the subject. But the majority of people in my class underestimated the difficulty of the subject and have been getting Cs/Ds/Es.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by lanky_giraffe
I have finished my geography NEA; it was okay.

From what I have heard from people that have done two NEAs is that it wasn’t that bad because they are quite different, but it was hard to revise close to mocks for the other subjects that they were taking.

On a side note, Geography is my least favourite subject (I take bio, chem and geo), mostly because of the horrendous residential trip and the lessons can be quite repetitive and boring. But it's quite easy to get an A/A* if you have good technique and are interested in the subject. But the majority of people in my class underestimated the difficulty of the subject and have been getting Cs/Ds/Es.

Despite being most boring, was it the easiest for you compared to chem and bio? Also, were the majority of your class getting those grades because they weren’t revising for it?
Despite being most boring, was it the easiest for you compared to chem and bio? Also, were the majority of your class getting those grades because they weren’t revising for it?

My son enjoyed geography the most out of all three of his subjects (geog, maths & physics) so it really does depend on personal preference and interest in the subject. As with any subject, there will be students who achieve high grades and those who don't work as hard or don't enjoy the subject and achieve lower grades.

Yeah, they weren't revising.

I would say chemistry is the easiest, but yeah geography doesn't have that much content to memorise; it's more about just nailing the exam technique.

Heya!
One place that might help you is youtube, some people post their experiences with certain subjects so you could check out them! What are you thinking of doing at uni? :h: I would recommend exploring some courses and their entry requirements using unicompare as a start. Note down entry requirements for the courses that catch your attention and compare them to your selection to make sure they fit!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Thanks for your reply! I am thinking of doing Maths as the 4th for one year, how do you find it at the moment compared to your other subjects? I am doing further maths GCSE so does that help a lot with the A-level?

Maths I find is the hardest of them all and i found GCSE Maths quite easy so I would go into it with an open mind. It is the subject that needs the most attention at the moment for me and the workload is really high. I didn't do Further Maths GCSE but from the people who did do it, I know they found it to be beneficial with some of the topics but it's definitely not necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest