The Student Room Group

I have a terrible memory, and revision tips that could help?

I have a terrible memory, does anyone have any revision tips or just general advice which could improve my memory or a useful revision tip that could improve how much i remember for studying.

For context
My grades are 4's and 3's terrible and i forget like everything! Please Help!

Thanks, Jack.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Jack626476
I have a terrible memory, does anyone have any revision tips or just general advice which could improve my memory or a useful revision tip that could improve how much i remember for studying.

For context
My grades are 4's and 3's terrible and i forget like everything! Please Help!

Thanks, Jack.

Here are some tips for you:

1. Practice active recall: Active recall involves quizzing yourself and testing your knowledge in a way that forces you to retrieve information from your long-term memory. This can be done by creating practice tests, flashcards, or using other online tools like Quizlet to help you review and remember facts and concepts.

2. Try the "testing effect": The testing effect is a strategy that involves testing yourself on material you are trying to learn. It studies have shown that taking a practice test can help you remember more information than if you just studied the material.

3. Break up your studying: Instead of trying to learn everything at once, break up your studying into smaller chunks. Doing this will help you focus and make it easier to remember the information.

4. Use mnemonic devices: Mnemonic devices are memory tools that can help you remember large amounts of information. Examples include acronyms, rhymes, and stories.

5. Take breaks: Taking regular breaks while studying can help improve your focus and help you remember more.

6. Get organized: Staying organized will help you remember information more efficiently. Prioritize your tasks, use lists and calendars, and create a study plan.

7. Exercise: Exercise can help increase the oxygen flow to your brain, improve your memory, and help you concentrate better.

8. Eat healthy: Eating healthy foods can help you boost your memory and concentration levels.

9. Get enough sleep: Sleep helps your brain store and consolidate memories. Make sure to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night.

10. Connect new information to old information: Make connections between new information and what you already know. This will help you remember the new information more easily.
Reply 2
Original post by anton31
Here are some tips for you:

1. Practice active recall: Active recall involves quizzing yourself and testing your knowledge in a way that forces you to retrieve information from your long-term memory. This can be done by creating practice tests, flashcards, or using other online tools like Quizlet to help you review and remember facts and concepts.

2. Try the "testing effect": The testing effect is a strategy that involves testing yourself on material you are trying to learn. It studies have shown that taking a practice test can help you remember more information than if you just studied the material.

3. Break up your studying: Instead of trying to learn everything at once, break up your studying into smaller chunks. Doing this will help you focus and make it easier to remember the information.

4. Use mnemonic devices: Mnemonic devices are memory tools that can help you remember large amounts of information. Examples include acronyms, rhymes, and stories.

5. Take breaks: Taking regular breaks while studying can help improve your focus and help you remember more.

6. Get organized: Staying organized will help you remember information more efficiently. Prioritize your tasks, use lists and calendars, and create a study plan.

7. Exercise: Exercise can help increase the oxygen flow to your brain, improve your memory, and help you concentrate better.

8. Eat healthy: Eating healthy foods can help you boost your memory and concentration levels.

9. Get enough sleep: Sleep helps your brain store and consolidate memories. Make sure to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night.

10. Connect new information to old information: Make connections between new information and what you already know. This will help you remember the new information more easily.

Thanks very much for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply