This discussion is closed.
undercover-ange
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think one of the problems is that foods that look like they're going to be healthy are in reality crammed with fat and refined sugar so that they will taste nice and people will buy them, completely ignorant of the fact that they're actually not that good for them. Like cereals, cereal bars, dried fruit, fruit juices and other drinks, ready meals etc. Manufacturers don't care that their products aren't actually as healthy as the image they put across because they're making money because the bad things make it taste good. My father has recently been diagnosed with high cholesterol so the whole family is in support of his low fat diet (I'm sure it's good for us to cut down too) and we now check the amount of fat in things and have been very surprised how wrong we were in our assumptions of what was good and what wasn't. I think sugary and fatty food should be taxed...just like cigarettes...because those taxes can go towards treating people with disorders associated with overeating (some diabetes, heart problems, joint problems etc.) and also to give a fairer wage to the people in the countries where sugar is grown. x
rainjan_4now
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
just wanna elaborate upon my original post- the one about the metabolism affecting weight loss.

basically, i have this cousin that is a size 18+, and she is a perfect example of how some people might work harder than others, exercising more, and eating less, and still be unable to lose sufficient body fat/weight.

she eats so little, and is more active in one day than i am in 5! she works so hard at losing weight that i pity her sometimes. i could never say that she was fat due to laziness, eating too much, and not exercising- simply because it is not true. so i have decided to conclude that something internally is different to myself- because my weight fluctuates everyday, and i can lose/gain up to 5 pounds in a week.

so maybe, the case with my cousin is that her fat is broken down differently, and at different rates, to myself and others, and it's not fair when people make judgements without knowing the full story- and assume that she's fat because she's lazy, and eats tons of food per day!
RieLouise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
they should do more to help themselves.

If the government took action and started taxing marsbars, it'd be pretty harsh on people who do exercise self control.
Is it my imagination or do you feel particularly strongly about this issue?
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bratcat)
Is it my imagination or do you feel particularly strongly about this issue?
I remember you both from the last discussion not unsimilar to this... :p:
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
I remember you both from the last discussion not unsimilar to this... :p:
Hehe, another fellow traveller.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bratcat)
Hehe, another fellow traveller.
:confused:
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This thread title is just the way Marjorie Dawes would put it. :p:
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ak763)
I would guess the reason why people fail to understand is because in most cases (and I stress that; most, not all) the reasons why someone is overweight is because 1) they eat too much and 2) they don't excerise enough. Taking me for example, I'm fat for the reasons stated over. I'm not big boned, I don't have a slow metabolism or a compulsion to eat; me, like most overweight people, are fat because we put more in than we take out, simple.

It isn't the governments fault, they can't stop me eating a curry three nights a week or smoking 20 **** a day; and even if they tried, I wouldn't listen. Individuals have got to start taking responsibility for their own physical health; if you wanna eat, fine, but don't blame organisations when that cheese burger turns into flab!
Hooray! Someone with common sense - thank god. Yes, some people are big boned. Some people have a slow metabolism, and some people have one of many syndromes or conditions that make them unable to stop themselves stuffing their faces. But even then, in most cases they can lose the fat by exercising more and eating less. Everyone has an optimum weight - a big boned person might never have the figure of a Cheeky Girl - but everyone can get to a healthy level.

Stop complaining that gym facilities are too expensive - get yourself a home gym or some freeweights and go for a jog. Start walking to work instead of driving there - you will soon notice a difference. And yes, there are often psycholgical elements to why people comfort-eat, but there are psychological elements to whatever you do. Losing weight and getting healthy will only make you feel better in the long term, but if it's really bad then have counselling and deal with your issues.

People have to take responsibility for themselves. Just because there's a McDonald's down the road doesn't mean you have to step through the doors. No one holds a gun to your head and forces a pie down your throat.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by VixenIW)
The government shouldnt do anything to help them.
I'm sure medics will read this but what if it is actually out of their control? There is one medical condition (forgotten the name of) where a trigger to the brain we usually have to say that we're full, doesn't work for them.

Should we fail to help other people properly in need of other medical complaints?

I am talking on the medical side to things of people who have not self-inflicted their size here.
rainjan_4now
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I'm sure medics will read this but what if it is actually out of their control? There is one medical condition (forgotten the name of) where a trigger to the brain we usually have to say that we're full, doesn't work for them.

Should we fail to help other people properly in need of other medical complaints?

I am talking on the medical side to things of people who have not self-inflicted their size here.
I'm with you.

I do honestly sympathise with these people, because many people point the finger without knowing the full story. I mean, given the chance im sure most of the obese would give up eating loads and would exercise more- like smokers and their cigarettes.

but you have to have the will power and determination that most of these people dont possess because the have low self-esteem. seriously, what would most 'normal' peoples initial reaction be if they were to see a 30+ stone person jogging towards them on the pavement- initially you'd be shocked, but should then feel admiration for them soon after. however, some members of society would laugh, and point, and whatever- the main obstacle most obese people have with exercise.

i want to be more supportive of them, and listen to their stories- not just make blind accusations, and hopefully help anybody around me to lose weight if they desire.
MC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lol:
Attached files
habosh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mad Caddie)
Lol:
hehehe Mr,
naah I dont believe he does:p:
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)

It sounds like you're thinking about the condition that was highlighted on 'Not My Fault I'm Fat' last week. It's called Prader-Willi syndrome (sp?) and it affects the part of the brain that controls appetite, making affected people believe that they are starving even if they've recently eaten.

This must be an awful condition to have, and must really take over a person's life. Although the only things I know about its sufferers are taken straight from a TV documentary, it's worth thinking about this: there were three people featured, and two of them had lost a lot of weight by the end of it. This proves that, with determintion, they can become healthier. The other person was still putting on weight by the end of the programme, and had started out at over 30st. He knew that he was slowly killing himself, but still wouldn't even eat healthy food, let alone cutting down on the quantity.

People blame society because it's something they can't change. If they started blaming themselves, they would realise that they have to do something about it.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
Start walking to work instead of driving there - you will soon notice a difference.
certainly would notice a difference - it's 35 miles each way :p:
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
Perhaps. But then its cruel to be kind.
damn. why can't I rep you?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TakemetoAvalon)
damn. why can't I rep you?
Because she's exceeded the 15 point warning level and has been banned temporarily
TakemetoAvalon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Because she's exceeded the 15 point warning level and has been banned temporarily
Oh. Good. Thanks.
Amy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
when will she be permenantly banned?
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
It sounds like you're thinking about the condition that was highlighted on 'Not My Fault I'm Fat' last week. It's called Prader-Willi syndrome (sp?) and it affects the part of the brain that controls appetite, making affected people believe that they are starving even if they've recently eaten.
That's the one. I'm sure there are varying degrees of this condition too. As long as you do the best you can for yourself then I don't think people can blame they way you are considering it is out of your control.

The amount of people who do point the finger at these people, yet are smokers who I see have to spit on the floor. If you have to spit when you smoke, don't do it.
dazmanultra
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
What can the government do to help them?
Can't. They're beyond redemption.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads