The Student Room Group

Do I need to do AS level exams before Alevel exams?

I am about to start to do A-levels at home. I am confused regarding what exams I should take and what specifications I should follow. Do I first need to study all AS level context and sit the exams and then follow the process with A-level context and exams? I am not sure how to get into this. I'll be studying maths, biology and psychology.
Original post by Dziubu
I am about to start to do A-levels at home. I am confused regarding what exams I should take and what specifications I should follow. Do I first need to study all AS level context and sit the exams and then follow the process with A-level context and exams? I am not sure how to get into this. I'll be studying maths, biology and psychology.

I'm at a sixth form, for bio we studied ONLY AS in year 1, then A2 in year 2. but for all my others we just did it all A2 throughout the 2 years.
Reply 2
Original post by .765346777543
I'm at a sixth form, for bio we studied ONLY AS in year 1, then A2 in year 2. but for all my others we just did it all A2 throughout the 2 years.

I know how it works at school, but the thing is I study the course at home, and so I wondered if I can sit all the exams at the same time, but I'm not sure if it's possible and how, in this case, follow the specifications. I looked at the aqa page but I couldn't really find an answer to this question as everything is divided into two years and I just cannot understand it all...
Original post by Dziubu
I know how it works at school, but the thing is I study the course at home, and so I wondered if I can sit all the exams at the same time, but I'm not sure if it's possible and how, in this case, follow the specifications. I looked at the aqa page but I couldn't really find an answer to this question as everything is divided into two years and I just cannot understand it all...

The current A levels in England are different from International A levels.

Following the most recent updates, A levels taught is English schools are all examined by a single set of exams taken at the end of the 2 year course. They may also include practical assessments or other components usually assessed/marked within the school. AS exams still exist and typically test the content taught in the first year of an A level. You have to learn all of this content but the AS exams are unnecessary for you, they are an optional qualification. The first year content will be tested in your end of course A level exams. If you wanted to, you could take them as a formal way to assess your progress but the results would not contribute to your final A level grade.

International A levels from Pearson Edexcel are modular and very similar to the previous generation of A levels in English schools. For these qualifications you would take both the AS and A2 exams. I mention them because you would have the option of taking Edexcel IAL in science subjects to avoid the difficulty and expense of the practical endorsement. They are available through a limited number of exam centres such as https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest