This discussion is closed.
enigmatic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by historyhoney)
History but as you have seen my GCSE results were as good, funnily enough though there isn't enough room to write all my subjects down (there are only 12 spaces I did 13!)
If you manage to get good references and write a good personal statement, and maybe include that your school is not an extremely good state school, as it might increase your chances.

What subjects did you do at GCSE?
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by enigmatic)
If you manage to get good references and write a good personal statement, and maybe include that your school is not an extremely good state school, as it might increase your chances.

What subjects did you do at GCSE?
thkankls, I did

English lit A
English lan A
Maths A
Statistics B
Biology B
Chemistry C
Phyiscs C
French C
Food tech A
History A
Music A *
R.e A
ICT A
Font
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got 4A*'s 5A's and a B for my GCSE's and the *******s at my school said "i wasn't good enough" to attend the summer school! The idiots!

oh well, their loss, hehe; i should sit my exams out of school so they bloodly dont get any rep from me - they done nothing for me, so i should return the favour!

I hate teachers that stratify by GCSE results! its pointless. I mean, if you don't enjoy a subjevt you're hardly gonna get an A* in it cos you will be unlikely to work as hard for them! A-levels are better in that you are more likely to do well in something you like, oposed to something you have to do for the shear sake of it at GCSE level

bloody senior 6th form management teachers :mad:

Anyone reckon the education system should be changed so that GCSE Englsih is not compulsory?

phil
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Phil23)
I got 4A*'s 5A's and a B for my GCSE's and the *******s at my school said "i wasn't good enough" to attend the summer school! The idiots!

oh well, their loss, hehe; i should sit my exams out of school so they bloodly dont get any rep from me - they done nothing for me, so i should return the favour!

I hate teachers that stratify by GCSE results! its pointless. I mean, if you don't enjoy a subjevt you're hardly gonna get an A* in it cos you will be unlikely to work as hard for them! A-levels are better in that you are more likely to do well in something you like, oposed to something you have to do for the shear sake of it at GCSE level

bloody senior 6th form management teachers :mad:

Anyone reckon the education system should be changed so that GCSE Englsih is not compulsory?

phil
That's completely stupid.

I know a few people from my school who applied for a residential law conference thing at Cambridge. Eventually they gave the two places to those with the best GCSEs.

This was regardless of the fact that, had the senior teachers spent more that five minutes choosing applicants, they would have realised that some people were really passionate about law and really wanted to go whereas others, including one with excellent GCSE results, wasn't actually that fussed and has actually since decided that she doesn't want to apply for a law degree! But she's still going on the course.

It's laziness more than anything,
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would say go for it.

You'll get so much out of the experience, and you will get to meet people with similar interests to yourself, which i presume you don't really get at the school you're presently at, given ur previous postss
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I think that this is the reason GCSEs are seen as being so important.

You should be aware that unis are take an even harder line towards GCSEs

But that yours ARE good enough!
Font
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
You should be aware that unis are take an even harder line towards GCSEs
No they don't; they look far more at AS results, and A-level predictions. GCSE's are minor to them; they just look at them to see whether you did good int eh subject you applied for. I mean, would they really give a damn if i got a D in French, if i've applied to read maths? I should think not, lol.

but i suppose the top unis may look at GCSE's as a final stratifier, cos most people to oxbridge, and Imperial, say, have excellent predictions, but even here, A-levels have a greater weighting.

Phil
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No they don't; they look far more at AS results, and A-level predictions. GCSE's are minor to them; they just look at them to see whether you did good int eh subject you applied for. I mean, would they really give a damn if i got a D in French, if i've applied to read maths? I should think not, lol.

but i suppose the top unis may look at GCSE's as a final stratifier, cos most people to oxbridge, and Imperial, say, have excellent predictions, but even here, A-levels have a greater weighting.

Phil

Yes, but with so many people getting AAA [over 16% of UCAS forms carry this prediction or achieved triplet], GCSEs are being used, especially in competitive subjects such as Law.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Sent it off I sucked up (no jokes please) to the teacher big time so I should get a good reference
enigmatic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Got confirmation of a place on it today but I havent read the form much
Livla
Report 14 years ago
Heya new girl here, I'm just trying to find out more about this Eton thing because I got offered a place on it for the English course, can anyone who's done it before tell me if it's really difficult? I'm looking forward to it, but the phrase 'three written essays' has just sunk in and I'd like to know how intensive it is...plus is anyone else going? Thanks!
Mickey Mouse
Report 14 years ago
Me and my friend both got accepted for the maths and physics course. Ill look out for you guys
Fiona87
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh my goodness, Livya, I am SO excited for you. CONGRATULATIONS on getting a place on the English course. Make sure you work hard through your AS Levels, but just so you know, if you love your subject, you're going to have the most amazing time at Eton this summer. I went on the English Eton Summer School course in 2004 - I'll PM you to talk more. And Mickey Mouse - my friend did Physics. They do THE best experiments. Facilities just don't compare!
zhivago
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How come you did so many? Everyone on the TSR seems to have taken way more than me! Well, I'm taking 10 at the moment - and that includes English Literature as well as English Language. Did you take some outside of school, or did your school offer the full 13?
chicabella
Report 14 years ago
HI fiona!.. and hum oh .. sorry guys am bit late to offer advice. I was at the eton sumerschool 2004 doing history and it was awesome. I really loved it, so congrats to ppl who got place. Say hi to andrew robinson- very funky history guy... eccentric.to say the least.
Summerschool was just like.. FANtastic, loads of people who were all different but into same subjects and had some great discussions and stuff. LIke.. A meeting of minds if youre apprehensive or just want to know what its like feel free to mail me.
Fiona87
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by chicabella)
HI fiona!.. and hum oh .. sorry guys am bit late to offer advice. I was at the eton sumerschool 2004 doing history and it was awesome. I really loved it, so congrats to ppl who got place. Say hi to andrew robinson- very funky history guy... eccentric.to say the least.
Summerschool was just like.. FANtastic, loads of people who were all different but into same subjects and had some great discussions and stuff. LIke.. A meeting of minds if youre apprehensive or just want to know what its like feel free to mail me.
Heya Jessica!

Hehe - was Andrew Robinson the one who gave a talk on all the places he'd visited beginning with "I" then said "Here's a tile...Like it." I have never laughed so much!
chicabella
Report 14 years ago
hay Fi.. gaah.. i actually dont remember that joke.. but the talk about his travels was fantastic.. i loved the philosophy of science guy.. only wish cld rememebr what he said!!

Andrew robinson is a lEGEnd!
the one joke i do remember was about a guy charged with burglary,, but a small spelling error resulted in a much worse punishment... or just a v tarnished reputation . Sigh.. wish i cld go to eton this year
Fiona87
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by chicabella)
hay Fi.. gaah.. i actually dont remember that joke.. but the talk about his travels was fantastic.. i loved the philosophy of science guy.. only wish cld rememebr what he said!!

Andrew robinson is a lEGEnd!
the one joke i do remember was about a guy charged with burglary,, but a small spelling error resulted in a much worse punishment... or just a v tarnished reputation . Sigh.. wish i cld go to eton this year
Hahaha!! Oh unfortunate...When was that? Gaah...wish I had written down what he said. Can't remember anything now, other than laughing. Remember when he gave the introductory talk? I was so nervous beforehand and everyone seemed to be so posh. I was in front row and felt conspicuous. Then he started and it was all good :-) Did you have him as a tutor for History? What was the other History guy's name? He was cool too.

Jessica - let's go gatecrash ;-)
Xanthe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Phil23- Are you going to uni this year then, did you apply to Oxbridge, or did your teachers discourage you from applying?
phillipsm
Badges:
Report 14 years ago

Phil
It was my understanding that most Oxbirdge colleges placed very little emphasis on AS results.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads