The Student Room Group

Geography essay help

So my essay question is :
Evaluate different ways to measure levels of development between countries (20)

Ways to measure -> GDP/GDP per capita, HDI, HPI

I’m not quite sure how to structure this? Do I put my point and talk about the strength and weakness of each measure?

I have already written first two paragraphs but it doesn’t sound ideal in the sense of where to put case study?

Thanks in advance,
Hi there,
The way that i used to do geography questions was like:

-Intro (Summaries your main argument and defines keywords/terms in the question (i suppose you don't need to in this question but you can state all the ways of measuring development)

-Paragraphs for each point (All the ways of measuring development- a paragraph each)- Use the PEELCEEL structure and define the keywords, Put examples in after your point (strengths of the development shown by a case study/ weakness of a development shown by a case study)

-Conclusion- repeat your main argument, don't add anything new like figures etc.

I always got told to create a strong argument but do look at other perspective.

BTW what case studies are you thinking of using? and maybe check some markschemes online to give you an idea of how to answer an evaluate question for your examboard
Reply 2
Original post by PinkSmoothie
Hi there,
The way that i used to do geography questions was like:

-Intro (Summaries your main argument and defines keywords/terms in the question (i suppose you don't need to in this question but you can state all the ways of measuring development)

-Paragraphs for each point (All the ways of measuring development- a paragraph each)- Use the PEELCEEL structure and define the keywords, Put examples in after your point (strengths of the development shown by a case study/ weakness of a development shown by a case study)

-Conclusion- repeat your main argument, don't add anything new like figures etc.

I always got told to create a strong argument but do look at other perspective.

BTW what case studies are you thinking of using? and maybe check some markschemes online to give you an idea of how to answer an evaluate question for your examboard

Hey there I do edexcel geography and I couldn't really find a mark scheme for this question, maybe it's made up by my teacher :smile:

I didn't think I needed to use case study for this question? and what's PEELCEEL?
Hey,
I did edexcel aswell.

Yes I suppose you don't really need to use case studies for that specific question and you should use evaluate the strengths and weaknesses between each measure.

Oh, if you didn't find a mark scheme for that specific question, you could just search any random past paper 20 mark evaluate question and look at the mark scheme on how they award marks to students so that it gives you an idea on what points a 20 marker should include. Plus, looking at sample questions/examiner feedback (i'm not sure if its only available to the sixth form/college or online for everyone) is quite helpful.

PEELCEEL is Point, Evidence, Explain, Link (to the question and point you made) 2nd paragraph Compare/contrast?, Example, Explain, Link (to the question and point you made)

Quick Reply

Latest