The Student Room Group

Manchester City accused of breaking financial rules by Premier League

The Premier League has accused Manchester City of breaking its financial rules following a long-running investigation.It has referred the club to a commission over alleged breaches between the 2009-10 and 2017-18 seasons.
In a statement the Premier League said City breached rules requiring them to provide "accurate financial information that gives a true and fair view of the club's financial position".

This information included the club's revenue, including sponsorship revenue and operating costs.

Further breaches related to rules requiring full details of "manager remuneration".

These were related to the 2009-10 to 2012-13 seasons, when Roberto Mancini was in charge.

In 2020 City had a two-year ban from European club competitions overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas), after Uefa ruled that City committed "serious breaches" of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations between 2012 and 2016.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64536785

I don't think anyone will be surprised but also Man City are teflon so nothing will stick..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
The Premier League has accused Manchester City of breaking its financial rules following a long-running investigation.It has referred the club to a commission over alleged breaches between the 2009-10 and 2017-18 seasons.
In a statement the Premier League said City breached rules requiring them to provide "accurate financial information that gives a true and fair view of the club's financial position".

This information included the club's revenue, including sponsorship revenue and operating costs.

Further breaches related to rules requiring full details of "manager remuneration".

These were related to the 2009-10 to 2012-13 seasons, when Roberto Mancini was in charge.

In 2020 City had a two-year ban from European club competitions overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas), after Uefa ruled that City committed "serious breaches" of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations between 2012 and 2016.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64536785

I don't think anyone will be surprised but also Man City are teflon so nothing will stick..

Lol It’s an oil club with oil owners and oil money what’s you expect just like Todd fraudley and chelsea.
(edited 1 year ago)
The PL will never actually prosecute rule breakers. Why would they, the PL is now the richest and most successful league in the world. Teams like West Ham/Everton who are in the relegation zone now spend £40m on players. Chelsea are midtable and drop £600m in a year.

However, the bubble will burst as they always do.
I mean this is a lot more serious than the cynical takes so far. this is less about FFP compliance and more an accusation of cooking the books for a decade, submitting deliberately fraudulent accounts; accounts which would have been audited by a big 4 firm no doubt. If the PL prove any of it, regardless of whether they just get a slap on the wrist in terms of footballing sanctions, HMRC are gonna take interest and an accounting firm are going down in flames
I would love Citeh to not only be points, deducted into league 2 or even kicked out but also stripped of the titles they unfairly gained by spending so much.

But yeah, the fa are corrupt AF, so nothing gonna happen
(edited 1 year ago)
I suspect City will be ok, they got past UEFA...I think they will do the same with the FA.

Generally it seems to me the City regime has focused on finding ways around the rules i.e. being ahead of the FA/regulations rather then formally breaching them.

They have excellent lawyers and in-house contract expertise. Often these things come down to they broke the intention of the rule, but not the rule itself.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
I suspect City will be ok, they got past UEFA...I think they will do the same with the FA.

Generally it seems to me the City regime has focused on finding ways around the rules i.e. being ahead of the FA/regulations rather then formally breaching them.

They have excellent lawyers and in-house contract expertise. Often these things come down to they broke the intention of the rule, but not the rule itself.

The UEFA decision was appealed and went to CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) which often overturns sensible decisions. Two main points from that was:
- a number of findings were ruled to be time barred as over 5 years
- CAS said Man City behaviour was shady and UEFA were entitled to bring the case but just not quite enough proof

This PL invesitigation can't go to CAS due to the agreed rules. That means the arbitration will decide so maybe there is some hope that Man City will get in trouble.
An accusation against City again. I don't think that it changes anything. They past UEFA and they will past FA too. I see no consequences for that team at all. City finds a way again and gets absolution.
(edited 1 year ago)
Tell us something we didn’t know already.
Original post by Driving_Mad
Tell us something we didn’t know already.

As next we learn that the UEFA and FIFA are corrupt. That's old hat and everyone knows.
"Trust me, at the top it isn't lonely"

City are by far the most successful side in the last ten years. They ain't crying, they know they're better. Love the rage they are drawing out.

Can't stand Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd. Would much rather City win the league every year. Their fans are far less annoying because they don't have many.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
Last year Pep said he would quit immediately if Man City were found to have been cheating as he had asked the executives to confirm to him that they hadn't been cheating.

Assuming he keeps his word and Man City are found guilty, could this be Pep's last chance to win the CL with Man City?
Reply 12
Last year Pep said he would quit immediately if Man City were found to have been cheating as he had asked the executives to confirm to him that they hadn't been cheating.

Assuming he keeps his word and Man City are found guilty, could this be Pep's last chance to win the CL with Man City?

Potentially next season as well, as this will definitely take a couple of years to resolve.

Could 100% see Pep throwing his toys out the pram and saying **** the PL and just go solely for the CL.
Reply 13
I understand why this has taken so long to investigate, as they want to make sure they have a cast iron case before going public, but this makes a mockery of the last 4 seasons.

Whilst they’re only investigating up to 2017/18, the seasons after have to be taken into account considering the seasons after only have those players and manager if the previous seasons happened.

People also need to remember that the FA are nothing to do with this, the PL is its own standalone body with its own rules. Those rules are voted on by members, including City, so the technicalities that got them off from the UEFA charge don’t apply.

The PL have to play this right as a fine is pointless to someone with unlimited wealth and a points deduction in a single season is pointless.

I can’t see them relegating City or taking away previous titles. I’m unsure on what punishments they can impose but one, if able to, will have to be along the lines of what happens with La Liga clubs, in that City will have to declare all revenue, wages etc. in advance and the league will have to limit what they believe is true or not.

A more creative punishment is whatever percent they overinflated for the last 12 years or so, their revenue is decreased by that percent for the next 12 years and they are not allowed to increase the value of any sponsorships from this point on.

Really hamstrings them regardless of wealth but allows the brand to remain nominally competitive.
Reply 14
Original post by Mess.
I understand why this has taken so long to investigate, as they want to make sure they have a cast iron case before going public, but this makes a mockery of the last 4 seasons.

Whilst they’re only investigating up to 2017/18, the seasons after have to be taken into account considering the seasons after only have those players and manager if the previous seasons happened.

People also need to remember that the FA are nothing to do with this, the PL is its own standalone body with its own rules. Those rules are voted on by members, including City, so the technicalities that got them off from the UEFA charge don’t apply.

The PL have to play this right as a fine is pointless to someone with unlimited wealth and a points deduction in a single season is pointless.

I can’t see them relegating City or taking away previous titles. I’m unsure on what punishments they can impose but one, if able to, will have to be along the lines of what happens with La Liga clubs, in that City will have to declare all revenue, wages etc. in advance and the league will have to limit what they believe is true or not.

A more creative punishment is whatever percent they overinflated for the last 12 years or so, their revenue is decreased by that percent for the next 12 years and they are not allowed to increase the value of any sponsorships from this point on.

Really hamstrings them regardless of wealth but allows the brand to remain nominally competitive.

Probably been a very small team investigating and collecting all the information.

I think they only investigated up to 2017/18 because after that Man City stopped co-operating and providing information?

No appeal to CAS either in this case.

They could ban them from Europe for a few years?
I waiting to see the champions league gaints.
arsenal v united for every league title now im hearing

run it back
Original post by Dwayne53
I waiting to see the champions league gaints.

In other words: you are for the super league or did I get you wrong?
Reply 18
Original post by jonjoshelveygoat
arsenal v united for every league title now im hearing

run it back

It's not the year 2000.

Chelsea just spent £600mil on 17 players so once Man City are punished, we all expect Chelsea to win the next 4 of 5 league titles.

Amirite @bj27 ?
Reply 19
It's not the year 2000.

Chelsea just spent £600mil on 17 players so once Man City are punished, we all expect Chelsea to win the next 4 of 5 league titles.

Amirite @bj27 ?

Disagree completely.

We might make top 4 in 3 or 4 years time.

Until then we are little dark horses at best compared to the might of Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United.

This feels more like the top 4 of 2005-09
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest