The Student Room Group

Psychology AS

Hi Guys, I just wanted to know your guys opinion about studying AS psychology as i'm currently choosing my A-Level Subjects. Career wise I would like to do computer science
Do you find it interesting?
What is the content like?
what else are you considering
Reply 2
Original post by User_022023
what else are you considering

Maths (for sure)
Physics (Im not too sure because i've heard its really heard)
Computer Science (Most likely but I still need more insight of the A level) I'm currently doing GCSE Computer Science, however a lot of university's mainly look for maths and physics if you want to do a com sci degree
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
Geography
Further maths (I have heard its quite hard so this is least likely) - my gcse predictions are quite low for further maths
i see all your options look okay so If you're interested in psychology definitely take it
Reply 4
Original post by User_022023
i see all your options look okay so If you're interested in psychology definitely take it

Thank you, for me its more whether I find it hard or not
Which A levels did you choose?
I found it very interesting and also quite easy compared to chemistry and physics, mind you this was 2006.
Reply 6
Original post by DHammond III
I found it very interesting and also quite easy compared to chemistry and physics, mind you this was 2006.

Thank you for letting me know
Original post by lillybloom
Hi Guys, I just wanted to know your guys opinion about studying AS psychology as i'm currently choosing my A-Level Subjects. Career wise I would like to do computer science

Hi, I'm in year 13 so I hope I can give some insight?? (I study aqa bio, ocr chem, and aqa psych, for reference)

I love psychology A-Level! It's really, not easy, but it flows? All the content interlinks and by the end of the course - if there's any parts you don't get - EVERYTHING makes sense because it's all so interlinked.
It is such a nice break from chem and bio because they're mainly application of knowledge whereas psych is predominantly recall of knowledge!
There's a few units that I particularly love: approaches (different ideas about why people behave the way they do), biopsychology (basically bio but more in depth and focussed on specific parts of the body), psychopathology (all about depression/ocd/phobias, like their causes and treatments).
There is one universal unit that everyone hates: research methods. However, by the sounds of things you enjoy maths so you should find it easy. It's not hard it's just quite boring!! It's statistics and graphs and how to conduct studies.

One thing I will say is that it interlinks with a lot of topics (e.g. biopsych - biology, research methods - maths, even approaches - ict) so if you can tactically choose your a-levels you'd be helping yourself out.

I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions just lmk! :smile:
Reply 8
I'm loving this website so far, its so helpful
Thank you so much for your response ,
I'm looking to only study psychology at AS so I can focus more on my other subjects for A Levels
The sticky situation I have here is, I've heard a lot of people saying there is a huge amount of content, compared to biology - would you say this yourself?
Second of all, If i choose psychology, my other options would be computer science, physics and maths - if i find physics to be overwhelming I would have to drop it, and I don't think I would like to do psychology as an A level.
Also my english predicted grade isnt looking so great so i highly doubt colleges will accept me
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm loving this website so far, its so helpful
Thank you so much for your response ,
I'm looking to only study psychology at AS so I can focus more on my other subjects for A Levels
The sticky situation I have here is, I've heard a lot of people saying there is a huge amount of content, compared to biology - would you say this yourself?
Second of all, If i choose psychology, my other options would be computer science, physics and maths - if i find physics to be overwhelming I would have to drop it, and I don't think I would like to do psychology as an A level.
Also my english predicted grade isnt looking so great so i highly doubt colleges will accept me

In my opinion biology has way more content than psychology for AS. As a full A-Level then maybe my answer would differ but as an AS psychology has less content than biology.
You might fall in love with psychology and want to continue it (lots of my friends did) but i have heard physics is quite hard. Remembering why you're doing it is key to motivating yourself.
I needed a 6 to do psychology at my college, what's your grade looking like? There's still time to turn it around!!

Heya!
For CS you would need maths with the other 2 usually being optional (but I would always recommend double-checking entry requirements to make sure!). If you like essays then psychology would be good, though if you want to do psychology in the future it's usually good to pair it with biology :h: If it helps, you could find YT reviews on psychology or look through the content and see whether it's something you will like or not.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply