The Student Room Group

Resit

Should I resit GCSEs I did my GCSEs about a year ago but I didn’t get the grades I wanted so I am resitting I have decided last minute to resit so should I resit. I have all the resources needed like the CGP and Collins books and lot and lots of flashcards. Is 3 months enough I would also have to pay for them so this is why I am deciding if 3 months is enough I am only going to resit 3 subjects.
Original post by Denaaa
Should I resit GCSEs I did my GCSEs about a year ago but I didn’t get the grades I wanted so I am resitting I have decided last minute to resit so should I resit. I have all the resources needed like the CGP and Collins books and lot and lots of flashcards. Is 3 months enough I would also have to pay for them so this is why I am deciding if 3 months is enough I am only going to resit 3 subjects.

What are the 3 subjects?
Original post by NazifaNawer
What are the 3 subjects?

Maths, combined science and history
I'm not sure about combined science or history. But maths is doable
I'm not sure about combined science or history. But maths is doable

I did a mock recently and in science i got a 3 which was 10 marks away from a 4 and a 3 in history 8 marks always from a 4 and maths which was a 2
Original post by Denaaa
I did a mock recently and in science i got a 3 which was 10 marks away from a 4 and a 3 in history 8 marks always from a 4 and maths which was a 2

I don't know how you study science but this is how I did it:

1. Do a past paper by yourself (when I first started doing past papers, I didn't even get 10 marks:tongue:). If you have absolutely no idea how to do science past papers, then first do a couple of them while using the mark scheme.
2. Make flashcards of the questions you couldn't answer. I used to make around 20 flashcards for only one paper. Write the question in one side of the flashcard and the answer from the mark scheme on the other side.
3. Practice the flashcards and past papers everyday. Eventually, you'll see that the questions in the flashcards repeats themselves in the past papers.

It might be a little demotivating at first to see how terrible you are at doing the past papers but after a while you'll improve.

I didn't have history in IGCSE and I have no idea how I got 9 in maths. I thought I would get a 6. So I'm not qualified to give advice for maths.

Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
I don't know how you study science but this is how I did it:

1. Do a past paper by yourself (when I first started doing past papers, I didn't even get 10 marks:tongue:). If you have absolutely no idea how to do science past papers, then first do a couple of them while using the mark scheme.
2. Make flashcards of the questions you couldn't answer. I used to make around 20 flashcards for only one paper. Write the question in one side of the flashcard and the answer from the mark scheme on the other side.
3. Practice the flashcards and past papers everyday. Eventually, you'll see that the questions in the flashcards repeats themselves in the past papers.

It might be a little demotivating at first to see how terrible you are at doing the past papers but after a while you'll improve.

I didn't have history in IGCSE and I have no idea how I got 9 in maths. I thought I would get a 6. So I'm not qualified to give advice for maths.

Good luck!

For science I have the CGP books so basically I go through to topics and learn all of them do quizzes and use Seneca and then after learning the whole of paper 1 I do past paper and any topic I get wrong I go back to the topic and recap and do lots of exam style questions. For maths I am using maths genie, past paper and exam style question for maths I also have the Collins book and workbook. Same for science. For history I do the same as I did for science
Original post by Denaaa
For science I have the CGP books so basically I go through to topics and learn all of them do quizzes and use Seneca and then after learning the whole of paper 1 I do past paper and any topic I get wrong I go back to the topic and recap and do lots of exam style questions. For maths I am using maths genie, past paper and exam style question for maths I also have the Collins book and workbook. Same for science. For history I do the same as I did for science

That's a pretty good way to revise. It's similar to mine. I'm sure you will get the hang of the past papers soon then
That's a pretty good way to revise. It's similar to mine. I'm sure you will get the hang of the past papers soon then

I already know how to use past paper I understand how to do them it’s just sometimes I don’t understand the topic or my exam technique is really bad. Do you know how I can improve exam technique. My weakest point is exam like I never do good in any of them even if I revise
Original post by Denaaa
I already know how to use past paper I understand how to do them it’s just sometimes I don’t understand the topic or my exam technique is really bad. Do you know how I can improve exam technique. My weakest point is exam like I never do good in any of them even if I revise

That's why use the freaking mark scheme! You should only use seneca or quizzes for the understanding of the topics. But for learning the exam techniques you should learn or memorise the mark scheme answers of the common questions. For example, in biology, a common question is how natural selection occurs. So you should write, memorise or make a flashcard with the answer you found for this question in the mark scheme. I had over 150 flashcards for biology, most of them the questions I got wrong. I still use this technique now in A levels
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest