The Student Room Group

What to study to influence gender equity

Hi

I know I want to go back to university- but I’m unsure what to study that would put me on the correct path to where I’d like to go..

I’m keen to help make changes in gender equality whether that be contributing to research/government or charity but I’ve no idea where to start, I don’t really want life advice but it seems gender studies could be too narrow and sociology a better bachelors route but some say that’s not a strong degree, perhaps law - though I’m not sure I’m intelligent enough to pursue law, more than anything this is a passion I’d like to make a real difference. I’m no Einstein but given the correct route I could make some small contribution, so my question is what degree would best take me in into a job that could affect change in the uk, perhaps not with myself at centre stage but cumulatively.

Thanks
Wait, Gender studies is a degree now? I knew we had mickey mouse courses like media studies etc when I was at uni, but this is a whole new level lmao.
Reply 2
Original post by Guru Jason
Wait, Gender studies is a degree now? I knew we had mickey mouse courses like media studies etc when I was at uni, but this is a whole new level lmao.

11 years on this site playing daily word games? I’d say whatever degree you decided upon might not have been much use to you Mickey, oh whoops I mean Jason.
https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=gender-studies
probs look at this, but dunno if such a course exists
Reply 4
Original post by line296
https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=gender-studies
probs look at this, but dunno if such a course exists

Thanks!
Original post by Matstudy86
11 years on this site playing daily word games? I’d say whatever degree you decided upon might not have been much use to you Mickey, oh whoops I mean Jason.

Youre not wrong but in my defense i hated accounting and decided against doing it for a profession. Surveying is much more fun career.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Matstudy86
Hi

I know I want to go back to university- but I’m unsure what to study that would put me on the correct path to where I’d like to go..

I’m keen to help make changes in gender equality whether that be contributing to research/government or charity but I’ve no idea where to start, I don’t really want life advice but it seems gender studies could be too narrow and sociology a better bachelors route but some say that’s not a strong degree, perhaps law - though I’m not sure I’m intelligent enough to pursue law, more than anything this is a passion I’d like to make a real difference. I’m no Einstein but given the correct route I could make some small contribution, so my question is what degree would best take me in into a job that could affect change in the uk, perhaps not with myself at centre stage but cumulatively.

Thanks

There aren't any undergraduate gender studies degrees I'm aware of in the UK. A typical route into that area would be a social sciences degree (any number could be suitable background depending on your specific interests/preferred approach - sociology, anthropology, history, law, politics, perhaps psychology etc) then a masters/PhD in gender studies. Humanities degrees like literature courses, classics, philosophy etc might be suitable too, especially if you're more interested in the theoretical frameworks and/or applying those to various kinds of texts and media.

Sociology or anthropology would probably allow you to engage with the gender related topics of interest earliest in the course and most directly, but as illustrated above there are plenty of suitable options. Note that for working in the government (i.e. civil service) or in NGOs within the UK the "prestige" of your degree subject is not relevant. It's also largely not relevant for academia (although you would usually need to be in at least an adjacent field, rather than something completely different, although it's not impossible if you are in a totally different area).

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
There aren't any undergraduate gender studies degrees I'm aware of in the UK. A typical route into that area would be a social sciences degree (any number could be suitable background depending on your specific interests/preferred approach - sociology, anthropology, history, law, politics, perhaps psychology etc) then a masters/PhD in gender studies. Humanities degrees like literature courses, classics, philosophy etc might be suitable too, especially if you're more interested in the theoretical frameworks and/or applying those to various kinds of texts and media.

Sociology or anthropology would probably allow you to engage with the gender related topics of interest earliest in the course and most directly, but as illustrated above there are plenty of suitable options. Note that for working in the government (i.e. civil service) or in NGOs within the UK the "prestige" of your degree subject is not relevant. It's also largely not relevant for academia (although you would usually need to be in at least an adjacent field, rather than something completely different, although it's not impossible if you are in a totally different area).

Spoiler

This is exactly what I needed - thank you so much for taking the time to write this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending