The Student Room Group

Psychology or sociology

As a year 11 choosing a levels, does anyone have any advice on picking psychology or sociology and what the courses are like?
Original post by C0nnie0123
As a year 11 choosing a levels, does anyone have any advice on picking psychology or sociology and what the courses are like?

I would choose the one that will be more suitable for you when you are applying for university courses as it depends on what career path you are thinking of doing.
There is cross over between the two and many learners choose to study both, so it is understandable that you are unsure which to choose. Both are also heavy essay based (so hopefully you are OK with essays!). Similarities aside, there are also differences, so my advice would be to look through the specification of each. The key difference would be the research methods topic found in Psychology. This can be a real challenge for some learners (it needn't be, but for some, any sorts of Maths is intimidating). Also, as mentioned in the previous post, think about progression. However, there will be few courses at university for which it would be a deal breaker if you chose one subject over the other. So, assuming you don't want to study either subject at university (in which case, choose that subject), my advice would be to choose the one you like the look of content-wise the most.

Quick Reply

Latest