The Student Room Group

Lost with Computer Science

So yh.

I have a project to complete by the end of the month.
It is a programming. project and I am absolutely struggling with it.
I only know python but I need to use like 5 different languages to produce a website.
I literally have no idea on how to start it. Literally got no base example to follow.
Original post by zayn_24
So yh.

I only know python but I need to use like 5 different languages to produce a website.
I literally have no idea on how to start it. Literally got no base example to follow.

With most seemingly daunting tasks, the best approach is normally to break them into smaller tasks which seem less daunting.

You've focused on the fact that "I need to use like 5 different languages to produce a website". Let's suppose you're talking about Python at the back-end, plus SQL for data processing, and then HTML, CSS and JavaScript on the front-end. Although you could break-up the project by language, it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to do it that way.

It would make more sense to break it up by functionality. You say that you "literally have no idea on how to start it". If that's the case, start where a user would. What's the first page your user would see? Would it be a login page, a home page with lots of links to different content or functionality, or something else? Then do that first, and ignore everything else you need to do. Leave dead links on the page to non-existent content, leave the password reset link (if there is one) broken. Just get something, anything, displayed. The simpler the better.

Then write down a list of the things which need to happen next. Maybe you want to add a page which sits behind one of those broken links, or maybe you want to make it look better by adding some CSS. Whatever you choose to do, make it simple and manageable. Once that's done, move onto the next thing, and then the next thing.

Every long journey is just a sequence of steps, but often the first step is the hardest. Unless you start somewhere you'll never get anywhere.
Original post by DataVenia
With most seemingly daunting tasks, the best approach is normally to break them into smaller tasks which seem less daunting.

You've focused on the fact that "I need to use like 5 different languages to produce a website". Let's suppose you're talking about Python at the back-end, plus SQL for data processing, and then HTML, CSS and JavaScript on the front-end. Although you could break-up the project by language, it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to do it that way.

Could probably chuck PHP in there too for good measure.
Original post by DHammond III
Could probably chuck PHP in there too for good measure.

You could. But OP talks about "5 different languages" and says, "I only know python". So I figured they'd stick with something they know for the server-side stuff. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply.

I have created a login page and like u have said I have spent about 2 hours trying to fix the reset password things.

That's all what I have created.

I was wondering if this is possible.
This is a GitHub which only has a python program not html css or javascript.

I was wondering if it is able and I will be able to add html css and javascript. and make it fancy.

can that be possible

https://github.com/KieranW22/Cinema-Booking-System

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 00.22.40.png
Original post by zayn_24
Thanks for your reply.

I have created a login page and like u have said I have spent about 2 hours trying to fix the reset password things.

That's all what I have created.

I was wondering if this is possible.
This is a GitHub which only has a python program not html css or javascript.

I was wondering if it is able and I will be able to add html css and javascript. and make it fancy.

can that be possible

https://github.com/KieranW22/Cinema-Booking-System

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 00.22.40.png

When you wrote, "This is a GitHub which only has a python program not html css or javascript." I was a little confused as the screenshot you've posted looks very much like it's an HTML page to me (given the file extension). Also, it just appears to be a file sitting beneath your Documents folder, so there doesn't appear to be anything to interpret any server-side code (logic) which might be embedded within it.

Then I took at look at the GitHub link and noticed that it was created six years ago. Is it yours? I ask as the readme file says it "was made during my first term at university". Were you in your first term of university six years ago? Or is this someone else's Python project which you'e using as "inspiration" for your web site?

Would I be right in saying that your login page doesn't actually do anything right now? By that I mean that it doesn't validate your login details, doesn't allow to create a new account itself - it's just a static page. Is that right?

You say that you've "spent about 2 hours trying to fix the reset password things". What have you tried so far? What appears to be the issue? What should happen (from a technical perspective) when the user attempts to reset their password? What actually happens instead?
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
When you wrote, "This is a GitHub which only has a python program not html css or javascript." I was a little confused as the screenshot you've posted looks very much like it's an HTML page to me (given the file extension). Also, it just appears to be a file sitting beneath your Documents folder, so there doesn't appear to be anything to interpret any server-side code (logic) which might be embedded within it.

Then I took at look at the GitHub link and noticed that it was created six years ago. Is it yours? I ask as the readme file says it "was made during my first term at university". Were you in your first term of university six years ago? Or is this someone else's Python project which you'e using as "inspiration" for your web site?

Would I be right in saying that your login page doesn't actually do anything right now? By that I mean that it doesn't validate your login details, doesn't allow to create a new account itself - it's just a static page. Is that right?

You say that you've "spent about 2 hours trying to fix the reset password things". What have you tried so far? What appears to be the issue? What should happen (from a technical perspective) when the user attempts to reset their password? What actually happens instead?

The github program isnt mines ur right. I am actually in my 2nd year college and yes for inspiration uses.
I was wondering if i can use that python program for back end and then add some front end html css and javascript. I dont if that will be possible. I think it is but I dont know. Any advise.
Yes so for login page it is very basic. I have only managed to create another page where a user can enter the details to create an account. But it doesnt process it just a page.
I have only did the html css and java bit. I really do want to create a sql database where those details can be stored as well as forgot my password page.
I have only searched it on google and youtube but i need to create it on python and I seem to be strugglign on it.
But yh mainly static.
Original post by zayn_24
The github program isnt mines ur right. I am actually in my 2nd year college and yes for inspiration uses.
I was wondering if i can use that python program for back end and then add some front end html css and javascript. I dont if that will be possible. I think it is but I dont know. Any advise.
Yes so for login page it is very basic. I have only managed to create another page where a user can enter the details to create an account. But it doesnt process it just a page.
I have only did the html css and java bit. I really do want to create a sql database where those details can be stored as well as forgot my password page.
I have only searched it on google and youtube but i need to create it on python and I seem to be strugglign on it.
But yh mainly static.

Yes, you can use Python for back-end development. It's not something I've done myself, so I can't give you and specific help in doing so. However, this looks like a decent course which runs through how to do so. (A lot is just general Python stuff, so if you're familiar with the language itself you might be able to skip over those bits.)

The one thing I still think you need is something to actually run the back-end code. This page discusses some of your options here, where everything runs locally (so client - i.e. browser - and server) are on the same box. Just having files which you browse to isn't going to cut it, as you need something server-side to run code and deliver HTML to the client.
Reply 8
Thanks for your reply.

RN I have downloaded Pycharm.

I want to use that code and run it with Flask if that's what I should do.

I am thinking if it will be possible to run the code in Flask for a better presentation as well as adding HTML CSS and java to it. Is this the right way or another way.

Any advise
Original post by zayn_24
Thanks for your reply.

RN I have downloaded Pycharm.

I want to use that code and run it with Flask if that's what I should do.

I am thinking if it will be possible to run the code in Flask for a better presentation as well as adding HTML CSS and java to it. Is this the right way or another way.

Any advise

Assuming you mean JavaScript (not Java, which is a very different language) then this sounds like a good plan to me.
Original post by zayn_24
So yh.

What on earth. Why have you got a project like that.

Quick Reply

Latest