The Student Room Group

Which university for Law?

Hi,

I applied to Durham (offer), Manchester (offer), Leicester (offer), UCL and Warwick for Law LLB this September. I sort of have an idea of which uni I will firm for any situation, but I just wanted to get some insight from others beforehand. Obviously, if UCL gives me an offer, I'll firm UCL but if not, I'm still debating on which uni to firm in its place.

So, of all my uni choices, which one would you say (in your own opinion):
1. Best law school
2. Best culture/environment
3. Best for law firms in the UK
4. Best for law firms internationally
5. Is the best choice to firm after UCL in your opinion?

Currently, I'm thinking to firm Manchester if UCL rejects me, then I'll put Durham down as my insurance. But I've heard Durham law graduates are favoured amongst London law firms/law firms in general so I am a bit conflicted. For reference, I do care about school rankings and prestige which is why I'm even debating about this to begin with :smile:

Thanks!
UCL with Durham very close behind. Then Warwick and Manchester.

Culture / environment is entirely subjective. If you're from London, UCL might not be for you, if you're from the Home counties, Durham is pretty much stacked with people from London, Surrey and Hertfordshire. Durham is Diet Cambridge in many respects, with the nice buildings, the bailey colleges etc.

Manchester will have the nightlife. Warwick will exist.

Law firms internationally - UCL is always claiming to be the big international university, and in many ways the way they sell research, there's some truth to this.

As with everything with law, you gotta have a first from a top university. Is a 1st from Durham or UC better than one from Leicester? Of course.

This question comes up all the time - I would weigh up the chaos and expense of central London against the perennial Durham student housing crisis. It's not impossible you'll end up commuting from Newcastle or Gateshead. If you want to say you rowed for your college - then Durham. If you want easy access to pro bono and to have lunch at Sketch, then UCL. If you want mad nightclubs and a music scene, then Manchester. If you want to go to university in Leamington Spa, then Warwick.
Original post by Trinculo

Culture / environment is entirely subjective. If you're from London, UCL might not be for you, if you're from the Home counties, Durham is pretty much stacked with people from London, Surrey and Hertfordshire. Durham is Diet Cambridge in many respects, with the nice buildings, the bailey colleges etc.

Law firms internationally - UCL is always claiming to be the big international university, and in many ways the way they sell research, there's some truth to this.

As with everything with law, you gotta have a first from a top university. Is a 1st from Durham or UC better than one from Leicester? Of course.

This question comes up all the time - I would weigh up the chaos and expense of central London against the perennial Durham student housing crisis. It's not impossible you'll end up commuting from Newcastle or Gateshead. If you want to say you rowed for your college - then Durham. If you want easy access to pro bono and to have lunch at Sketch, then UCL. If you want mad nightclubs and a music scene, then Manchester. If you want to go to university in Leamington Spa, then Warwick.

Thanks for this.

I'm actually an international student so this is all very valuable information as I've never been to the UK, to begin with. My own opinions sort of mirror what you've said, although between Durham and Manchester, which would be the better school? I heard Durham is deemed more prestigious but Manchester is more recognised (as most big-city unis are anyways). In the case UCL rejects me, I would be left with Durham vs Manchester as my firm choice. Leicester was just there as a safe school and I'm not too keen on going there so we can ignore this as a variable.
Original post by dyinglawstudent
Thanks for this.

I'm actually an international student so this is all very valuable information as I've never been to the UK, to begin with. My own opinions sort of mirror what you've said, although between Durham and Manchester, which would be the better school? I heard Durham is deemed more prestigious but Manchester is more recognised (as most big-city unis are anyways). In the case UCL rejects me, I would be left with Durham vs Manchester as my firm choice. Leicester was just there as a safe school and I'm not too keen on going there so we can ignore this as a variable.

I think that in absolute terms the difference is quite marginal. If you are talking internationally, I can't comment on the differences in recognition / prestige. In the UK some people might think Durham sounds better, but I don't think even they would think it's much of a consideration.

If you are international, your quality of life may be something to pay attention to. See what kind of arrangements are made for accomodating overseas students - bearing in mind that you don't yet know which college you'd be at. If there are no extra provisions, you may be just mixed in with everyone else and scrapping for a place to live, and you do risk having to travel every day at Durham. I would be confident that this is much less of an issue at Manchester with designated international halls, and much larger housing stock. It seems an unusual thing to be concerned about, but if you are unhappy because of daily travel arrangements, that will affect your whole unversity experience.

This would probably be one of the reasons to look at Warwick. Whilst it's not the most inspiring town, it is a proper campus university.
Durham as insurance? You have a contextual offer I assume
Hi,

I applied to Durham (offer), Manchester (offer), Leicester (offer), UCL and Warwick for Law LLB this September. I sort of have an idea of which uni I will firm for any situation, but I just wanted to get some insight from others beforehand. Obviously, if UCL gives me an offer, I'll firm UCL but if not, I'm still debating on which uni to firm in its place.

So, of all my uni choices, which one would you say (in your own opinion):
1. Best law school
2. Best culture/environment
3. Best for law firms in the UK
4. Best for law firms internationally
5. Is the best choice to firm after UCL in your opinion?

Currently, I'm thinking to firm Manchester if UCL rejects me, then I'll put Durham down as my insurance. But I've heard Durham law graduates are favoured amongst London law firms/law firms in general so I am a bit conflicted. For reference, I do care about school rankings and prestige which is why I'm even debating about this to begin with :smile:

Thanks!

My opinion:

First UCL, then Durham then Manchester. Depending on the offer conditions, I would firm UCL and insure Durham. If no UCL offer, then Durham/Manchester.
In terms of prestige/rankings, Durham law is way ahead of Manchester.

If this is your main consideration, it is not even a question. Warwick is also better than Manchester for law. I would rank them as so (for prestige/rankings and employment).

UCL > Durham > Warwick > Manchester > Leicester.

There isn’t a big difference between UCL and Durham, and many times people actually pick the latter over the former. Durham actually has more grads in top city firms than UCL, which is interesting.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Trinculo

False.

That is, unless you want to become a barrister in certain areas of law (commercial, chancery etc). For MC and top City firms, a 2.1 will be more than sufficient.
Original post by fec1864
In terms of prestige/rankings, Durham law is way ahead of Manchester.

If this is your main consideration, it is not even a question. Warwick is also better than Manchester for law. I would rank them as so (for prestige/rankings and employment).

UCL > Durham > Warwick > Manchester > Leicester.

There isn’t a big difference between UCL and Durham, and many times people actually pick the latter over the former. Durham actually has more grads in top city firms than UCL, which is interesting.

There isn’t a difference between Manchester and Warwick either
Original post by LawStudent456
There isn’t a difference between Manchester and Warwick either

Manchester is not on this list. The fact is, not as many people who graduate from Manchester get the top city jobs. So there is a difference. Manchester is definitely a good uni, but in terms of law Warwick trumps it.

* the reason the London unis are lower is because they have generally smaller intakes, especially LSE. Manchester, however, has a large intake and does not not make it on the list.

7EC04CBC-F68F-4E49-BF1A-639935D5B7F0.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by LawStudent456
Durham as insurance? You have a contextual offer I assume

Yeah, for Durham, they’ve given me a grade lower than the standard (which I wasn’t expecting since I wasn’t applying as a contextual applicant). If the offer was standard, I would never dream to insurance Durham.
Alright, so far the consensus is that Durham > Manchester. But also that Warwick > Manchester, which is interesting to see because when I compared League tables, Manchester ranked higher than Warwick.

But anyways, I’m not very hopeful to get UCL so from what everyone’s been saying + my own deliberations, I’ll stick with Durham as firm for now. I like the course at Durham way more than at any other uni, so it’s good to know there’s prestige and good career prospects to back it up.
Alright, so far the consensus is that Durham > Manchester. But also that Warwick > Manchester, which is interesting to see because when I compared League tables, Manchester ranked higher than Warwick.

But anyways, I’m not very hopeful to get UCL so from what everyone’s been saying + my own deliberations, I’ll stick with Durham as firm for now. I like the course at Durham way more than at any other uni, so it’s good to know there’s prestige and good career prospects to back it up.

Good to hear! You’ll probably see me at Durham in the autumn as I also have an offer for law. I also agree about Durham’s course I prefer it over my other options. A lot of the modules look so interesting/are unique and it is structured nicely. Definitely has the prestige and career prospects, with the most graduates outside Oxbridge in the top, highest paid jobs in London! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
I don’t understand why Leicester isn’t higher up the rankings. I did law there and was very satisfied with my course and loved that the course and Uni were full of normal people (v few snobs). I still have friends who also did law and are partners in law firms now. Yes, having a degree from a famous school brand might put you further up the pile of resumes, but it also matters that you have other interests that can add value to a firm. And ultimately, don’t give up trying to get in.

Quick Reply

Latest