The Student Room Group

help lol

so i’m a homeskler but i self study instead of using a tutor,, n my gcse exams r coming up so i’m confused ab specifically gcse aqa history cusss ik there r 4 papers (55 mins each) but w my topics n looking at the past papers on the aqa web,,, how would i pick which ones i do for the actual exam? would i jus b given all of them n only answer the ones i’ve studied or is there like a form thing u have to fill in a few weeks b4 the exam? sm1 pls help cus idkkkk i have no tutor or any1 to ask lol <33333

i also do germany, ww1, elizabethan england & health n the ppl
Here is a link to the AQA GCSE History Specification:

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/history/gcse/history-8145/specification-at-a-glance

From the look of it, for Section A - Paper 1 you have a choice of:

AA America, 1840–1895: Expansion and consolidation
AB Germany, 1890–1945: Democracy and dictatorship
AC Russia, 1894–1945: Tsardom and communism
AD America, 1920–1973: Opportunity and inequality

You say you're studying Germany, so that's your Section A sorted. You don't need to answer any questions that are from the other choices, although they may show on your paper. Just ignore the questions that aren't related to Germany.

For Section B - Paper 1 you have a choice of:

BA Conflict and tension: The First World War, 1894–1918
BB Conflict and tension: The inter-war years, 1918–1939
BC Conflict and tension between East and West, 1945–1972
BD Conflict and tension in Asia, 1950–1975
BE Conflict and tension in the Gulf and Afghanistan, 1990–2009

You say you're studying WWII - do you mean you've chosen option BC? If so, just ignore any questions that are about the other topics, if any are on your paper.

For Paper 2, Section A you have a choice of:

AA Britain: Health and the people: c1000 to the present day
AB Britain: Power and the people: c1170 to the present day
AC Britain: Migration, empires and the people: c790 to the present day

As you're studying Health and the people, just answer questions about Health and the people. Ignore any questions about the other two topics, if any are on your paper.

And for Paper 2, Section B you have a choice of:

BA Norman England, c1066–c1100
BB Medieval England: the reign of Edward I, 1272–1307
BC Elizabethan England, c1568–1603
BD Restoration England, 1660–1685

So this means you will answer questions about Elizabethan England as you say that's what you're studying, and you would ignore any questions on Normal England, Edward I, and Restoration England if they are on your paper as well.

The Specification page does say that options are to be declared at point of entry, so you ought to make your exam centre aware of your choices. If you are already booked into an exam centre (which, if you are taking exams this summer, your parents should have done for you already), then the exam centre really should be asking you which options you've picked. If they haven't, ask your parents to contact them.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Here is a link to the AQA GCSE History Specification:

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/history/gcse/history-8145/specification-at-a-glance

From the look of it, for Section A - Paper 1 you have a choice of:

AA America, 1840–1895: Expansion and consolidation
AB Germany, 1890–1945: Democracy and dictatorship
AC Russia, 1894–1945: Tsardom and communism
AD America, 1920–1973: Opportunity and inequality

You say you're studying Germany, so that's your Section A sorted. You don't need to answer any questions that are from the other choices, although they may show on your paper. Just ignore the questions that aren't related to Germany.

For Section B - Paper 1 you have a choice of:

BA Conflict and tension: The First World War, 1894–1918
BB Conflict and tension: The inter-war years, 1918–1939
BC Conflict and tension between East and West, 1945–1972
BD Conflict and tension in Asia, 1950–1975
BE Conflict and tension in the Gulf and Afghanistan, 1990–2009

You say you're studying WWII - do you mean you've chosen option BC? If so, just ignore any questions that are about the other topics, if any are on your paper.

For Paper 2, Section A you have a choice of:

AA Britain: Health and the people: c1000 to the present day
AB Britain: Power and the people: c1170 to the present day
AC Britain: Migration, empires and the people: c790 to the present day

As you're studying Health and the people, just answer questions about Health and the people. Ignore any questions about the other two topics, if any are on your paper.

And for Paper 2, Section B you have a choice of:

BA Norman England, c1066–c1100
BB Medieval England: the reign of Edward I, 1272–1307
BC Elizabethan England, c1568–1603
BD Restoration England, 1660–1685

So this means you will answer questions about Elizabethan England as you say that's what you're studying, and you would ignore any questions on Normal England, Edward I, and Restoration England if they are on your paper as well.

The Specification page does say that options are to be declared at point of entry, so you ought to make your exam centre aware of your choices. If you are already booked into an exam centre (which, if you are taking exams this summer, your parents should have done for you already), then the exam centre really should be asking you which options you've picked. If they haven't, ask your parents to contact them.

thank u smmmmmmmm 4 this!!!! i still haven't contacted the exam centre but i'll b sure to <3333
Original post by mzzz_k
thank u smmmmmmmm 4 this!!!! i still haven't contacted the exam centre but i'll b sure to <3333

Are you booked in though?
Reply 4
Are you booked in though?

no not yet
Reply 5
do i have to book myself in this early? i thought u do it around april????
Original post by mzzz_k
do i have to book myself in this early? i thought u do it around april????

You're taking exams this summer?? :eek:

You should definitely be booked in by now. The deadline for booking exams without incurring any late charges is this month. Depending on which exam centre you're using, the deadline may already have passed (for example, Tutors and Exams exam centres' deadline was yesterday).

After that, there are late fees. Then there are higher late fees if you leave it too long after that (for Tutors and Exams exam centres, higher late fees apply from 1st April).
Reply 7
You're taking exams this summer?? :eek:

You should definitely be booked in by now. The deadline for booking exams without incurring any late charges is this month. Depending on which exam centre you're using, the deadline may already have passed (for example, Tutors and Exams exam centres' deadline was yesterday).

After that, there are late fees. Then there are higher late fees if you leave it too long after that (for Tutors and Exams exam centres, higher late fees apply from 1st April).

i am taking exams this yr but i didn't know u had to book in so early omgggg,, thank u for telling me lol
Original post by mzzz_k
i am taking exams this yr but i didn't know u had to book in so early omgggg,, thank u for telling me lol

Definitely get booked in asap.
I've personally had my kids booked in since August, but most people tend to book in around October-December time.

If you had left it until April you'd have been kind of screwed.

(Really this is not your fault though, this is your parents' responsibility)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mzzz_k

https://www.jcq.org.uk/private-candidates
If you haven't found a exam centre yet then you can use this site to find all the exam centres near you. Make sure to look if the exam centre has the subject you want AND the exam board too. Then contact them asap to get your exams booked.
Reply 10
Definitely get booked in asap.
I've personally had my kids booked in since August, but most people tend to book in around October-December time.

If you had left it until April you'd have been kind of screwed.

(Really this is not your fault though, this is your parents' responsibility)

i didn't rly push it cus i didn't know but i'm rly grateful to u for mentioning this <3
Reply 11
Original post by alanb21
https://www.jcq.org.uk/private-candidates
If you haven't found a exam centre yet then you can use this site to find all the exam centres near you. Make sure to look if the exam centre has the subject you want AND the exam board too. Then contact them asap to get your exams booked.

thank u smmmm <333333

Quick Reply