The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam Student Accommodation

Hey, I’m thinking about coming to Sheffield Hallam, what is the best accommodation to stay in for first year and then beyond?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I’m thinking about coming to Sheffield Hallam, what is the best accommodation to stay in for first year and then beyond?

Hi, I’m Scarlet and I’m a third-year student at Sheffield Hallam.

That’s great that your considering Sheffield Hallam, if it’s anything like mine and my friends experience then you will absolutely love it!

Usually in first year, students will stay in halls of residents, as this is the easiest and best way to make friends. When deciding which accommodation to stay in, it totally depends on your budget and what sort of thing you are after (number of flatmates, gym, extra facilities, wheelchair access, location etc). Take a look at the halls of resident’s section on the Sheffield Hallam website to see the options https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/accommodation/properties

In my first year, I stayed in The Elements, which is a new build of flats with ensuite’s and shared kitchen and dining areas. I had 4 other flatmates which was a great start to making friends straight away. I had a great time here and found it very convenient as it was situated a few minutes’ walk from Aldi, and a short walk from both uni campuses. I also found this accommodation great as it came with all appliances included, and a small gym and other good facilities, like study rooms. I’ll link this accommodation here so you can take a look at the 360 tours from the Sheffield Hallam website, https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/accommodation/properties/elements

Whatever halls of residence you decide on, I recommend staying in a flat with 4/5 others, this worked well for me as it wasn’t too cramped in the kitchen when everyone's cooking their dinner, but it was enough people to make some good friends, but again this totally depends on what you’re after.

Regarding beyond first year, usually students will rent houses with some of their friends. I preferred being in a house as it was more homely, and I felt a lot more independent. I lived with a few of the girls I lived with in first year and some course friends and it worked well. My student house was situated near Eccellsall Road which is an area where loads of students live, so it has a great vibe. This road it right near Collegiate campus and has tonnes of pubs, independent shops, and coffee shops. Students usually start making their second year living plans within the first 6 months of moving to university so they can secure their housing, so this is quite early, but don’t worry, there will always be accommodation options available, even if you need to make a last-minute decision.

Of course, if you live in halls of residence in first year and would like to stay in halls, then you can do this, instead of renting a house, it’s totally your choice and you probably won’t know your preference until you need to make, you’re decision for second year.

I hope this helped.

If you have any other questions about Sheffield Hallam or anything more general about university life, I’ll be happy to help.

Scarlet Student Ambassador SHU
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Quick Reply