The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Advice on conditional offer

I received a conditional offer from the University of Southampton which I wasn't expecting at all. The conditions are getting 45 distinctions from my Access Diploma. I've got my first 2 Distinctions which are worth 3 credits each and is predicted to get distinctions for the rest of the course. Unfortunately, I received my first Merit from one subject. This means I no longer meet the requirements in getting into the uni.

I was planning to make Southampton my first choice, but is it wise to do so as they might not let me in due to my grades? I'm really disappointed as I expected to get a distinction for the first graded unit for this subject as I did get a distinction for the other 2. Hopefully, I will get a distinction for the remaining graded units.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ruthie_kis
I received a conditional offer from the University of Southampton which I wasn't expecting at all. The conditions are getting 45 distinctions from my Access Diploma. I've got my first 2 Distinctions which are worth 3 credits each and is predicted to get distinctions for the rest of the course. Unfortunately, I received my first Merit from one subject. This means I no longer meet the requirements in getting into the uni.

I was planning to make Southampton my first choice, but is it wise to do so as they might not let me in due to my grades? I'm really disappointed as I expected to get a distinction for the first graded unit for this subject as I did get a distinction for the other 2. Hopefully, I will get a distinction for the remaining graded units.

A lot of unis still give places to people who don’t meet the conditions, I’m not sure about Southampton specifically though, someone else might know. You could still put it in as your first choice as you still have a chance of getting in!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Hi,
Hope you are well!
Conditional offers are the most common type of offer given out by UK universities as they want you to demonstrate your ability, however this doesn't mean you have no hope if these requirements aren't met! I'm not exactly sure of your circumstances as I don't know how Access Diplomas work, but if you do not meet the offer, or are close to it, going through clearing is always an option. This is when the university tend to lower their offers and accept students who may not have achieved or may have come close to achieving their original offer. If I were you I would still put it as your first choice because of this.
Hope this helps! :smile:

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest