The Student Room Group
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm an international student looking forward to studying undergraduate in the UK. Typically international students would need to undergo a foundation year before studying their desired course however I want to apply for a direct entry. Currently, I am studying A levels but I haven't taken any GCSEs nor have any qualifications that is equivalent to it (Except for English). Is there still a chance for me?

Have you looked at the entry requirements for your subject on uni websites?
Original post by normaw
Have you looked at the entry requirements for your subject on uni websites?

Yes I have, I looked for the entry requirements for my country as well. My subject requires AAA - AAB in A levels with no specific subjects required or a mix in maths, science and humanities/art but I'm unsure whether or not they also need GCSEs because some don't state it and some do
Yes I have, I looked for the entry requirements for my country as well. My subject requires AAA - AAB in A levels with no specific subjects required or a mix in maths, science and humanities/art but I'm unsure whether or not they also need GCSEs because some don't state it and some do

GCSEs in maths and English (or their equivalent) are standard requirements for most unis. However, I would recommend you email the unis and ask them to clarify their specific GCSE requirements.
Original post by normaw
GCSEs in maths and English (or their equivalent) are standard requirements for most unis. However, I would recommend you email the unis and ask them to clarify their specific GCSE requirements.

Ah I see, thank you. Besides emailing about their specific requirements for GCSEs, what should I do?
Ah I see, thank you. Besides emailing about their specific requirements for GCSEs, what should I do?

Tell them what course(s) you are interested in and provide your academic background, IE what qualifications you have, and are taking currently.
Reply 6
They may say they do, but because they admit international students, they really don't because, in those countries, they usually don't have IGCSEs. In Australia, a few do, but only a few. More common are A levels, but even then, they are rare. Still, some students have A levels but no IGCSE. The usual process is they, by some means, ascertain you are at that level. As a math guy, math is easy - you usually have done A-level math, which is above IGCSE. English is; did you study in English? It was similar for the Australian University I went to. I had B's in senior math (equivalent in Australia to A-Level math) but failed English. Some universities would reject that, but mine (and many do this these days) say for English just studying in English is fine. But everyone was required to do Professional Communication at University which brings your English to well above High School in what counts at university - the ability to write reports and research papers. I got an honour because it had no Shakespeare, poetry etc that I detested, plus other reasons I will not go into.

Latest

Trending

Trending