The Student Room Group

Do GCSE’s matter for uni?

Currently in year 12. Predicted 3 A’s. At GCSE I got 88888776654 With 8s in physics, maths, chemistry and English literature. With a 4 in English language. Will this rule me out from applying to top universities?
Oxford probably won't have you, but you'll likely be fine for anywhere else*

I got into Leeds with A*AAAABBBCCC so clearly RG unis aren't expecting a string of 8s and 9s.

*not sure about that 4 in English. Might have to up it to a 5. Check uni entry requirements.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by coygks
Currently in year 12. Predicted 3 A’s. At GCSE I got 88888776654 With 8s in physics, maths, chemistry and English literature. With a 4 in English language. Will this rule me out from applying to top universities?

Some unis might require a grade 5 for English language. If you have a subject in mind for uni, check the entry requirements on the websites of a few of the unis you are considering. If you do need to up your grade, you could retake it alongside your A levels.
Original post by coygks

Depends on what course you are applying to and at which top unis.

Oxford, for example, would likely not take you- mostly because the set of predicted A level grades is below what most of their entry requirements are.
Original post by coygks

Hi there :smile:

This really depends on which uni you are wanting to apply to and which course. I would say that the main focus is whether you meet the Alevel entry requirements for the course you are wanting to study. As for GCSE's most unis usually care about Maths and English being at a grade 5 however this again may vary depending on the course and uni. I would suggest browsing through a list of unis you are interested in and talking a look at the entry requirements for both GCSE's and Alevels. If you are still unsure then you can always contact the uni/unis and ask them directly. Hope this helps

Best of luck with Alevels!

Joanna
-Uni fo Kent Rep
Original post by coygks

You got an 8 in English lit and a 4 in English language?
Original post by Reality Check
You got an 8 in English lit and a 4 in English language?

I’m glad I’m not the only one who spotted this and got confused. Lit is arguably harder because it requires memory so idk how that’s even possible 😭
Generally no, although it varies a little and there are exceptions.

Firstly, most universities will have minimum standards for English language and maths at GCSE. You need to meet these in order to be considered - with a 4 in English language you may need to liaise with your school about potentially retaking since many unis will want a 5 minimum.

Outside of that, GCSEs tend to not be weighed heavily except by some medical schools (but not all), LSE for some courses (the more competitive ones generally e.g. single honours economics), and most courses at Oxford (although STEM subjects like maths/CS/physics and similar tend to put relatively little emphasis on them and are the major exceptions).

I think if you can retake English language and get a 5 or 6 you should be fine for the vast majority of courses and unis.
Original post by ALEreapp
I’m glad I’m not the only one who spotted this and got confused. Lit is arguably harder because it requires memory so idk how that’s even possible 😭

Exactly! I thought it might be a mistake or something?!
Reply 9
Exactly! I thought it might be a mistake or something?!

Unfortunately not. I guess I’m going to retake and just aim for a 6 or 7.
Original post by coygks
Unfortunately not. I guess I’m going to retake and just aim for a 6 or 7.

Well, I suppose it depends on (a) your definition of 'top' universities, (b) what degree you want to read. Most 'top' universities have a blanket requirement of 5 or higher at GCSE maths and English, regardless of course. However, you do have an 8 at GCSE English - just literature, and I don't remember seeing universities mandate a 5 or higher in English language - just 'English'. So you might well be OK.

@Admit-One - what do you think of this? Will s/he be fine with the 8 in English lit and a 4 at English lang?
(edited 1 year ago)
Well, I suppose it depends on (a) your definition of 'top' universities, (b) what degree you want to read. Most 'top' universities have a blanket requirement of 5 or higher at GCSE maths and English, regardless of course. However, you do have an 8 at GCSE English - just literature, and I don't remember seeing universities mandate a 5 or higher in English language - just 'English'. So you might well be OK.

@Admit-One - what do you think of this? Will s/he be fine with the 8 in English lit and a 4 at English lang?

Depends on the uni, some might take the Lit into account but I do know of some that insist on Eng Lang to meet their requirements. Less competitive unis/courses likely to be more flexible.

Always worth contacting possible choices to check rather than wasting a UCAS slot.
Original post by coygks

Heya!
Most Unis just want english lang and maths. I would recommend checking entry requirements for the unis you want to apply to and double checking what grade you need for english lang as sometimes they may ask for a 4 or a 5 (depending on uni). usually from what I've seen they would prefer 5 as a minimum. If they would ask for a higher grade for English lang I would recommend looking into resitting it, if entry requirements say 4 then you should be fine :h:

I hope this is helpful!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest