Original post by Marebak
for aqa btec certificate- what would my overall grade be here:
pass
distinction
distinction
merit
distinction
distinction.

AQA doesn't offer BTECs, so there is no such thing as an "aqa btec certificate". The qualifications listed by AQA are here. I'm going to assume, therefore, that you mean Pearson BTEC.

Are you sure you mean a BTEC Certificate (equivalent to half an A level), and not an BTEC Extended Certificate (equivalent to a single A level)?

That being said, I don't know any Extended Certificates which contain 6 units. They normally have 4 or 5 units - although 3 is not unheard of. So perhaps this is actually a BTEC Foundation Diploma (equivalent to 1.5 A levels)?

What's the full name of your BTEC? (For example, "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate in Applied Science" or "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Health and Social Care.)

Also, as different units are often of different sizes, you'll need to provide the unit number for each of those grades (a pass in a small unit will have less impact that a pass in a large unit, for example) to get an accurate answer for your overall grade.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
AQA doesn't offer BTECs, so there is no such thing as an "aqa btec certificate". The qualifications listed by AQA are here. I'm going to assume, therefore, that you mean Pearson BTEC.

Are you sure you mean a BTEC Certificate (equivalent to half an A level), and not an BTEC Extended Certificate (equivalent to a single A level)?

That being said, I don't know any Extended Certificates which contain 6 units. They normally have 4 or 5 units - although 3 is not unheard of. So perhaps this is actually a BTEC Foundation Diploma (equivalent to 1.5 A levels)?

What's the full name of your BTEC? (For example, "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate in Applied Science" or "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Health and Social Care.)

Also, as different units are often of different sizes, you'll need to provide the unit number for each of those grades (a pass in a small unit will have less impact that a pass in a large unit, for example) to get an accurate answer for your overall grade.

OHHH its applied science aqa extended certificate
loool idk the quantity of how heavy each unit is ngl
Original post by Marebak
OHHH its applied science aqa extended certificate
loool idk the quantity of how heavy each unit is ngl

OK. I think we have a winner. This AQA specification covers their "Level 3 Certificate in Applied Science" and their "Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Science". The Certificate contains 3 units and the Extended Certificate covers 6 units (the first 5 being mandatory and the 6th being optional from a choice of 3). So this checks out.

Units 1, 3 and 4 are assessed externally by written exam. Units 2, 5 and 6a/b/c (depend on your option) are assessed internally by portfolio (which I assume means coursework). Each unit is worth 100 uniform mark scale (UMS) points. Externally assessed units (i..e exams) are scored out of 60, then converted to UMS points (using a scale which changes each year). Internally assessed units are assessed based upon meeting a series of criteria, of which there are 25 per unit. The number of criteria met is then multiplied by 4 to convert it into UMS points.

The grade which is assigned to each unit is based upon reaching a particular UMS point threshold in that unit. 40 UMS points gets you a pass, 60 UMS points gets you a merit and 80 UMS points gets to a distinction.

When working out your overall grade, they look at the UMS points per unit, not the grade per unit. This makes converting from unit grades to an overall grade problematic.

For example, you got a pass in your first unit. That could have been because you gained 40 UMS points or because you gained 59 UMS points. We know you can't have gained 60 UMS points, as that would have been graded as a merit. But there's still a large range of UMS points values. As it is the sum of these UMS points values which are used for your overall grade, knowing your UMS points per unit (not just the grade per unit) is important.

However, we can use ranges to give a worst and best case scenario. I've done this for your six units (based upon the grades you provided earlier) below:

pass (40-59 UMS points)
distinction (80-100 UMS points)
merit (60-79 UMS points)

You have a minimum of 40+80+80+60+80+80 = 420 UMS points overall. That's a merit (as is anything between 360 and 479).
You have a maximum of 59+100+100+79+100+100 = 538 UMS points overall. That's just shy of a Distinction* (which would have needed 540 UMS points).

So, the best we can say is that overall you gained a Merit or a Distinction, but it's impossible to tell without the UMS points per unit.

Quick Reply

Latest