The Student Room Group

A level year 12 help

Hi I already did one of these for physics but for overall this one is for overall A level help. I did quite well in my GCSE's however I've (just) started A levels and I am taking Edexcel maths, Edexcel A economics and OCR A physics. However recently we got out winter assessment tests back on everything we've learnt so far since September (2022). I was unable to revise during Christmas due to mental struggles. I am planning to read Materials science and engineering at uni and none of my revision techniques that I used for GCSE seem to be working. Did anyone else experience this? is there anything you suggest I do and what revision websites/ techniques I should use.
(edited 12 months ago)
Original post by misterquackers
Hi I already did one of these for physics but for overall this one is for overall A level help. I did quite well in my GCSE's however I've (just) started A levels and I am taking Edexcel maths, Edexcel A economics and OCR A physics. However recently we got out winter assessment tests back on everything we've learnt so far since September (2022) and I've got a U,E,D. I was unable to revise during Christmas due to mental struggles. I am planning to read Materials science and engineering at uni and none of my revision techniques that I used for GCSE seem to be working. Did anyone else experience this? is there anything you suggest I do and what revision websites/ techniques I should use.

I can offer recommendations for Maths only. I would be doing physics later in the year. If you have some problems with economic concepts, I might be able to help.

With maths, you are essentially trying to practice doing past questions. It's a skill and it's not knowledge where you can regurgitate and expect to have a high mark from it. You will need to look through your answers and compare it to the mark scheme to do a lot of self reflection - where did you went wrong, what would you need to think at certain points in the question, how are the marks allocated, what can you learn from your approach?
The key sources that I used for Maths include:

β€’

TL Maths

β€’

Bicen Maths

β€’

ExamSolutions

β€’

PhysicsandMathsTutor.com

β€’

CGP exam practice and revision guides (specific for your exam board)

The first 3 sources have their own YouTube channel as well as their own websites. I am not a fan of CGP, but apparently it's one of the few publishers out there that offer resources for A Level Maths for some reason. In all cases, I woudl prioritise getting the exam practice books over the revision guides.

GCSE was essentially testing you on your knowledge, not so much your skills. With GCSEs, you can pretty much read through the textbooks and expect to at least pass. The questions were a lot more structured and guided. With A Levels, your skills and applied thinking would be tested more rigorously and you are given siginficantly less guidance. I would treat the A Levels as if it's a completely different animal, because it is. Don't confuse GCSEs with A Levels (likewise how you will study and will be examined at university will be completely different to that at GCSE and A Level).
Thank you for your help!
i got UUE in yr 12 mocks cuz i didnt do anything( bunked most of my lessons) till december then after started going to lessons and revising a bit after(catching up too) and ended up with 3 A's in may mocks. im in yr 13 now and i feel like i couldve easily even gotten all A* 's if i revised more seriously. but yes it is DEFINITELY possible
Original post by aaryan_sandhu
i got UUE in yr 12 mocks cuz i didnt do anything( bunked most of my lessons) till december then after started going to lessons and revising a bit after(catching up too) and ended up with 3 A's in may mocks. im in yr 13 now and i feel like i couldve easily even gotten all A* 's if i revised more seriously. but yes it is DEFINITELY possible

btw im taking chem physics and maths
Oh wow that's really good, how did you revise for physics?
Hi I already did one of these for physics but for overall this one is for overall A level help. I did quite well in my GCSE's however I've (just) started A levels and I am taking Edexcel maths, Edexcel A economics and OCR A physics. However recently we got out winter assessment tests back on everything we've learnt so far since September (2022) and I've got a U,E,D. I was unable to revise during Christmas due to mental struggles. I am planning to read Materials science and engineering at uni and none of my revision techniques that I used for GCSE seem to be working. Did anyone else experience this? is there anything you suggest I do and what revision websites/ techniques I should use.

this is not really practical help/advice, just assurance: you will be ohkay by the end of your a levels, genuinely! the end of winter/start of spring term is truly the worst it gets mentally. i am in year 13 rn, on track to get my predicts (hopefully!) but i was flunking pretty much every test this time last year πŸ˜… year 12 is ******* HARD, especially if you are struggling with mental health stuff. you are clearly conscious of your grades and are taking the appropriate steps to improve them :-)) communicate with your teachers and, if you can, your parents about what you feel went wrong in the winter assessments and how youre gonna improve! you got this πŸ‘
Thanks for the reassurance! Good luck in your exams!!
Original post by alexharker
this is not really practical help/advice, just assurance: you will be ohkay by the end of your a levels, genuinely! the end of winter/start of spring term is truly the worst it gets mentally. i am in year 13 rn, on track to get my predicts (hopefully!) but i was flunking pretty much every test this time last year πŸ˜… year 12 is ******* HARD, especially if you are struggling with mental health stuff. you are clearly conscious of your grades and are taking the appropriate steps to improve them :-)) communicate with your teachers and, if you can, your parents about what you feel went wrong in the winter assessments and how youre gonna improve! you got this πŸ‘
Oh wow that's really good, how did you revise for physics?

try to understand the content first by either watching youtube videos, going on save my exams or one of those sites and make flashcards, once ur confident that you know most of the content bang out exam questions for that topic
Original post by aaryan_sandhu
try to understand the content first by either watching youtube videos, going on save my exams or one of those sites and make flashcards, once ur confident that you know most of the content bang out exam questions for that topic

totally agree with this. im y13 doing physics and my general process is do a few questions (maybe multiple choice) on a topic i want to revise and i can use that to figure out specific things to revise and work on first, then review and learn the content, before doing more practice questions to consolidate it.
Thanks everyone, I will take and use your advice!

Heya!
I would recommend relooking at your revision technique. It happened to me as well when my GCVSE techniques weren't working for my a-levels. This is because the questions get trickier and want to ensure you understood the material rather than try to memorise every answer :h: I would recommend doing practice questions by topic + going over the mark scheme after and noting down WHY you have lost the marks and how you can improve your answer the next time. If it helps, Study mind has a few articles you can check out to read more on how to get higher scores :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest