The Student Room Group

Career

i got an admission to essex university for psychology masters (conversion). what are possible careers opportunities after having done a conversion course ?
Original post by aspaasp98
i got an admission to essex university for psychology masters (conversion). what are possible careers opportunities after having done a conversion course ?

This is an odd way round of doing things. Most people would look at the job opportunities offered as a result of having taken a particular course before applying for and being accepted on that course.

Even better would be to decide what you want to do, career-wise, before looking for courses which might help you reach that goal.

Given that this is a Psychology conversion course, would it be reasonable to say that you have an interest in Psychology and potentially becoming a practicing Psychologist? (That would require further post-graduate study, by the way.)

In what subject was your undergraduate degree?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
This is an odd way round of doing things. Most people would look at the job opportunities offered as a result of having taken a particular course before applying for and being accepted on that course.

Even better would be to decide what you want to do, career-wise, before looking for courses which might help you reach that goal.

Given that this is a Psychology conversion course, would it be reasonable to say that you have an interest in Psychology and potentially becoming a practicing Psychologist? (That would require further post-graduate study, by the way.)

In what subject was your undergraduate degree?

I have an undergraduate degree in psychology from India. I would like practice as a clinical psychologist but I am required to have done the clinical psychology module which wasn’t included in my undergraduate course plan, hence the conversion course.

Can I practice as a counselor after the conversion course or do I have to pursue clinical psychology and then only be able to practice as a psychologist?
Original post by aspaasp98
I have an undergraduate degree in psychology from India. I would like practice as a clinical psychologist but I am required to have done the clinical psychology module which wasn’t included in my undergraduate course plan, hence the conversion course.

Can I practice as a counselor after the conversion course or do I have to pursue clinical psychology and then only be able to practice as a psychologist?

OK. That makes sense.

I don't know much about Counselling as a career, I'm afraid. I recommend that you read the "Careers in Counselling" page on the BACP web site, here, for details of any necessary qualifications and experience required. I can tell you that (unlike "Clinical Psychologist"), the job title "Counsellor" is not legally protected. That means that (theoretically at least) anyone can call themselves a Counsellor, regardless of their knowledge, training or experience.

To be a practicing Psychologist in the UK you need to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), which mandates that you pass one of their approved programmes. For most of the Psychology disciplines (including Clinical Psychology) that approved programme is a doctorate. You can see the full list of approved programmes here (select Practitioner Psychologist from the "Choose a profession" list; you can further filter by Modality to target Clinical Psychologist specifically).

The way most Clinical Psychologists are trained (via the doctorate) in the UK means that they are technically employees of the NHS. The training is paid for, and the student receive an NHS salary. As you might imagine, this makes a place on these courses highly desirable and extremely competitive. There are some self-funded places too, but not very many. There are also requirements in terms of residency (which I mention given that you completed your undergraduate degree being from India).

All Clinical Psychology doctorates are applied for via the "Clearing House for Postgraduate Courses in Clinical Psychology" (great name!) and I would very much advise that you read everything that have to say on their web site, especially with regards to funding (here) and residence requirements (here) if you hope to pursue a Clinical Psychology career in the UK.

Looping-back to the Counselling option, I believe that is a significant easier route.

Quick Reply

Latest