The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Marine Biology: Exeter vs Plymouth

hello,

i have received an offer from both University of Exeter and university Plymouth to study marine biology, and i'm finding it very difficult to decide between the two.

i like aspects of both unis, and courses are similar so i'm finding it hard to decide. i like the fieldwork intensive aspects of the Plymouth course but i know Exeter also offers this to an extent.

also, as i will be at the smaller Penrynn campus for Exeter i'm worried i might find there is not much to do or find it a bit isolating. I like Plymouth as a city but i don't think its as nice a place to live and if there would be more student life there??

I think i'm leaning more towards Exeter, but any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
I’m also considering the Exeter course but I’m not sure about the campus and being bored and lonely
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Anonymous
hello,

i have received an offer from both University of Exeter and university Plymouth to study marine biology, and i'm finding it very difficult to decide between the two.

i like aspects of both unis, and courses are similar so i'm finding it hard to decide. i like the fieldwork intensive aspects of the Plymouth course but i know Exeter also offers this to an extent.

also, as i will be at the smaller Penrynn campus for Exeter i'm worried i might find there is not much to do or find it a bit isolating. I like Plymouth as a city but i don't think its as nice a place to live and if there would be more student life there??

I think i'm leaning more towards Exeter, but any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Can you speak to someone on the Exeter course?

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/biosciences/marinebio/
I live locally so here's my take on the two cities:

Plymouth - mainly students, lots to do, I wouldn't want to live there over Exeter but it is better than a lot of cities in the UK, the course for marine biology there is very highly regarded, more artsy/creative people.
Exeter - less students from what I've experienced, still lots to do, lovely place to live, the course isn't as well known as Plymouth's, has more of a good national reputation as a uni.

If you're going to uni more for the course I would choose plym, but if you want the security of a location then i would choose exe, social life is great in both but the clubs are better and there are more people generally (not necessarily students) in exe to go out with. Hope this helps :smile:
Hiya, firstly congratulations on receiving both of those offers, it is an incredible achievement!

The Penryn campus, despite being smaller than Plymouth, is beautiful, and if you love nature and beaches then there's honestly nowhere better!

You shouldn't have to feel lonely there, as there is a large student presence in and around Falmouth (right next door to Penryn) and this has resulted in a variety of night life and other extra-curricular activities. The presence of an arts university (Falmouth University) adds to the artistic character of the town, and the major beach (Gyllngvase beach) is extremely popular with students. Due to there being two universities nearby, Penryn / Falmouth is a very student filled area, which adds to the atmosphere, and there are often collaborations between the two universities. Also, there are plenty of student societies to get involved with and meet like minded people. There are many coastal related activities such as surfing, kayaking, sea swimming, coast walking etc.

I recommend talking to a current marine biology student via Unibuddy to get more tailored advice: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/life/ask-a-student/

I hope this has helped, please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you :smile:

Erica
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous
hello,

Hi there,

Congratulations on receiving an offer from both Universities this is really exciting! I was in a very similar situation to you when it was time for me to choose between Plymouth and Exeter, inevitably choosing Plymouth.

Here are some of my reasons for doing so:

- Marine Biology at Plymouth University is known internationally and has a prestige around it which not many can compete with. Because of this, the course is taught by some of the finest in the working field, and lecturers who are involved with day to day teaching are still actively writing and contributing to the scientific literature which is incorporated into the curriculum.

- The atmosphere in Plymouth is next to none. There is always something to do whether that be with friends or in some need of alone time, there are so many options. Some of my favourite things to do with my friends is rock pooling over at Mt batten, going to dinner and cocktails at some of the amazing restaurants down at the Barbican and getting involved with the many different societies and sports at the University.

- The fieldwork with the University provides such an array of opportunities from simple ID work to boat work (the university has two research vessels which we have multiple fieldtrips on throughout the degree course) to international trips dependent upon the exact course of choice e.g. Marine Biology go to Portugal, Marine Biology and Coastal Ecology visit South Africa etc.

- There is also the opportunity to do the HSE diving course which many of my friends have done and LOVED!

- Personally, I have really enjoyed living in Plymouth. It has a mix between city and 'escape to the country' if need be all while having some life. There are some nice places to live around Plymouth which you will most definitely become acquainted with when living here. The people which you meet here are also what makes this such an incredible city and make the experience that much better.

Again, this is my personal experience and know this can all be very daunting to decide your next path, but do some investigating and please do get in contact if you have anymore questions.

Between that time, check out the Marine Biology Society at the University of Plymouth or PlymUniApply on Instagram to see what being a student studying Marine Biology at Plymouth is all about.

Thalia - University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep :parrot:

Quick Reply

Latest