The Student Room Group

GCSEs

When did you start revising for GCSEs?
What study method did you use?
What grades did you get?
what were your regrets when doing your GCSEs?
how long did you revise for in a day?
when is it too late to start revising?
what are you doing more for A levels or BTECS?
Thank you
I don't really remember when I started revising - a few months before the exams I guess, but bearing in mind I had already revised for my November and March mocks, that was part of my overall revision. I revised mostly what I didn't fully understand or remember well during the period leading up to the exams. I revised by going over notes from class, using physics and maths tutor, doing past papers, and getting other people to test me. I did not use flash cards then, but as an A-level student, now I am.

My GCSE grades were:
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 9
Physics: 9
Maths: 8
English literature: 7
English langauge: 7
Computer science: 7
Geography: 8
DT: 5

I dont have many regrets regarding my GCSEs. Maybe I could've revised English more, but I REALLY hated English, so it was a lot of work and effort getting those 7s. I revised a few hours each day, usually a mix of subjects (but not usually more than ~4).
I don't think it's too late to start revising, although you should start thinkning about it. Start slowly, you don't need intense revision at the moment.

As for my A-levels (Biology, Chemistry and Maths) I am revising regularly and using flash cards, though this is a lot of work, I find my methods are working well for me. I do regular practice exam questions and try to go over older content (which is easy to forget!) but it is difficult to do all that, due to time constraints.

Hope that helps :h:
Original post by alex2433
I don't really remember when I started revising - a few months before the exams I guess, but bearing in mind I had already revised for my November and March mocks, that was part of my overall revision. I revised mostly what I didn't fully understand or remember well during the period leading up to the exams. I revised by going over notes from class, using physics and maths tutor, doing past papers, and getting other people to test me. I did not use flash cards then, but as an A-level student, now I am.

My GCSE grades were:
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 9
Physics: 9
Maths: 8
English literature: 7
English langauge: 7
Computer science: 7
Geography: 8
DT: 5

I dont have many regrets regarding my GCSEs. Maybe I could've revised English more, but I REALLY hated English, so it was a lot of work and effort getting those 7s. I revised a few hours each day, usually a mix of subjects (but not usually more than ~4).
I don't think it's too late to start revising, although you should start thinkning about it. Start slowly, you don't need intense revision at the moment.

As for my A-levels (Biology, Chemistry and Maths) I am revising regularly and using flash cards, though this is a lot of work, I find my methods are working well for me. I do regular practice exam questions and try to go over older content (which is easy to forget!) but it is difficult to do all that, due to time constraints.

Hope that helps :h:

Hi thank you. I have 3 months till my GCSEs and I have 3 subjects to revise for which are maths, combined science and History would three months be enough to cover all the content?
Original post by Kitten454
Hi thank you. I have 3 months till my GCSEs and I have 3 subjects to revise for which are maths, combined science and History would three months be enough to cover all the content?

It's possible, yes. You must ensure you revise regularly, and spread that revision across all 3 subjects evenly. However, if one subject is more difficult than the other 2, of course you should focus on that one a little more than the rest..... just don't go too over the top.
(edited 1 year ago)
It's possible, yes. You must ensure you revise regularly, and spread that revision across all 3 subjects evenly. However, if one subject is more difficult than the other 2, of course you should focus on that one a little more than the rest..... just don't go too over the top.

How about for 10 subjects ?

Thank you. I have already started revising I do one subject per day as it is easier for me I spend about 4 to 5 hrs each day revising but in April I will increase that to 6 - 7 hrs a day. Here is my study plan:
Combined science: learn each single topic then do look cover right check as a way to active recall then do flashcards and Seneca then do exam style question I use the CGP books and I also have the workbook. Then past papers and anything I get wrong I will go back and recap that topic
Maths: learn all the topics through maths Genie then do past papers
History : same as I did for combined science
Do let me know if there any changes that you could suggest to my study plan. For the 2 months I think I am going to learn all topics and go easy then in April I will do intense revision. I’m currently working at grade 3s?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ambrxxn1
How about for 10 subjects ?

Provided you're prepared to work at the level you need to acheive the grades you want, anything is possible. It will, of course, be more demanding than 3 subjects. That's not to say you need to be revising day and night, but only recapping concepts you don't understand and practising them etc.

I would advise, however, that you look over every topic at the very least, just to make sure you haven't forgotten any major details.
Original post by username6077703
Thank you. I have already started revising I do one subject per day as it is easier for me I spend about 4 to 5 hrs each day revising but in April I will increase that to 6 - 7 hrs a day. Here is my study plan:
Combined science: learn each single topic then do look cover right check as a way to active recall then do flashcards and Seneca then do exam style question I use the CGP books and I also have the workbook. Then past papers and anything I get wrong I will go back and recap that topic
Maths: learn all the topics through maths Genie then do past papers
History : same as I did for combined science
Do let me know if there any changes that you could suggest to my study plan. For the 2 months I think I am going to learn all topics and go easy then in April I will do intense revision. I’m currently working at grade 3s?

Your study plan sounds great, I'm sure you'll be improving in no time!
Original post by username6077703
When did you start revising for GCSEs?
What study method did you use?
What grades did you get?
what were your regrets when doing your GCSEs?
how long did you revise for in a day?
when is it too late to start revising?
what are you doing more for A levels or BTECS?
Thank you

Heya!
Generally, it's good to keep up with the material covered all the time, but people usually start to truly revise for GCSE around 3 months before the exam. I would do around 2-3hrs after school and around 5hrs during the weekends :h: I managed to get all 9s by making sure I did tons of practice. If it helps, Study mind has free revision material for sciences.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study mind

Quick Reply

Latest