The Student Room Group

ALEVELS - I really don’t know what to do

I chose my ALEVELS initially thinking that I wanted to pursue medicine or dentistry. I was so sure of my choice. I do Biology Chemistry and psychology.
Now my mind has completely changed after looking further into medicine and the realities of it and I truely think now that it’s not for me.
I want to do something chemistry based as it’s my favourite subject. I also want to go to a good uni because I have so much potential and I don’t want to waste it. I’m predicted A* A* A* in all my subjects (though i am only in yr12).
I was thinking of something like chemical engineering or a chemistry degree itself but they both require Alevel maths, which I don’t do.!
I’ve talked about this with my parents and there really are only 3 options:
1) I take on maths alevel as a 4th alevel.
The reason why this seems like a terrible Idea is because it puts all my other grades at risk. I don’t want to sacrifice my own their grades for maths alevel.

2) I drop either psychology of biology.
My psychology teacher said himself that I’m doing the best in the whole year group and I really find psychology quite easy. However, if I drop biology, wouldn’t that be a risky move? What if at the end of this, I changed my mind - though I think it’s unlikely - to medicine/dentistry again?

3) I do a gap year after y13 and do my maths alevel then. Tbh I don’t even know if this is possible with my school

I really don’t know what to do and I want to figure this out by the end of the upcoming week as I have holidays after that and I can put my head down and catch up on everything.

That’s another thing I fear about. Imagine how much content I’d have to learn from scratch. It makes me nervous thinking about it
Original post by harlz_chalamet
I chose my ALEVELS initially thinking that I wanted to pursue medicine or dentistry. I was so sure of my choice. I do Biology Chemistry and psychology.
Now my mind has completely changed after looking further into medicine and the realities of it and I truely think now that it’s not for me.
I want to do something chemistry based as it’s my favourite subject. I also want to go to a good uni because I have so much potential and I don’t want to waste it. I’m predicted A* A* A* in all my subjects (though i am only in yr12).
I was thinking of something like chemical engineering or a chemistry degree itself but they both require Alevel maths, which I don’t do.!
The reason why this seems like a terrible Idea is because it puts all my other grades at risk. I don’t want to sacrifice my own their grades for maths alevel.

My psychology teacher said himself that I’m doing the best in the whole year group and I really find psychology quite easy. However, if I drop biology, wouldn’t that be a risky move? What if at the end of this, I changed my mind - though I think it’s unlikely - to medicine/dentistry again?

3) I do a gap year after y13 and do my maths alevel then. Tbh I don’t even know if this is possible with my school

I really don’t know what to do and I want to figure this out by the end of the upcoming week as I have holidays after that and I can put my head down and catch up on everything.

That’s another thing I fear about. Imagine how much content I’d have to learn from scratch. It makes me nervous thinking about it

Bath don't require Maths A level for a Chemistry degree:
https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2023/chemistry/bsc-chemistry/#entry-requirements

Are there any unis that dont require maths?
Thats worth looking into before making any decisions.
Original post by Emma:-)
Are there any unis that dont require maths?
Thats worth looking into before making any decisions.

There are no unis that don’t require maths alevel for chemical engineering
there are a few unis that don’t require maths for chemistry degree, but the ratings on the uni are quite low

As someone who has applied for chemistry at uni and has read up on the requirements for a range of different unis, I can list the following unis as not requiring A level maths:

-Bath
-Lincoln
-Lancaster

There are others besides that, though the point stands that there are quite a few good universities that don’t require A level maths if your plan is to study chemistry.

Going by ratings for universities isn’t necessarily a great way of deciding that a university is good or bad. At uni, you do 90% of the work yourself, so provided you can find the motivation, you should excel wherever you go. Having a degree full stop puts you at a competitive advantage when applying for jobs, so keep an open mind.

Heya!
Have you also considered doing pharmaceuticals? There are tons of chem degrees which don't necessarily need maths, you can look some up using unicompare as a start! I would also recommend looking at entry requirements and see what the courses need and which subject could you switch.

If you really want to do chemical engineering then I would recommend talking to your teacher and seeing whether switching psychology/bio for maths would be an option :h: You could also take a gap year and do maths, there's no problem with that! it will also give you time to do maths properly rather than trying to do it as a 4th subject at the same time. In the end, it's up to you though talking to your teacher or career advisor could also be useful!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Hi there !

I'm a second year Chemical Engineering student from Lancaster University . As when I applied to Lancaster University ,Maths A levels was a requirement to enter the course .However ,I do suggest checking the university portal where you can see if A level Maths is required for a chemistry degree . If you do really want to pursue chemical engineering ,talking to your teacher /academic advisor about the best ways to go about your situation ,maybe switching one of the subjects for Maths might be the best course of action . I wouldn't worry too much if Maths is not your strong suit as in first year we have a few Maths modules that teaches students everything that is required to know from the basics .I personally chose Lancaster University because of its ranking in chemical engineering and the campus but when it comes down to making a decision ,the ranking of the university shouldn't be the only factor that is taken into consideration ,it'll be good to attend open days and find out more about the university that you're interested in before making a decision .Hope this helps !

Yamini
FST Student Ambassador Lancaster University
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there !

I'm a second year Chemical Engineering student from Lancaster University . As when I applied to Lancaster University ,Maths A levels was a requirement to enter the course .However ,I do suggest checking the university portal where you can see if A level Maths is required for a chemistry degree . If you do really want to pursue chemical engineering ,talking to your teacher /academic advisor about the best ways to go about your situation ,maybe switching one of the subjects for Maths might be the best course of action . I wouldn't worry too much if Maths is not your strong suit as in first year we have a few Maths modules that teaches students everything that is required to know from the basics .I personally chose Lancaster University because of its ranking in chemical engineering and the campus but when it comes down to making a decision ,the ranking of the university shouldn't be the only factor that is taken into consideration ,it'll be good to attend open days and find out more about the university that you're interested in before making a decision .Hope this helps !

Yamini
FST Student Ambassador Lancaster University

Hi thanks for the response
i ended up dropping psychology and taking maths alevel :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest