The Student Room Group

Can someone have a look at my AO3 paragraph for psychology?

This was answer to the evaluation of the behaviourist approach. It's just one paragraph, but I'd appreciate any feedback!

A strength of operant conditioning is that it has useful applications in rehabilitating prisoners via token economy. Token economy involves rewarding inmates with tokens for carrying out desirable behaviours, such as cleaning and working, which they can exchange for other rewards and privileges, such as visitations and recreational time. This thus strengthens their good behaviour and aids in their rehabilitation. Therefore, the use of operant conditioning as a method of helping prisoner reintegrate into good behaviour shows the practical use of the theory in society. However, token economy does have a limited use outside of prison, where the former inmate’s behaviour cannot be controlled via tokens, and so this limits the larger implications of operant conditioning. Overall, the strength of operant conditioning in aiding the rehabilitation of prisoners shows the use of the theory in a practical and useful manner than aids society.

Thanks!
Idk how much detail you want to go into. I'd maybe add more factors that affect token economy (for example, trading between inmates) and examples of tokens and rewards.
Additionally, thought you meant archive of our own hahaha.
Good evening,

I do not know the level at which you are studying; I hold a master's degree in psychology, therefore your prerequisites and aims may differ. Your example is an excellent illustration of Operant conditioning; nevertheless, I wonder if you should provide evidence for what you have shown. I offer a potentially relevant paragraph featuring research that will support your argument:

To be successful, token economy programmes (TEP) must be conducted consistently and fairly, and inmates must perceive the rewards as beneficial. Kazdin (1977) reported research findings indicating that prisoners' prosocial behaviour increased when a token economy programme was adopted, as contrasted to prisons where the programme was not utilised. However, Kazdin (1977) imposed constraints on the TEP. He detected prosocial behaviour ceasing upon the offender's release from prison in the absence of this programme. Moreover, if implemented inconsistently by prison personnel, resulting in prisoners forming favouritism within their community, this could enhance antisocial behaviour rather than decrease it.

Reference if required:

Kazdin, A. E. (1977). Principles of Operant Conditioning. The Token Economy, 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4613-4121-5_1

I hope this information was helpful, and best of luck with your work.

My kindest regards.
(Original post by MlightOr)This was answer to the evaluation of the behaviourist approach. It's just one paragraph, but I'd appreciate any feedback!

A strength of operant conditioning is that it has useful applications in rehabilitating prisoners via token economy. Token economy involves rewarding inmates with tokens for carrying out desirable behaviours, such as cleaning and working, which they can exchange for other rewards and privileges, such as visitations and recreational time. This thus strengthens their good behaviour and aids in their rehabilitation. Therefore, the use of operant conditioning as a method of helping prisoner reintegrate into good behaviour shows the practical use of the theory in society. However, token economy does have a limited use outside of prison, where the former inmate’s behaviour cannot be controlled via tokens, and so this limits the larger implications of operant conditioning. Overall, the strength of operant conditioning in aiding the rehabilitation of prisoners shows the use of the theory in a practical and useful manner than aids society.

Thanks!
Original post by MlightOr
This was answer to the evaluation of the behaviourist approach. It's just one paragraph, but I'd appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!

Could say it has high ecological validity because of its usefulness. Also I'd say for you challenge, do like 2/3 sentences. With overall, just say it has high ecological validity but this could only be applied to institutions (such as prison) and not much outside.
Reply 4
Original post by Jhffbbhgxc
Could say it has high ecological validity because of its usefulness. Also I'd say for you challenge, do like 2/3 sentences. With overall, just say it has high ecological validity but this could only be applied to institutions (such as prison) and not much outside.

Thank you!
Original post by MlightOr
Thank you!

No problem. I use a method called detco. Discuss, evaluation, therefore, counter and overall. So lets say it says 'evaluate localsiation theory'. I'd say 'psychologists have discussed whether all activities of the brain are localised or not', that's discuss. Evaluation, talk about brain scans from steven et al. How this supports, so therefore (supports cause its objective methods) Counter would be Lashley research. Then overall say 'some process can be localised but Lashley's shows that processes, such as learning, are more holistic.'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending