The Student Room Group

Oxford medicine

Hi, I am currently in year 11 ,
I have chosen Bio,chem and psychology for my a-level choices what else should i do to increase my chances of being accepted into oxford medicine.
(edited 1 year ago)
There is no way to "guarantee" your chance of being accepted at any medical school. You need to accept that now.

Also, there is no specific benefit in going to medical school at Oxford over any other medical school. This is because the only provider of training posts for medicine graduates in the UK is the NHS, and they defer to the GMC who consider all medical schools equal. As a result the NHS specifically blinds recruiters from your medical school in applications to ensure they cannot be influenced by this.

In terms of what you should do, you should then start by not focusing on Oxford medicine specifically and just focus on medicine first and foremost, and thereafter do all the things all medicine applicants need to do - get relevant work experience towards the end of year 12/over the summer before year 13, prepare for the UCAT/BMAT (the BMAT may not even still be in existence by the time you apply as it's being phased out) and apply tactically based on what your profile is. E.g. if you have poorer GCSE results, avoid GCSE heavy medical schools like Cardiff. If you don't do as well in the UCAT, avoid UCAT heavy medical schools, etc, etc.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
There is no way to "guarantee" your chance of being accepted at any medical school. You need to accept that now.

Also, there is no specific benefit in going to medical school at Oxford over any other medical school. This is because the only provider of training posts for medicine graduates in the UK is the NHS, and they defer to the GMC who consider all medical schools equal. As a result the NHS specifically blinds recruiters from your medical school in applications to ensure they cannot be influenced by this.

In terms of what you should do, you should then start by not focusing on Oxford medicine specifically and just focus on medicine first and foremost, and thereafter do all the things all medicine applicants need to do - get relevant work experience towards the end of year 12/over the summer before year 13, prepare for the UCAT/BMAT (the BMAT may not even still be in existence by the time you apply as it's being phased out) and apply tactically based on what your profile is. E.g. if you have poorer GCSE results, avoid GCSE heavy medical schools like Cardiff. If you don't do as well in the UCAT, avoid UCAT heavy medical schools, etc, etc.

Thanks so much do you recommend doing an EPQ?
Original post by not_hawaii
Thanks so much do you recommend doing an EPQ?

Do an EPQ if you have a specific project in mind that fits the EPQ format that you would want to explore anyway. Don't do one if you're just doing it to add to the list of things you stick on your UCAS application, because you will get zero value out of it personally that way (and it's not going to make much if any difference in admissions for medicine).
Original post by not_hawaii
Hi, I am currently in year 11 ,
I have chosen Bio,chem and psychology for my a-level choices what else should i do to increase my chances of being accepted into oxford medicine.

(1. Don’t focus on Oxford. Focus on getting into med, as it’s competitive everywhere that offers it and all med degrees accredited by the GMC are equal.

(2. Ace the BMAT/UCAT.

(3. Have a strong personal statement. Read examples of personal statements you can find on the internet, preferably with analysis and criticisms to give you an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of a variety of personal statements.

(4. Maybe try participating in competitions like the chemistry and biology olympiads. If you get any awards whatsoever, they are something to include on your PS as they demonstrate a clear ability to pick up new knowledge and apply it.

(5. Look for MOOCs and other free events. See if UNIQ (a form of Oxford outreach) has anything vaguely medical to offer.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Volunteering in something medical is really important. Join your local St John's Ambulance if possible. It will give you more experience than any book learning and lots to talk about in interviews.
Reply 6
Original post by TypicalNerd
(1. Don’t focus on Oxford. Focus on getting into med, as it’s competitive everywhere that offers it and all med degrees accredited by the GMC are equal.

(2. Ace the BMAT/UCAT.

(3. Have a strong personal statement. Read examples of personal statements you can find on the internet, preferably with analysis and criticisms to give you an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of a variety of personal statements.

(4. Maybe try participating in competitions like the chemistry and biology olympiads. If you get any awards whatsoever, they are something to include on your PS as they demonstrate a clear ability to pick up new knowledge and apply it.

(5. Look for MOOCs and other free events. See if UNIQ (a form of Oxford outreach) has anything vaguely medical to offer.

Thanks so much!!

Quick Reply