This discussion is closed.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
I have always hailed from the 'cruel to be kind' school of tact and social etiquette. Besides which, I do believe I've just supplied her with a pretty substantive argument as to why her parents should allow her to pursue her own agenda; academic, or otherwise :rolleyes:
Thank you for making me smile so eliquantly (sp), rep is on the way when I can next.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cindy)
Thank you for making me smile so eliquantly (sp), rep is on the way when I can next.
*eloquently
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
*eloquently
Thanks *blows kisses
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
christ, Hollybible you are 16 and can't spell basic words or run a spellcheck? Slightly worrying, perhaps you should take up english and finish school. After all, if you want to get on MTV you better learn how to write correctly to compose your own songs.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by HollyBible)
there is no shame to get paied for a performence
...said the prostitute to the vicar.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
christ, Hollybible you are 16 and can't spell basic words or run a spellcheck? Slightly worrying, perhaps you should take up english and finish school. After all, if you want to get on MTV you better learn how to write correctly to compose your own songs.
No idea if s/he is dyslexic.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
No idea if s/he is dyslexic.
She.

I suspect that she is simply very, very stupid; but you may judge for yourself:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sear...earchid=200905
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No matches.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
No matches.
Truly?

When I click that link, it brings up a list of every post she's submitted to TSR. You might have to do it yourself.
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
there is no shame to get paied for a performence
Nobody spotted this typo, lol. Holly, speaking as what I hope is a professional musician, I can assure you that any conservatoire worth its salt - be it RNCM, RCM, RAM, RSAMD, etc. - will want at least grade 8 distinction on your primary instrument with preferably grade 6-7 on a 2nd instrument, backed up by strong theory skills (grade 8 theory) or an A or B in A2 music.

This is not so I can put a downer on your dreams or point out your shortcomings in any way, but merely to illustrate that a good many people have worked very hard all their lives to get somewhere in the world of music yet see little or no reward for it. Why, you might ask, do they still do it then? The answer is passion and determination. Generally speaking, you should take the advice of others on this thread.

Magical MTV success does not come about overnight, and it is extremely rare that someone from a conservatoire will pursue a career in popular music. Certainly many I know in the classical 'sphere' have strong feelings towards a music they see *******izes the Western tradition. But I'm digressing slightly. But if MTV really is what you want to do, then I suggest forming a band containing performers you will want to have around most of the time - bassist, backing vocalist, keyboards, who knows. Then there isn't much else to do except write and rehearse songs, try buy some studio time at a place near you and record some demos. In some cases it will take a very long time after hitting the gigging circuit before anyone 'recognises' you or your band at all, perhaps as long as 5 or 7 years. You should also put in place a contingency plan in case you give this up at any time.

Please don't be under any misapprehensions. A lot of people have dreams of international stardom, and in some respects you can blame cinema and the TV for creating senses of false aspiration. Finally, some quotes from established musicians:

Joss Stone: "pop music shouldn't be about boobs and bums ... that's modelling."
Muse: "we'd still do this even if nobody bought our records"
Keane: "we've put a lot of damn hard work into this"

Although perhaps in retrospect they were bound to say stuff like that on public record. Haha.
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My friend is the drummer in a band called Thirteen Senses...they were just gigging around Cornwall for ages and sending off demo tapes before they got signed. They are now doing very well for themselves making a living out of the music industry. From what I can gather, it is more down to luck rather than anything else. I doubt many people at these music acadamys ever make it.
jamieuk20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
My friend is the drummer in a band called Thirteen Senses...they were just gigging around Cornwall for ages and sending off demo tapes before they got signed. They are now doing very well for themselves making a living out of the music industry. From what I can gather, it is more down to luck rather than anything else. I doubt many people at these music acadamys ever make it.

Yes, but that might be because they're explicitly not looking for a career in pop music.
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamieuk20)
Yes, but that might be because they're explicitly not looking for a career in pop music.
Well they have had a couple singles in the top 20 but yes you are right, they are not what I would consider a pop band...more melodic rock.
Wolfgang
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Holly... You don't need to quit your course, or join some fancy music school to play music.

Alot of bands/artists out there were plucked right out of a non musical life, on raw talent and drive.

I myself play guitar self taught, and would love to play for a living... but i know that if that were to happen it would just happen... u play, someone will listen and all you got to do is get hte right person to listen.

By all means though, if thats what you want to do, i say go for it!
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Becoming a classical or jazz performer and making a living performing music (as opposed to teaching it with a bit of performance on the side) is incredibly difficult. The colleges and conservatoires churn out many very talented musicians each year so it is a ruthless business trying to get an orchestral position or into a top jazz outfit. The standard expected of solo performers is so high that only the truly gifted musicians can make a living from that. It makes getting into the pop world look like a piece of cake and there are far more classically trained musicians floating around in bands in the pop world than you think. Most true pop songs (such as those written for Will Young) are written by classically trained musicians. A lot of session musicians in pop records are from a classical/jazz background. Bond are a good example of a set of "failed classical musicians" who have used their good looks to break into the pop world. There are many pop musicians such as Muse that drawn their inspiration from the classical training (okay not to degree level) that they have received.

Generally all the professional performance musicians I have met or played with are 100% perfect 100% of the time, they are great players. Unless you can seriously aspire to such levels of musical excellence then music college trains you to become a music teacher.

The fact is we now live in a society that seperates pop music and non-pop (classical, jazz etc) into two distinct categories, unfortunately the musical world doesn't work like that. Being a good musician is being a good musician regardless of your style.
teamvillage
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Considering all my favourite bands, and the best songwriters I know, are scraping a living out of the music industry purely by people coming to gigs and buying cds, without a record deal or radio play, I REALLY don't fancy your chances
heminder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks to all of you for your replies to thread "loney and confused" ok now i'll Try TO BE LESS SAD
I want to be a musicien I play guitar and I sing quite well I sound like Dido (people says) I want to subscribe to a musical school but as usual there is a problem with my parents they want me to be a doctor but I hate it....I prefer writing songs...and dream of me on MTV I want my MTV , I want my MTV....
Murdok's advice:
listen to the following bands for inspiration...
in flames www.inflames.com
shadows fall www.shadowsfallrocks.com
dream evil www.dreamevil.se
him www.heartagram.com or www.himonline.tv
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads