The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scholarship at University of Cambridge

Are there any external scholarships that a student apply for PhD in UK? I got a conditional offer for PhD in Physics in University of Cambridge, not received the funding yet. Could anyone let me know about it?
Original post by palaniamma
Are there any external scholarships that a student apply for PhD in UK? I got a conditional offer for PhD in Physics in University of Cambridge, not received the funding yet. Could anyone let me know about it?

See this page for a summary of postgraduate scholarships at Cambridge in general, and this page to search for individual funding opportunities.

Or when you say "external scholarships", do you mean not via the university itself?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Are you a home student or an international student for fee purposes? If the former, research council funding (for physics this would be the EPSRC) would be the usual route.

If you're an international student then the research councils have now allowed a limited amount of funding be allocated to international students, but I expect this will be very competitive. Other sources of funding would probably be from e.g. Gates Foundation, Fullbright/Marshall programmes (for US students) or other national programmes from your home country or designated awards for those from your country.

There should be a funding page/database somewhere on the Cambridge website you can look at.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
I'm an international student from India. Anyway thank you for the info
Original post by artful_lounger
Are you a home student or an international student for fee purposes? If the former, research council funding (for physics this would be the EPSRC) would be the usual route.

If you're an international student then the research councils have now allowed a limited amount of funding be allocated to international students, but I expect this will be very competitive. Other sources of funding would probably be from e.g. Gates Foundation, Fullbright/Marshall programmes (for US students) or other national programmes from your home country or designated awards for those from your country.

There should be a funding page/database somewhere on the Cambridge website you can look at.
Original post by palaniamma
I'm an international student from India. Anyway thank you for the info

In that case there is some research council funding available, but it'll likely be more competitive than for home students (I think the research councils can now allocate up to 25% of their funding to international students). So check the EPSRC to see what kind of funding is available from them (they are the research funding council for engineering and physical sciences in the UK, including physics).

Cambridge may have some specific bilateral agreements with India or scholarships specifically reserved for Indian or Commonwealth students, so be sure to check that :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
In that case there is some research council funding available, but it'll likely be more competitive than for home students (I think the research councils can now allocate up to 25% of their funding to international students). So check the EPSRC to see what kind of funding is available from them (they are the research funding council for engineering and physical sciences in the UK, including physics).

Cambridge may have some specific bilateral agreements with India or scholarships specifically reserved for Indian or Commonwealth students, so be sure to check that :smile:

Thank you very much, I will sure, check it out

Quick Reply