The Student Room Group

is cambridge for me?

hey everyone!

i’m an a level student who’s doing biology, chemistry, religious studies and epq. i’m interested in going to cambridge for medicine, and i’ve even managed to enrol in some programs for medicine at cambridge. i worry that, because i’m not doing maths, i will have no chance of getting in.

what are your thoughts? :smile:
Original post by sarahbery
hey everyone!

i’m an a level student who’s doing biology, chemistry, religious studies and epq. i’m interested in going to cambridge for medicine, and i’ve even managed to enrol in some programs for medicine at cambridge. i worry that, because i’m not doing maths, i will have no chance of getting in.

what are your thoughts? :smile:

Hi maths as in a-level, BTEC qualification isn’t essential so long as you have your 3 types of sciences. The only point where I would think that Maths maybe important is having it at GCSE though doing a course such as Biomedical science or medicine alone may at least at gcse require you to have Maths if not at A level or BTEC once re-taken.
I think it's very unlikely. Maths itself isn't required, but 98% of applicants to medicine at Cambridge take 3 STEM subjects (i.e. biology, chemistry, and either maths or physics). Of the only 2% taking 2 STEM subjects, only 2% of those are successful (compared to an average of ~18-21% most years overall for medicine). So you would have a vanishingly small chance of getting a competitive result on the BMAT (assuming it's still running by the time you apply) or in interview without having done 3 STEM subjects.

Medicine is all about applying tactically to medical schools you have the best chance of getting an interview and hence offer from. Since it doesn't make a difference in the long term which medical school you apply to, as the NHS is the only provider of postgraduate medical training posts and considers all medical schools equal and specifically blinds those recruiting from your medical school to ensure no bias, you need to focus on just getting into medical school, somewhere (anywhere!) if medicine is your goal.

I would strongly recommend not applying to Cambridge medicine in your case as a result.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
I think it's very unlikely. Maths itself isn't required, but 98% of applicants to medicine at Cambridge take 3 STEM subjects (i.e. biology, chemistry, and either maths or physics). Of the only 2% taking 2 STEM subjects, only 2% of those are successful (compared to an average of ~18-21% most years overall for medicine). So you would have a vanishingly small chance of getting a competitive result on the BMAT (assuming it's still running by the time you apply) or in interview without having done 3 STEM subjects.

Medicine is all about applying tactically to medical schools you have the best chance of getting an interview and hence offer from. Since it doesn't make a difference in the long term which medical school you apply to, as the NHS is the only provider of postgraduate medical training posts and considers all medical schools equal and specifically blinds those recruiting from your medical school to ensure no bias, you need to focus on just getting into medical school, somewhere (anywhere!) if medicine is your goal.

I would strongly recommend not applying to Cambridge medicine in your case as a result.

thank you very much!
Reply 4
Original post by Mohammed_80
Hi maths as in a-level, BTEC qualification isn’t essential so long as you have your 3 types of sciences. The only point where I would think that Maths maybe important is having it at GCSE though doing a course such as Biomedical science or medicine alone may at least at gcse require you to have Maths if not at A level or BTEC once re-taken.

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending