The Student Room Group

Can I crash Higher Philosophy?

Hi, I’m a student in S5 and we’ll be discussing our subject choices for S6 soon. My original plan was to take three advanced highers, they are English, Drama and Music and do my N5 maths as I was only given the opportunity to do N5 Apps back in S4. However, I’ve heard taking three advanced highers and doing a Nat 5 subject will be a lot of work, so I had the idea to take advanced English and Drama (I would like to get into acting when I leave school) and do N5 maths to get a qualification so I can apply for any college. My question is for my fourth subject, is it a good idea to crash higher philosophy? Is it hard? Would it be a good plan to look over the N5 course during the summertime so it’ll make me more confident going into the higher course? I’m quite a creative person and feel it would be good to have something academic and I find the subject pretty interesting. I’m good at English already, I got an A in N5 and I’m predicted a high grade for my higher exam this year, so I don’t know if that helps. What’s your best advice? Thank you

Update: I’ve looked at other options and I think psychology looks interesting, so philosophy or psychology as a crash higher?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Clown_freak
Hi, I’m a student in S5 and we’ll be discussing our subject choices for S6 soon. My original plan was to take three advanced highers, they are English, Drama and Music and do my N5 maths as I was only given the opportunity to do N5 Apps back in S4. However, I’ve heard taking three advanced highers and doing a Nat 5 subject will be a lot of work, so I had the idea to take advanced English and Drama (I would like to get into acting when I leave school) and do N5 maths to get a qualification so I can apply for any college. My question is for my fourth subject, is it a good idea to crash higher philosophy? Is it hard? Would it be a good plan to look over the N5 course during the summertime so it’ll make me more confident going into the higher course? I’m quite a creative person and feel it would be good to have something academic and I find the subject pretty interesting. I’m good at English already, I got an A in N5 and I’m predicted a high grade for my higher exam this year, so I don’t know if that helps. What’s your best advice? Thank you

Update: I’ve looked at other options and I think psychology looks interesting, so philosophy or psychology as a crash higher?

I am in England we have GCSE, A/S and A-Levels. I don't know the Scottish system. I think the Scottish Highers are equivalent to our A-Levels
That being said I decided to do A-Level Philosophy because I thought it would supports my A-Level English Language and Literature. It may well do with academic essay once one comes to grips with the terminology. Though at this time, this humanities subject for me at this time is equivalent to doing Further Mathematics without the kudos.

In my personally opinion because it is you that will have to study the subject and sit the exam. Therefore it is you that needs to decide for yourself. I suggest going to my School/College library and taking out some psychology and philosophy. Have a look at the A-level stuff on the subject. I am not so into Higher or A-level psychology. However it would be way down the academic line such as a Masters conversion course or to do something like Behaviour Economics.

GetRevising.co.uk

https://philosophyalevel.com/aqa-philosophy-revision-notes/

https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/

Quick Reply

Latest