The Student Room Group

Need help with a level choices

I have 2 weeks to pick and I am clueless :frown:

I really like social sciences such as geog,politics and econ, however my parents would much rather me do something sciency maths based such as engineering - meaning maths and physics a level is a must.
I want to do 4, but just looking at politics and economics past papers which look fairly simple and comparing it to a further maths paper which looks like hell

I want to do geography/PPE in oxford, however i know for sure my parents would much rather me do something maths based at a worse uni then a social science at a top 10 uni (if its not oxbridge)

Should i go for an easier route such as maths physics politics economics(prob worse if i were to do anything maths based)
Or do i go the much harder route and do maths further maths physics geography - would this hold me back for PPE?
I get 9s in physics maths and geog, and i am interested and keep up to date with politics/econ
Thanks
Honestly, I think the answer here is to follow your passion because it will lead to your success; two years doesn’t seem that long compared to the rest of school but if you spend that time doing a subject that you hate/don’t enjoy you’ll be miserable and you won’t be motivated to revise. PPE want to see that you have a passion for the subject, so I would say politics/econ is a must if you’re applying. Just as a last point, if you’re targeting oxbridge it’s like an extracurricular - people usually have trouble doing 4 a-levels if the subjects are very different (e.g Physics and Geography) so I’d reccomend thinking very carefully about if 4 is the right choice for you or not - Oxbridge don’t think of you any more or less highly if you do 4.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by sixthformstress
Honestly, I think the answer here is to follow your passion because it will lead to your success; two years doesn’t seem that long compared to the rest of school but if you spend that time doing a subject that you hate/don’t enjoy you’ll be miserable and you won’t be motivated to revise. PPE want to see that you have a passion for the subject, so I would say politics/econ is a must if you’re applying. Just as a last point, if you’re targeting oxbridge it’s like an extracurricular - people usually have trouble doing 4 a-levels if the subjects are very different (e.g Physics and Geography) so I’d reccomend thinking very carefully about if 4 is the right choice for you or not - Oxbridge don’t think of you any more or less highly if you do 4.

Hope that helps!

Would an epq based on politics/econ help me?
My school actually recommends physics and geography as a complementary choice , and my physics teacher was the one who told me to consider maths physics fm and geography as it obviously is great for most engineering courses and PPE is still a possibility - is econ/politics still needed?
Original post by jos126
My school actually recommends physics and geography as a complementary choice , and my physics teacher was the one who told me to consider maths physics fm and geography as it obviously is great for most engineering courses and PPE is still a possibility - is econ/politics still needed?

What grade are you working at in Maths? You don't need FMaths for Engineering - the non-RG unis tend to be a better prep for work
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
What grade are you working at in Maths? You don't need FMaths for Engineering - the non-RG unis tend to be a better prep for work

grade 9 on mock - however i want to go to a good uni as my parents will just make me stay at a local one if i dont do good
Original post by jos126
grade 9 on mock - however i want to go to a good uni as my parents will just make me stay at a local one if i dont do good

Good unis for Engineering are Bath, :Loughborough and Oxford Brookes - you are wise to look at a year in Industry too.

However, choose the A levels YOU want to do - you won't do well if you don't enjoy them.
Original post by jos126
I have 2 weeks to pick and I am clueless :frown:

I really like social sciences such as geog,politics and econ, however my parents would much rather me do something sciency maths based such as engineering - meaning maths and physics a level is a must.
I want to do 4, but just looking at politics and economics past papers which look fairly simple and comparing it to a further maths paper which looks like hell

I want to do geography/PPE in oxford, however i know for sure my parents would much rather me do something maths based at a worse uni then a social science at a top 10 uni (if its not oxbridge)

Should i go for an easier route such as maths physics politics economics(prob worse if i were to do anything maths based)
Or do i go the much harder route and do maths further maths physics geography - would this hold me back for PPE?
I get 9s in physics maths and geog, and i am interested and keep up to date with politics/econ
Thanks

Heya!
Unis just need 3 alvls so you don't need 4 unless 4th one is FM :h: I would recommend checking out Oxford PPE entry requirement here. it is actually recommended for you to have maths, it also states ' You may apply for PPE having done any combination of subjects at school; it is not necessary to have studied Politics, Philosophy or Economics. History can provide a useful background, but is not essential.' So essay subjects aren't essential for ppe, so either of your choices should be fine.
If you want to have geography option open then I would perhaps recommend having geography as one subject. Your second option is 3alvls + FM which is good as having 4th as FM should be fine :h: I wouldn't really recommend 4 alvls unless you are 100% sure you can handle it. Oxford is competitive and A*A*A* looks better than AAAA.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by jos126

As far as I’m concerned, EPQ is far more overrated as a subject choice. Sundry competitive unis would probably prefer to see students studying econ/politics in AS level rather than doing an EPQ.

An EPQ couldn’t really show that you have a broad and comprehensive overall understanding on the subject, but it simply demonstrates that you have a sound command on research and writing skills.

If you yearning for show the admission officer that you have the same skill as EPQ students, you could simply partake some essay contests, like John Locke, Marshall, etc. The only latent risk is that these are all relatively competitive so that if you didn’t win at the end of the day, all efforts go in vain.

For your discretion.

Quick Reply

Latest