The Student Room Group

Civil service contracts

Hi,

I just wondered how soon after accepting a formal offer for a role did you receive your contract?

I also wondered whether you received your contract through the civil service jobs portal or in a different way?

I have been told that I won't receive a formal job offer letter but I'll receive my contract 'shortly'. I'm hoping this is before I start the role, but depending on how they provide you with your contract, I'm not sure if this would happen

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MAI10
Hi,

I just wondered how soon after accepting a formal offer for a role did you receive your contract?

I also wondered whether you received your contract through the civil service jobs portal or in a different way?

I have been told that I won't receive a formal job offer letter but I'll receive my contract 'shortly'. I'm hoping this is before I start the role, but depending on how they provide you with your contract, I'm not sure if this would happen

Thanks

Just to add, my role is with DWP.
Original post by MAI10
Just to add, my role is with DWP.

It will definitely be before you start your role. When I started DWP 4 years ago they were quite quick and sent it straight after PECs went through. I’m also in the same boat as you at the moment as I’ve been offered a role in DWP again and I’ve been told the same to wait for the formal offer and contract.
Reply 3
Original post by Aysha98x
It will definitely be before you start your role. When I started DWP 4 years ago they were quite quick and sent it straight after PECs went through. I’m also in the same boat as you at the moment as I’ve been offered a role in DWP again and I’ve been told the same to wait for the formal offer and contract.

That's great! Thanks for the reply. I am needing the contract for a mortgage application so really hoping it arrives soon. Can I just check how they sent your contract to you? Was it through CS jobs?
Original post by MAI10
That's great! Thanks for the reply. I am needing the contract for a mortgage application so really hoping it arrives soon. Can I just check how they sent your contract to you? Was it through CS jobs?

Back then it was sent by email. I’m not sure if the process has changed now. I would email the vacancy holder or whoever from the recruitment contacted you about your provisional offer, PECs etc. If they can’t provide a contract straight away, maybe ask for a confirmation email that you have been provisionally offered the job which confirms location and salary? It may help.
Reply 5
Original post by Aysha98x
Back then it was sent by email. I’m not sure if the process has changed now. I would email the vacancy holder or whoever from the recruitment contacted you about your provisional offer, PECs etc. If they can’t provide a contract straight away, maybe ask for a confirmation email that you have been provisionally offered the job which confirms location and salary? It may help.

Unfortunately, we have tried asking DWP for a PDF that just states the start date and wage and is signed, however, they have refused to do this and they will not provide an idea of how long the contract will take to come through. Fingers crossed it's not too long.

Quick Reply